HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Cuyamaca Snow Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1

2/26/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Having not fully satisfied my hiking in the snow itch we went out to Cuyamaca on Saturday. Did 5.5 miles on the Japacha Fire Rd to West Mesa. Post-holing the entire hike is very tedious. It was nice to see so much snow out here. 19F at 7:15am.

Peak in the background

Got to a point that the trail was a shallow stream.

Then this-Decided I didn't want to slug my way through this and headed back.

Nice small cat track

It was a nice change. There was a ton of water flowing in the Japacha Creek.
+1 link
Buford
Buford

2/26/2019
Buford
Buford
Nice. Not too many people on the road?

I avoid Laguna and Julian in the snow because it turns into a zoo. If Cuyamaca is better, I might hike there instead.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
link
Rocko1
Rocko1

2/26/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Buford wrote:
Nice. Not too many people on the road?

I avoid Laguna and Julian in the snow because it turns into a zoo. If Cuyamaca is better, I might hike there instead.

About 8 cars when we got to the parking area at 7ish. When we got back at 12:30 is was total chaos. CHP had the road blocked going north of where we were-Harvey Moore trailhead-requiring chains-which was ridiculous as the roads were completely clear and dry. We just got out of the parking area and headed back to 8. Passing 3+ miles of cars backed up from there trying to get to Julian.
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

2/27/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
Good to see lots of snow in the mountians again. Go early is smart. Thanks for sharing.
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius

2/27/2019
ziphius
ziphius
Nice hike! Looks like a bobcat track, a little distorted due to lack of vertical perspective, but I think that's what it is.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

3/1/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
Nice hike! Looks like a bobcat track, a little distorted due to lack of vertical perspective, but I think that's what it is.

It was tough to take a good picture with the sun. Makes sense now that I think about it-it's tracks were all over. If it were a juvenile lion I assume the mother/sibling might be nearby.
link