HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Diablo BM Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1

6/8/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
Took my first trip out on Sunday to AB since it closed. Hiked to Diablo benchmark via June wash. It was clear and very windy with some really strong gusts at the top. 75F when I got back to the car at 10:45am. I only saw 5 cars total in the park-all on the road-no people except the clerk at the Stagecoach store. No one at any trail head parking lots I passed. Was a bit strange. Felt good to be back.

Most of the flowers were gone at this point.

From a small bump going up June Wash towards Diablo.

At the top

Video-sorry for the shakiness. Trying 4k60fps format which apparently doesn't have good stabilization on my phone.

https://i.imgur.com/OOQkFcu.mp4

One of the better registers I have seen. Went back to 1992 and had someone sign about every 2-5 months.

Saw this lizard on the way back. Anyone know what kind?

https://i.imgur.com/38CzaKm.mp4

Trip was 10 miles and 1,365ft gain. All cross country-except short section along wash road.
No trash seen-20+ jackrabbits though.

Album- https://imgur.com/a/Kegm8qK

edited by Rocko1 on 6/8/2020
link
ziphius
ziphius

6/8/2020
ziphius
ziphius
Lizard is a desert iguana. Nice one. What is the status of the park open / closure?

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

6/8/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
Lizard is a desert iguana. Nice one. What is the status of the park open / closure?

Thank you.

What is open now?
Anza- Borrego Desert SP is open to the public for day-use activities only from sunrise to sunset. The park remains closed to camping (developed and primitive).
  • Backcountry Unpaved Roads for day-use activities that do not lead into Ocotillo Wells.
  • Hell Hole Day-use Area
  • Sunrise Trail Head Parking / Day-use Areas
  • Very limited parking is now available to the public.

What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
At this park:
  • Camping (developed and primitive)
  • Backcountry Unpaved Roads that lead into Ocotillo Wells
  • Open Dispersed Backcountry Camping
  • Peg Leg Primitive Camping Area
  • Culp Valley Primitive Camping Area
  • Coyote Canyon Above 3rd Crossing
  • North Coyote Canyon / Turkey Track Access Gate
  • Borrego Palm Canyon Day-use and Campground
  • Tamarisk Grove Campground Campgrounds
  • Arroyo Salado Primitive Camp
  • Blair Valley Primitive Camp
  • Yaqui Pass Primitive Camp
  • Yaqui Well Primitive Camp
  • Bow Willow Primitive Camp
  • Mt. Palm Springs Primitive Camp
  • Fish Creek Primitive Camp
  • High public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
  • Special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.
Statewide:
  • Campgrounds.
  • High public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
  • Special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.
link
Britain
Britain

6/8/2020
Britain
Britain
On my list for next year.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

6/8/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
Britain wrote:

It's a good hike-great views. I did come down the southern spine that has some really narrow sections and it that was a bit sketchy with strong gusts. I then caught a drainage that connected to June wash. It's a nice area.
link
Britain
Britain

6/8/2020
Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Britain wrote:

It's a good hike-great views. I did come down the southern spine that has some really narrow sections and it that was a bit sketchy with strong gusts. I then caught a drainage that connected to June wash. It's a nice area.

Seen the peak from the near end of Sandstone. Didnt realize there's a BM on it. Ill hit it from June since most of sandstone now has been blocked off.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
link
Britain
Britain

6/8/2020
Britain
Britain
I'm at 'Sketchy"

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
+1 link
Brian
Brian

6/8/2020
Brian
Brian
I've done several trips to Sandstone Canyon by way of June before I had a car that could get there the usual way. It was always fun to run into people in Jeeps who weren't expecting to see anyone without a vehicle and couldn't figure out how I got there. The route goes by the base of Diablo but I've never gone up to the summit. I should add it to my list.
+1 link
tommy750
tommy750

6/9/2020
tommy750
tommy750
Nice TR Rocko1. Have only been there once in 2014 but the register had stuff back to 1955. Think there were two register caches near the benchmark if I recall correctly.

Carl Whitefield (2018_09_25 07_05_23 UTC) by tomteske, on Flickr

1957 by tomteske, on Flickr
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

6/10/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
tommy750 wrote:
Nice TR Rocko1. Have only been there once in 2014 but the register had stuff back to 1955. Think there were two register caches near the benchmark if I recall correctly.

Carl Whitefield (2018_09_25 07_05_23 UTC) by tomteske, on Flickr

1957 by tomteske, on Flickr

Fantastic! I only saw one red can with two small spiral logs(one starting in 1992 the other 2019) in a ziplock. I didn't look for another can to be honest.
link
tekewin
tekewin

7/8/2020
tekewin
tekewin
That's a fun hike. Great photos and stuff from the register. I remember lots of agave when you first leave the road.
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

7/10/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
tekewin wrote:
That's a fun hike. Great photos and stuff from the register. I remember lots of agave when you first leave the road.

There is a phenomenal amount of Cholla cactus. I have never been 'bit' by some many in any trip. I think at least 20 times I got jumped.
edited by Rocko1 on 7/10/2020
link
tekewin
tekewin

7/29/2020
tekewin
tekewin
Rocko1 wrote:

There is a phenomenal amount of Cholla cactus. I have never been 'bit' by some many in any trip. I think at least 20 times I got jumped.

Yes! A couple of dense cholla gardens. As soon as I stop concentrating on it, it gets me...

edited by tekewin on 7/29/2020
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

7/29/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
tekewin wrote:
Rocko1 wrote:

Yes! A couple of dense cholla gardens. As soon as I stop concentrating on it, it gets me...

edited by tekewin on 7/29/2020

I learned the value of REAL tweezers on this trip. I usually carry the small Swiss army knife that has 'tweezers'. They were completely useless for the 75+ needles I had to remove. I bought a couple of Uncle Bills Silver Gripper tweezers since.
link
tekewin
tekewin

7/29/2020
tekewin
tekewin
Haha, yup. Tweezers are a necessity. It's not just the cactus itself, but the landmines that I often kick into my calf. But you win with 75+ needles. Ouch.
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

7/29/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
tekewin wrote:
Haha, yup. Tweezers are a necessity. It's not just the cactus itself, but the landmines that I often kick into my calf. But you win with 75+ needles. Ouch.

I had missed a needle in my foot from this trip and I just got it out last week after some 'surgery'. I really need some more cactus proof boots.smile
link