Britain

all messages by user

11/30/2016
Topic:
Davies Valley and Pinto Canyon

Britain
Britain
I live in El Centro. One of my x-neighbors was a BP. in the years 2003-2004 made about 10 trips to Pinto. We drove in from Davis in BP vehicles also drove in from Myers, that trail dead ends about 1.5 miles from the west-northern part of Pinto. Haven't been back. Still do light packing from the Myers-8 and by Mountain springs.
11/30/2016
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge Railway - Does the Saga Ever End?

Britain
Britain
In 2013 the wife and I were doing a little backpacking in that flat hilly area above Goat canyon. We climbed the hill on the west-south side to view the trestle. We photographed the RR police vehicle on the trestle. There was a youtube video of the vehicle going down the gorge looking for trespassers, the video was pulled a short time later. The vehicle has RR tracks that drop down so it can move on the tracks.
12/26/2016
Topic:
Mt. Tule, Rozzie, Groan and Gasp

Britain
Britain
Nice may look into doing some of this.
12/27/2016
Topic:
Mt. Tule, Rozzie, Groan and Gasp

Britain
Britain
What ever camera you choose on, look into this. I place it on my day pack and larger pack. Holds a fairly heavy camera. Has a quick release to remove camera. I pack a lot of lenses so my pack is sort of heavy.
https://www.peakdesign.com/capture-pro-camera-clip-previous-plates?gclid=Cj0KEQiAv4jDBRCC1IvzqqDnkYYBEiQA89utoraiBnh8i6UzAHPiyltzmhsYc8LNslmcf27vFisQoZQaAr0P8P8HAQ
edited by Britain on 12/27/2016
12/29/2016
Topic:
To the top of El Cajon Mountain aka "The Beast"

Britain
Britain
Thats a tough hike. Lots of up and downs. 80th time? Wow.
1/1/2017
Topic:
McCain Valley Sunrise Power Link

Britain
Britain
That's to bad placing the wind farms there. The ones in Ocotillo haven't lived up to power expectations.
1/26/2017
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge Railroad update

Britain
Britain
Something I found while hiking above the tracks on the old service road. North of the trestle. Powder house II. Service trail runs about 3 miles on top.
1/26/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Don't think any ones been on it for a long long time if at all. Found another road to the north east. Ran out of time. Only did about half of it. Will hit it again later.
1/27/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Here's a quick write up and some pictures along the service road.
http://www.icorva.com/index.php/2013-03-23-20-44-53/2013-04-20-02-04-08/2013-03-23-20-37-36/back-packing/66-powder-house-ii
1/31/2017
Topic:
Toyota Commmercials in ABDSP

Britain
Britain
Filmed over by Superstition.
2/4/2017
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge Railroad articles

Britain
Britain
There is some heavy construction on the R&R line in Mexico. Here's a few shots. The track down there is really in bad shape.

2/6/2017
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge Railroad articles

Britain
Britain
I ran into a hiker 2 weeks ago who hiked in from the nudist farm, caught him at marker 105 ( 4 miles in) he mention tunnels with obstruction still. Did not say what tunnels. The Mexico side, they would still need to build a border inspection area which hasn't started, My wife worked in Tecate until 2014 and mentioned she has seen no trains or nothing north of TJ. Eduardo who took the picture mentioned at that time most of the tracks from Tecate were in some state of repair.
edited by Britain on 2/6/2017
2/11/2017
Topic:
Sleeping Circles

Britain
Britain
Found a double circle.
2/16/2017
Topic:
Sleeping Circles

Britain
Britain
The few I've found cant see them on Google. When you get on top of those post the pictures.
2/27/2017
Topic:
Bow Willow to the Linehouse in Rockhouse Canyon

Britain
Britain
Nice. Haven't done any packing around Bow Willow may now give it a try.
3/1/2017
Topic:
The boy's 1st backpack trip

Britain
Britain
Awesome haven't explored this area ..yet. Nice pics!
3/1/2017
Topic:
Double survey markers

Britain
Britain
Was out hiking about found 2 survey markers. They were about 100ft apart. Matched up to the San Diego - Imperial County border. Was a good day to hike. Only 5 miles . I've been hiking this area for about 5 years on and off. Some Big Horn , Deer no Indian artifacts. Perhaps some good quartz here and there. Found a tool bag when they put in the Sunrise power lines. Must of fell out of a copter.

Great weather.

Bridge near Mountain Springs

Looking off toward Table Mountain

Single Survey marker.

Both survey markers

Tool Package. Lots of heavy buckles and stuff once un-wrapped.

edited by Britain on 3/1/2017
3/2/2017
Topic:
Double survey markers

Britain
Britain
Survey markers are north of Devils Canyon. The pack once opened was full of heavy buckles. There was also some high end knotting of the ropes.
I think it was used on the Sunrise power link. Fell out of a copter perhaps.

3/2/2017
Topic:
Double survey markers

Britain
Britain
The survey markers are about 1 mile north west of the bridge by Mountain springs.
3/3/2017
Topic:
Double survey markers

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
I believe those double survey bench marks might be at a Section or Range, to account for the curvature of the earth. I need to go back and look at my old survey books or others please chime in.

Those are Public Land Survey System markers and they are designed to mark property boundaries. You'll find them at the four corners of every section you see on your topo map. Occasionally, you'll see them marking just the linear boundary of a section like the one pictured here. Assuming it was found along a boundary of section 18 west of the I-8 island. The GLO became the BLM post WWII so the newer ones should have BLM on them. These are different than Geodetic markers like the nearby Jacumba, Windy, Gasp etc which mark a specific vertical and horizontal spot on the earth's surface.

Thanks good information to know.
3/3/2017
Topic:
Flowers and Sleeping circles

Britain
Britain
"Wilson" haha I'm out.
Nice finds!
3/3/2017
Topic:
Double survey markers

Britain
Britain
Marker #2
3/3/2017
Topic:
Double survey markers

Britain
Britain
Marker .gpx locations..

http://icorva.com/Photography/7D2C/SURVEY.gpx
http://icorva.com/Photography/7D2C/SURVEY2.gpx
edited by Britain on 3/3/2017
edited by Britain on 3/3/2017
3/4/2017
Topic:
Strange things you find in the desert.

Britain
Britain
So the wife and I took off to explore the trails above the Carrizo R&R tracks north of the trestle. I passed this boulder wrapped in rusted bailing wire. The wife starts yelling poop and is taking pictures. I must admit she does take pictures of about anything. But this was an exception. Haha. Someone hand to much time on their hands!

3/5/2017
Topic:
Exploring the Service roads above the Carrizo R&R

Britain
Britain
Wife and I hiked in and did some exploring this weekend. 9.5 total Some finds included a quarry used for some of the lager stone walls found along the tracks. Also a steel wheel casing which was bolted around a spoke wheel. Also the harness system for mounting the pack animals. To boot a horse shoe.

Many other cool stuff found.
3/5/2017
Topic:
Exploring the Service roads above the Carrizo R&R

Britain
Britain
May do an over nighter. Its a nice area. Found a knife also. Didn't finish the trail wife tuckered out.

Here's a picture of the trail going on.

Wife likes to explore caves for Indian artifacts. She found one with some broken pottery and metal from the R&R crew. Didn't find any morteros near this cave. But there may be some around this area.
3/8/2017
Topic:
Granite Mountain And the Redman Mines

Britain
Britain
Went up Granite yesterday, for the 3rd failed attempt to peak it. Got to the final base of the summit on the ridge line. Perhaps next time. I'm 63 perhaps leave this for the younger folk.

Always interested when passing through the G Redman mines along the way up. Gus Redmans brother Louie
Redman was an Assayer out of Julian. Louie found the first quartz gold mine in Chariot valley, this is the valley at Banner. The Redmans owed most of Banner.

Gus Redman riding a coach. That trail up Granite took some hard work. Picture SD historical.

Here's his marker at the Redman mines.

And his Final resting place the Julian cemetery .

I find looking into history fun!
3/8/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
Thanks for posting. I really like whole Chariot canyon area. A great trip is going from Banner south al the way down to S2 via Rodriguez canyon. The mining history, the trails is just fantastic. The PCT. There is a neat Tourmaline out crop I used to visit. Gold panned the area in my past life time. Just small amounts of Gold dust. Too much work! Those old timers we tough! They named it Banner when surveyors mapping saw a Flag waving at the bottom of the grade. Don't worry about Granite Peak. You'll make it. It took me three times also. The first two times it was snowing. The next week after the storm was a perfect day and took off work and bagged it. BTW the normal climbers route is from the East side.
Regards

Normal? haha I'm not. I'm really sore today. I'll need to get some steep stuff in and try again. Took me 3 times to do Jacumba from Montero. I think Granite is more taxing on the legs. Love to hear my breath..er gasping.
3/8/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
In 2014 on the way down. Hiking down the ridge I came up I found a fireman's radio. Some time earlier this ridge burned up. There's a fire trail near the top that goes down for about 1/4 mile. I sat down on a rock to rest and spotted it. Radio is really toast. I guess hiking got me out of the Jeep. You certainly will find things other wont!
3/11/2017
Topic:
Best places for viewing?

Britain
Britain
There's lots of flowers but in the southwestern section of Borrego no super bloom. We currently have a heat wave which is to go on through mid next week. This will burn off some of the ground cover shortly.

3/11/2017
Topic:
Best places for viewing?

Britain
Britain
Micro blooms. Taken with a 100mm macro in a coarse sand stream bed.
3/12/2017
Topic:
Anza Borrego Super Bloom crowds

Britain
Britain
Heard the same big time weekend traffic.
3/12/2017
Topic:
Red Tail and Kestrel going at it.

Britain
Britain
Red tail and a Kestrel going at it. Happen have the 100-400 mounted. The Kestrel stayed on the Hawk for a while.

3/15/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Thanks. There's more flying wild life around the canals of Imperial county then in the desert. Burrowing owls are my favorite.
3/15/2017
Topic:
Old Desert photography locations

Britain
Britain
One of the things I like to do is find locations of old desert photography. Ralph Stineman was an early San Diego photographer from around 1910. He enjoyed his trips to and from Imperial County. First picture is Ralph and Friends in the desert. Ralph is on the left in this picture. Picture from www.sandiegohistory.org. This picture's location took about 3 years to find. I used to carry a paper copy of the images around with me, now the ipad.

Here's the location the picture was taken from.

An overlap of the 2 pictures. I think I'll join these ghosts for a ride.

3/15/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
About 1/2 mile out of the entrance of the bottom section of Devils.
3/15/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
In the late 1800's some folk thought that could be oil in the Yuha desert. With oyster shell bed there must be some. Right?

Here's the oil well.

Here's the location

Here's the overlay

edited by Britain on 3/15/2017
3/15/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
One more.

Ladies looking around Devils Canyon

The ladies

The location

The overlay
3/16/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
In the late 1970's a hurricane came through, the canyon got washed out. I have photos of a bus from around 1910, the same area has dropped 10 ft.
The 1980 BLM maps show the trail straight through the canyon. 1990 the BLM maps show the trail at Mountain springs ending, then at the bottom in the desert picking up again. Some regulations changed how trails were maintained on maps. Trail is open by permit for wheelers. But during my exploration of the canyon in 2000 I found a lot of explosives. When the BLM open the trail by permit I had to inform them that they best get rid of the explosives first. The detonators from the numbers on them dated to 1880-1890 a German trigger. The stuff under it I didn't have the nuts to dig into,
Bada Boom!

edited by Britain on 3/16/2017
3/16/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Owls are cool. I have a canal where there's at least 6 families of those owls. They are posers. But lots of other fowl flying about.
3/17/2017
Topic:
My Ride

Britain
Britain
So I started out with this. Kept getting stuck.

So lets change it. Add D60's front and rear lockers bla bla bla. Now I'm un-sticking others.

Ok these changes were bad. Bring in the rocks and associated damage. Took out the doors, fenders and other stuff.
Me in front of my worn wheels.

So now it drives like a whale on the streets. But pretty good off road. Well back to hiking its a bit safer
on the wallet.
3/18/2017
Topic:
My Ride

Britain
Britain
Yes Pinyon, a weekend warrior. The rest at the top turned around.
3/18/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Locals used to use the canyon to come back from hunting at table mountain. After the storm it was no longer passable. Great article!.
edited by Britain on 3/18/2017
3/18/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Here's a bus. The wheel broke off.

Here's the same place. My friend is guiding his wife up out of the hole. This location is under the first bridge coming out of the desert on hwy 8

No overlay, I'm out of position on the shot.
3/18/2017
Topic:
The Superstition Mountains

Britain
Britain
As an Engineer. That location cannot be. Using a Topo map , there is a valley that runs from the Gulf up through Mexicali and to the Salton sea, The highest elevation is about 35 ft above sea level. Any water above this would run out to the gulf. The area around Superstition is 150 + ft above elevation. The ship would need to be in a location that could hold water.
3/19/2017
Topic:
The Superstition Mountains

Britain
Britain
Sure 47 ft is possible but the author has the ship in the dunes which is about 150 ft. Not possible. When Anza came through the area wasn't flooded. Given this I would guess that the rise in the water was contributed to sediment build up south of Mexicali. This was probably washed out in another river flooding. Mini black sea episode.
edited by Britain on 3/19/2017
3/20/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Talk about mules. Here's some guys with a mule. I understand from a story they sold the mule somewhere around Superstition mountain.

Here's the location. Its Table mountain.

And the overlay. I'm a bit out of position on the shot.
3/23/2017
Topic:
Goat Canyon trip

Britain
Britain
Couple weeks ago we passed a lot of people with flip-flops. While up at the newer powder house looking down there was lots of people hiking. Some look like they were in agony and not very prepared. Going down the tracks is a fairly easy trip.
3/25/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Great photos..I really like them, thanks for posting. I was in that exact same spot near table mtn a couple weeks ago, was gonna go down to the spring but stopped near where that photo is taken and hiked around a bit. That was the weekend of the mass crowds in ABDSP, I didn't see a single sole that whole day out there though.

I like hiking the area thats north of that. The trail dead ends into some kind of nature preserve. Its in the North east corner of Table. In 2005 my wife lost her cell phone while we were on a hike. A few years later I went in to back track the track to find the cell and lost the GPS. ( Belt clip came off)

Two years ago we went back in and found the cell back tracking the tracks. Will probably go back in the next couple weeks and snoop around for the GPS.
3/25/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Caught this one getting a little pissed off with me. Should be a good season for these.
3/26/2017
Topic:
My Ride

Britain
Britain
surfponto wrote:
Very nice.
What type of suspension?
Front coil overs look bad ass.....Toast

Rubicon 4.5 long arm. Its a bit high for my taste. Was going to put on 37's but for the best stopped putting money into it. Has dana 60 highs front and back both axes are locked.
3/27/2017
Topic:
Be careful for what you wish for.

Britain
Britain
So I'm out following the R&R service roads east of the powder house. There's this large granite area full of caves and neat stuff. So I find this cave that has this frame of some long ago brief case.

Perhaps this was some payroll case? Imagination running here. So I look around and see this in a hole on the wall of the cave.

So I reach in nervously and pull this canister out. What treasures await me? There is something in it, its rattling around.

It looks old and the lid is really rusty and has a hole in it. Some R&R worker hiding his goods? I cant manually open it. So I get my knife out. Here a pry there a pry the lid is opening. I put the knife down and use my hand to open it. As soon as the lid pops open ...something jumps out and lands on my face. I start swatting it, it moves to inside my hat. I fall back off the rock out cropping. Rip off my hat and it jumps to the ground...a lizard. Whew I climb back up to look at my findings....a geocache.....
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Seems like the Geocache website this is from, Team Gecko, has those things all over the park. This one is not listed. There was card inside.
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
ziphius wrote:
I was shaking the detritus out of an old Coors can that I'd picked up from the floor of Coyote Canyon last week, but having trouble getting all the junk out, so I pushed my finger into the tab to make the opening bigger and resumed shaking. I wasn't watching the can as I shook it, but as soon as the sound of stuff inside the can stopped, this windscorpion appeared at my feet. Luckily, they don't really sting people, they just pinch. smile

Well for sure once I got my heart back into my chest, I wont be so anxious to open containers now. Put my pack back on and continued. My boot picked a cholla love ball and planted onto the back side of my other leg, woke me up. Reminded me I'm still in the desert.
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Back when the park banned them they had all of the geocache sites remove the listings, not sure they really keep up on it anymore though...I would be surprised to see any listed in the park though.

Umm theres one on top of Red Hill off of S2. I found it a couple years back. Its an easy hike, I may go back and see if its still there. I took the one out of the Powder house area. Was more mad than happy about it.
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
I'll keep it in the Jeep, Usually catch up with a ranger or 2. Don is the ranger for this area I bump into once in a while.
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Buford wrote:
I've found a couple spiders in summit registers bolt out and make me jump.

I don't like stumbling on geocaches. I think of them as litter.

I don't mind summit registers. I don't know if the rangers see a distinction though?

Interesting topic. Signed a few summits.
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Britain wrote:
Umm theres one on top of Red Hill off of S2. I found it a couple years back. Its an easy hike, I may go back and see if its still there. I took the one out of the Powder house area. Was more mad than happy about it.

If so inclined you can return them to the rangers at the station near the VC, they will usually try to contact the owner if the info is in the cache and offer to have them come pick it up. I know where several are but they are usually ammo cans and I just don't have the room in my pack or back strength to carry them out.

Yeah my packs pretty heavy with camera glass, I wouldn't take an ammo box.
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Heres the last entry in the one I took out. But I may take the plastic lizard for memories...
3/28/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Here's the one that's near the crest line of Granite mountain. Biggo ammo box.
3/30/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
tekewin wrote:
Awesome birds! Awesome snake! Those are some high quality shots. Impressed.

Thanks. I carry 4 lens ( 10-18mm, 100mm macro, 100-400mm and 18-135mm) and use a 60 liter pack to store the stuff. Sometimes a smuggle some of it into my wife's day pack when shes not looking. smile
3/31/2017
Topic:
Ranger Steve dies in shooting incident

Britain
Britain
Just awful!
4/5/2017
Topic:
1968 Borrego Mtn. 6.5 Earth Quake Anniversary

Britain
Britain
Cool memories!
4/6/2017
Topic:
Jacumba and Table Mountain Exploration

Britain
Britain
I've hiked a lot the North Eastern side of table mountain. Tried to see If I could hook up with the upper mesa at Montero. I have seen no Yonies in this area. Did find where Devils Canyon Starts. Found some pottery frags.
4/7/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Seen that one. I tried to place but I think the freeway is in the way.
4/10/2017
Topic:
My Ride

Britain
Britain
Nice. I maybe getting a Tacoma later. I've gone up, down and did it at night. I figure has many times as I've done that hill, the hill will have a pay back soon.
4/18/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
I have the same picture, I believe for correct alignment the original photographer was on the freeway. Thats trail coming down from table mountain. But I could be wrong been many years.
4/21/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Cool! I see from the link theres one on the goat canyon trestle.
edited by Britain on 4/21/2017
4/26/2017
Topic:
Ole Red... well a younger one

Britain
Britain
He was strung across a trail, I nudged him with a walking pole and he got irritated some what. But it was enough to get the rig by without rolling over it.

edited by Britain on 4/26/2017
4/27/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Red Diamond Rattlesnake - Crotalus ruber
4/27/2017
Topic:
Fat Lizard

Britain
Britain
Well the temps were in the high 90"s today. Went out to see what was moving about. The Lizard more likely was a she and carrying. Wasn't so fast and kept a close eye on me. A real posur she was. Out of 20 shots only 5 were in focus. She had her desert white camouflage on and not much contrast to lock on.

4/28/2017
Topic:
Fat Lizard

Britain
Britain
It was the largest that I've seen.
4/29/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
Yes, Colorado desert Red Diamond back rattlesnake. Seen a few of those. They like to sun them selves in flat spots between rocks right where you would plant your boot on a spirited day hike. Another benefit of hiking poles leading the way.

Haha yes my poles are out in front of me. I have found them in the rocks which would be the next step.
5/2/2017
Topic:
Oriflame to Cottonwood Canyon 3 day BP

Britain
Britain
Did you stay in Oriflame all the way to Cottonwood? I've over nighted near the top of Oriflame but never went into Conttonwood. Really nice pack!
5/2/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Can you post tracks or a map? In 1980"s I hiked up with the kids. It was really over grown and difficult along the creek. I would like to give it a try in the future but don't want to end up being in a jungle. Almost like starting at the top of the Mason trail and going down. Haha in 2006 I lost a spare tire on my jeep on the Mason trail, the carrier broke loose and the tire went all the way down to the creek. Was a task getting the tire back.
5/3/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
I think the fire was in 2006 or 7. I hiked the area on top of Mason once the brush was taken out by the fire. I had for a long time a pack with the aluminum frame for piling stuff on. Was about 60 lbs when loaded. Made hike the Sierras a task back in the day. Always interested in other packs.

Yes looks like the south side is the way to go. Almost looks like you kissed the PCT and then went south.

Thanks for the info. I may go up Mason and do some photos of that area before I do it.
5/4/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Your probably right on the year. The brush was fairly cleared off in 2006
5/4/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
There's was another fire in the area more north. Burned up Granite mountain in 2012. In 2014 on a hike trying to peak I found a firemans radio on the ridgeline near the top. It was pretty much burned up.
5/4/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Questions:
Is there any private property you need to be aware of? From satellite photo is that a truck trail leading down to cottonwood? I will probably pull out of Oraflame where it curves south and go up the southside to the semi level area. Would I be missing anything worth snooping at by doing this?

I'm so looking forward in doing this next year.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Anyone hike Mt Shasta?

Britain
Britain
Spent last summer in northern California hiking around. Some backpacking in the redwood forest and then some hiking on Shasta.

Shasta requires a permit for going over 10K ft. This can be bought for about 20 bucks at Bunny flats.
Wasnt sure what I was in for so I took off to see if I could get to the 10K elevation. Hike started about 75K. Must admit at 9K I was a bit winded.
Passed some folk coming down with cliff climbing equipment. Didnt tak to them . 2 groups came down with same equipment.Not sure if it was required or not. Trip was not planned so I wasnt sure what to expect.. Then out of nowhere Budda boy flew by me.
So has anyone done this peak? @ 9500 ft I pulled totally winded out. The Budda guy was really moving.
edited by Britain on 5/5/2017
5/6/2017
Topic:
Anyone hike Mt Shasta?

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
Climbed it back in the 1990's. I have an old picture somewhere if I can find it. I was on a solo road trip up to Canada from San Diego and wanted to climb another 14 teener on the way. No permit. No ice climbing gear. I just threw a claw hammer in my day pack and took off. Boots, shorts and a t-shirt. I went up the southern route. There is a moderate steep section below the summit but other than that , I remember it was a fun climb. When I got to the top I realized I forgot my camera. Shortly after three young blokes made the summit and took a picture of me and said they would mail it to me. They did!
edited by rockhopper on 5/6/2017

Good to know. I'll be back. Unlike the Last chance meadows for Langley I didnt see any food storage areas or even the requirement for bear containers. Guess no bears. Wasn't even crowded. How long to peak it?
5/6/2017
Topic:
Anyone hike Mt Shasta?

Britain
Britain
In 82 a few friends an I attempted Mt Williamson. The previous year we did Langley and Whitney on one trip. We were ready. We crossed the big boulder field and set up camp. Going to the last bit the next day. Was looking forward in going up the chimney. That night a low pressure moved and it snowed. The slope up and the chimney was covered. Though we had the strap on ice cleats it was really bad. We called it quits. We planned coming back next year but everyones plans changed. First time up Whitney in 97 I died at the cables. The second time after Langley we approached from the back west side, a 5 day trip. Best trip ever.
edited by Britain on 5/6/2017
5/6/2017
Topic:
Ranger Steve dies in shooting incident

Britain
Britain
Memorialcsevices..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbQhA2kDw8&feature=youtu.be
edited by Britain on 5/6/2017
5/11/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Britain
Britain
The Historic Backcountry seems to be a hard find to purchase.
edited by Britain on 5/11/2017
5/11/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Britain wrote:
The Historic Backcountry seems to be a hard find to purchase.
edited by Britain on 5/11/2017

Email Chris directly, that is how I bought mine, he is a good guy.

https://chriswray.smugmug.com/BackcountryBook/The-Historic-backcountry-Book/

Already have. Waiting a reply.
5/12/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Britain
Britain
Chris did back to me. I will order through him.
5/12/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Britain
Britain
Chris did say he just got a new batch in. I told him checks in the mail. Ordered a few books posted here for summer reading while the desert heats up and cooks.
edited by Britain on 5/12/2017
5/12/2017
Topic:
Pinto Wash Petroglyphs

Britain
Britain
Ran into some local tribe members there in 1999. From what I understand that the area in Pinto wash with all the petros was an old burial ground. I had a BP living next door and we spent a lot of time there and surrounding area back then. As far as safety when your next to the border there's always a risk. I never had any problems though. Check in with any border patrol you find they will tell you if there's been any issues. Does anyone know how the Indians laid to rest their dead?
5/13/2017
Topic:
What do you do with found artifacts?

Britain
Britain
There are items which can be collected. Parks and Federal lands have regulations to what can or can not be collected. Such as in the Yuha, there is a limit on the oyster shells that can be collected. Indian artifacts have strict regulations. It is best to check with the park or federal lands you may be on. There may even be restrictions on rock collecting.
5/13/2017
Topic:
Whale Peak Trail Head Garbage

Britain
Britain
This year we caught a bunch of vehicles at the end of the trail past powder house in the Indian hill area near the tracks. Took pictures of vehicles and plates, gps location and sent to park. I believe Ranger Don handles this side of the park. This is a protected area. Seems like they all had permits to camp at Bow Willow. Don't know what the out come was.

Heres a Picture of Ranger Don repairing the fence to that area the year before. Just ticks me off.

edited by Britain on 5/13/2017
5/13/2017
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Not a strange find but cool never less. My dads family moved to Carlsbad NM in 1925. So on vacation we usually went to Carlsbad for a week or so. Did one of the Rattle snake round ups. But in 1965 we did a 5 day horse back pack to an area my dad and his dad used to go. Its an area that cattle are roaming about. One of his friends had a ranch and loaned us the horses. It was a 2 day trip to this area. Fishing and hunting. There were some old ruins. My dad said when he was a kid him and his brother used to spend time exploring them. The day I was there , there was this piece of chain sticking out of the ground. I pulled it up...leg irons! From what I can researched made from 1860-1890. No one knows who created the ruins. Still got the irons.

5/13/2017
Topic:
Devils Canyon Ruins

Britain
Britain
Has anyone else found these? They are not in the canyon but from them you can see the canyon. You cant see them from the canyon because of the growth. Stacked stones. Appears it may have been a building from long ago. Here's a picture of a friend ( we were goofing around playing cowboys and indians, his brother is checking them out.

5/15/2017
Topic:
What footwear do you use for desert hiking?

Britain
Britain
For me I like to protect my arch so I like a stiff sole. Currently have Vasque Bitterroot and at 500 miles on them may see only one more season. They have held up well in rocks and ab0ut everywhere. They are not a light hiking boot. Purchased ant Adventure 16 in San Diego.
edited by Britain on 5/15/2017
5/19/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
I may have gotten a blooper edition, my cover (same as in that link I posted) says "Fourth Edition" but inside it says "Third Edition"

Just received my copy, Cover Fourth Edition..Inside "Thrid" haha edition. Chris signed it for me. Now have this and All the Wild and Lonely Places. Will start digging in now.
5/20/2017
Topic:
Another Desert Iguana...last one of the season.

Britain
Britain
5/20/2017
Topic:
Burrowing Owls

Britain
Britain
Really like photographing these. @ the desert museum near Ocotilllo there will be an "Evening with the Expert" May go to this.
“Evening with an Expert” is on June 17th. This one will feature Marie Barret, a local wildlife biologist with over 20 years experience working with birds of the Imperial Valley. She will be talking about her work with the burrowing owl. RSVPs are required, and the suggested
http://www.ivdesertmuseum.org/index.php/ceramic-art-program/

5/21/2017
Topic:
Burrowing Owls

Britain
Britain
Carrying a camera sometimes can be a pain. I use the Capture pro. Mounts onto your backpack harness. Has a quick release to remove and snap away. Keeps camera from swaying back and forth and keeps it out of the way. For me, holds my full size SLR and a medium zoom (17-105). Other lens go in backpack. Before I got the clip, camera stayed in backpack or at home.. If you don't have quick access to camera the good stuff gets away.
https://www.peakdesign.com/capturepro
edited by Britain on 5/21/2017
5/21/2017
Topic:
Burrowing Owls

Britain
Britain
That works. Almost picked up the same a while back. Here's mine sort of. But mounts to the strap. Selfie wife and I.

edited by Britain on 5/21/2017
5/22/2017
Topic:
Another Desert Iguana...last one of the season.

Britain
Britain
When I was younger I hung around a group where every summer we were in the sierras. We packed steel weights into the packs in winter hikes to build up the legs for the weight required for a 5 day trip. Recently I hooked up with one of those friends to do Jacumba from Montero. He had the steel weighs. I told him this was going to rather steep. I on the other hand started using freezer zip bags full of sand. Needless to say near the ridge line he died. Were both mid 60's. now, me I just dumped the sand out. I still pack some weight. When on the longer hikes I only pack one extra lens 10-17 wide. Here in the desert most of my weight on an over nighter is water. My daily backpack is a 60ltr a large pack stuffed full of things but I hold the weight to 30lbs.
5/30/2017
Topic:
Desert Sentry

Britain
Britain
Anyone seen this? Located off hwy 8. When leaving the desert, and about 1/4 mile from the first Devils canyon bridge, its on the north side about 1000 ft off the freeway. He lost his hat now so he's a bit harder to find. Heard he's been up there for a while.

1234 ..6