Britain

all messages by user

7/30/2019
Topic:
The Killer at Christmas Circle

Britain
Britain
Didn't know that the RR was such killers. Good series.
8/2/2019
Topic:
Light weight long sleeve shirt

Britain
Britain
Edit changed shits to shirts. Haha bad typing.
8/21/2019
Topic:

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
Ok, I'll come clean. I admit to using old 100% cotton dress shirts for many expeditions in the past. They usually get torn to shreds when I go "off trail" or down in the drainage gullies with the dreaded cats claw. I am surprised there is no blood showing in this photo. Anyway, I now use the appropriate long sleeve shirts. Columbia is the current protection. Looking forward to getting back to the desert when the Sun moves South again.
Cheers

edited by rockhopper on 8/20/2019

Sure you didnt get attacked by a lion or something? smile I bought a small machete for that cats claw.
8/25/2019
Topic:

Britain
Britain
My machete is more like an oversized knife. But the clippers is a great idea.
10/20/2019
Topic:
Earthquake & Mason Valley Days

Britain
Britain
Love the film photos. Didn't you guys do oriflame up and over to cottonwood a ways back?
10/21/2019
Topic:
Earthquake & Mason Valley Days

Britain
Britain
Ok I remember that post!
tommy750 wrote:
Britain wrote:
Love the film photos. Didn't you guys do oriflame up and over to cottonwood a ways back?

Gary and I did the Oriflame Cottonwood trip. Wish we would have had more time out in Cottonwood especially since there was lots of water.

http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/forum/topic1279-oriflame-to-cottonwood-canyon--day-bp.aspx
10/24/2019
Topic:
Rockhouse Canyon / Rockhouse Valley

Britain
Britain
Rocker guards are needed here.
11/24/2019
Topic:
Texas trip

Britain
Britain
Been to Texas this year about 6 times doing consulting work. One of the owners is a mega-rich guy whose son Trey I was working with. They have a 50K acre wildlife reserve I wanted to pack. So on a return trip to Texas in September, I took the camera equipment for doing some backpacking. The previous trips couldn't do much because of the broken ankle. Got to try out the lightweight rail rider pants.

Trey told me I should get some rattlesnake boots but after looking at them I wouldn't get far very far so I bought some rattlesnake guards cheap backpack hiking boots and trek poles. The day I went it was in the 100s with high humidity. They gave me a mobile ham radio because of no cell signal.

Antelope moved off fast when I came on them.
Elk was not so afraid, I was told not to get too close because the mating season was close.
The area was sort of flat with gently rolling hills. Plenty of hollows with trees and creeks to cool off in. Got in 12 miles with a minor case of heatstroke. No poison oak or ivy clashes.
The following week I did some of the Georgetown Goodwater trails. But was toasted from the week before.
The trail is 28 miles. Really not my kind of hiking. Too many signs telling you to stay on the trail, don't do this or that.
Passed the 25-mile marker. Don't know where it starts from. The area I was in really didnt have any open spaces and what there was were paid to get in.

edited by Britain on 11/24/2019
12/4/2019
Topic:
Lower Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
Day after Thanksgiving wife and I went out to the creek. My goal was to follow the ridgeline on the south side then drop down head across to the stage station ruins and then up the hill just north where the square ground item is. Probably wasn't a great idea to do this after a winter storm. But fun nevertheless.
Wife getting the first of 6 mylars. We probably could have ended up with around 12 of them.

Some pictures of the creek area from the ridgeline.

Wife never gives up a Geo Marker. So as we passed Leckie she had to go up and get it.

We will go a bit east then cross over the station. Well, that was the plan. About 3/4 of a mile we hit the wash area a 6 foot drop into a mess of
Tamarisk. I didnt have any cutting tools so we headed east a bit and gave up crossing.

Turned around and west along the creek until we found an area to cross. Some of the tamarisk came back with revenge and some didn't. But we found the raging carrizo creek at flood stage. Crossed it found the jeep trail. Late in the day so we headed back to the jeep we parked in canyon sin nombre. The jeep trail soon was underwater. Most of the mud was about 2 inches deep some much deeper. Both sides of the trail clogged with either tamarisk or catsclaw. We crossed back over the jeep trail headed south. Found a loan pair of boot tracks headed east. Ended up at the corner of the ridge just north of Leckie and proceded west along the bottom of it. That was clogged in areas now with catsclaw so at time we were back in the swampbog.

On the way out snapped a picture of Granite off in the distance. It was a fun hike. Got in over 6 miles and the mended ankle did well. Ready for more.
12/4/2019
Topic:
Lower Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
Glad you getting out there and your ankle is getting stronger. Looking at those photos ,I am imaging the thousands and thousands of travelers which for thousands of years took that same route from the Colorado river toward the coast and points beyond. More recently ( past 400 years or so ) Settlers, immigrants and dreamers followed the same trails from Fort Yuma toward San Francisco and other destinations to the North, South and West. Great Granite peak photo too!
edited by rockhopper on 12/4/2019

Someone told me near the station theres a grave of Frank Fox. Need to read up on him. Had 25 lbs in the pack felt good. Yes its good to get out!
12/4/2019
Topic:
Lower Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Great pictures. Granite looks fantastic with snow!

Seemed like everything had snow on it.

Whale Peak

Looking over at the entrance to Indian Gorge
12/5/2019
Topic:
Lower Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
deborah wrote:
Great pictures! It sounds like it took some work to get around the mud and vegetation in places. On the ridge it looks nice and open. Thanks for sharing.

Well, there was an opening on the west side I'm sure if time allowed Id find one on the east side. Its a low impact hiking area so I plan a couple more trips through the area. The daughter wants to take up hiking so it will be a good start for her.
12/6/2019
Topic:
Lower Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
What camera/lens did you use?

Haha I pack an assorted of lenses. The camera is a Canon 7D2. I have a quick release system mounted on the pack shoulder strap so I can get to it quickly and it keeps it from dangling. The lenses I use are 18-135mm 10-18mm,, 100mm macro and 100-400mm.. Most of these were with the 18-135mm. Weight of the lenses comes in at about 10lbs.
12/7/2019
Topic:
Lower Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
Nice trip Britain. Was out there five years ago (how time flies) in the midst of the tamarisk abatement ( http://www.anzaborrego.net/AnzaBorrego/Forum/topic948-carrizo-badlands.aspx ). Looks like Leckie gained a few rocks and a soda can since I was there. So how much water did you see in Carrizo at "flood stage?"

I remember your trip I think Thanksgiving? If we got an earlier start I would have found a place east to cross. I would guess how deep the flood stage would be how washed out it was in that area. Mud was only about 2 inches deep though some area per trek pole was much deeper. Ill go back later but with an earlier start.
12/7/2019
Topic:
Lower Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
Nice trip Britain. Was out there five years ago (how time flies) in the midst of the tamarisk abatement ( http://www.anzaborrego.net/AnzaBorrego/Forum/topic948-carrizo-badlands.aspx ). Looks like Leckie gained a few rocks and a soda can since I was there. So how much water did you see in Carrizo at "flood stage?"

On another note, I notice your Leckie marker was above ground ours was at ground level.
12/8/2019
Topic:
Daughter Shows interest in some hiking

Britain
Britain
Got here some boots and jeep driving in. Here clutch works needs improvement. But by the end of the day she could drive it but not in the rocks.

I took her on some bunny rabbit trails and one narrow canyon where I had to get her out of. Did a short mile hike to some Indian circles to test the boots. She said they were fine. Probably pack her out on some low impact trails to start perhaps Indian Hill to Powder house.
12/8/2019
Topic:
Good places for rainy days

Britain
Britain
Yup dont like hiking in the rain. But the day after is perfect! Winter rains in the desert are usually more on the mild side.
12/8/2019
Topic:
Jacumba Mountains

Britain
Britain
Awesome! If that's the hill up the blocked off road north of Montero Palms been up there a while back.. Crossed over to Puff and down.if not cool hike!
12/9/2019
Topic:
Sheep, Coyote & Rabbit

Britain
Britain
Nice captures!
12/12/2019
Topic:
Granite Mountain West Approach

Britain
Britain
Nice! Found a firefighter burned handheld radio up near the ridgeline a while back. The Redmans mines are always fun to explore. Theres a Geocache next to the V shaped rock formation near the ridgeline also. That hike is a tough one for me.
12/12/2019
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Britain wrote:
Nice! Found a firefighter burned handheld radio up near the ridgeline a while back. The Redmans mines are always fun to explore. Theres a Geocache next to the V shaped rock formation near the ridgeline also. That hike is a tough one for me.

Interesting. There are quite a few decent camp spots as you move up the ridge. Would be a good 2 day hike as well. It would be nice to see the sunrise from that ridge.

I did my hike when I was 61. I got to the ridgeline and at the base of the rocky final and ran out of steam. I should have just finished it.

This is a photo about 1/4 mile past the old bed.

Gus is buried in the Julian cemetery.
Geo next to this formation at the bottom

Its a fun place would be good for a 2 dayer
12/12/2019
Topic:
Super steep or steep

Britain
Britain
Some discussion on climbing Granite mountain. So we have going up, long and steep or really really steep but short. Whats the easiest way up?
12/15/2019
Topic:
PCT South from Scissors Crossing

Britain
Britain
I've pieced that trail from the border to Scissors. A nice hike you did. Also sport an Osprey backpack
12/17/2019
Topic:
Mortero Palms to Goat Canyon Trestle, then North

Britain
Britain
Awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing.
12/18/2019
Topic:

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
Looking more and more like Baja California. Makes sense since the Deserts globally have moved North about 100 miles in the past 100 years.

BTW did we determine what Mr Redmond was mining?

Yes gold. Gus Redman worked the mine sold it and bought it back. I believe his wife's brother found the first gold at Chariot.

Only picture of Redman I could uncover.

edited by Britain on 12/18/2019
12/24/2019
Topic:
Rain and more sheep

Britain
Britain
Nice sheep shots!
12/26/2019
Topic:
Plane Wrecks

Britain
Britain
Cool find.
12/28/2019
Topic:
Plane Wrecks

Britain
Britain
My dad used to fly a version of that plane. Vid of him putzing about over San Diego Bay.
https://youtu.be/B5HbHBeOUFA
edited by Britain on 12/28/2019
12/28/2019
Topic:
Piepkorn slot

Britain
Britain
The Memorial is now gone.
12/29/2019
Topic:
Piepkorn slot

Britain
Britain
Interesting 2 weeks ago took my daughter to it it was gone except for a bunch of boulders tossed on the rock where it was. Need to go back and check again. Perhaps it was buried?
edited by Britain on 12/29/2019
edited by Britain on 12/29/2019
12/29/2019
Topic:
Piepkorn slot

Britain
Britain
Must have been standing right next to it. Video clipping the daughter driving the jeep through the canyon. We looked for it.
Wait for your report.
1/1/2020
Topic:
Snow and more sheep

Britain
Britain
Wow, some great captures in this thread!
1/2/2020
Topic:
Indian Signs Along Carrizo Wash

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
tommy750 wrote:
Deborah/surfponto/Buford: There's definitely interesting stories and trips in this area in Desert Magazine that would be fun to reprise. The Hank Brandt lost mine saga is kinda interesting and someone has previously alluded to it a few years back in the comments (now blurred out by Photobucket's subscription for third party hosting demands): http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/Forum/topic721-west-mesa.aspx. Does anyone know if Desert Magazine is still being hosted somewhere online? Daren posted a link in 2011 but it doesn't work now. I happened to buy a CD years ago with all the issues for $5.

Did you see this post?
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/california/80018-hanks-mine-found.html

Here is Magazine
https://archive.org/details/Desert-Magazine-1966-07/page/n7 You can download PDF on lower right side of that page.

edited by Rocko1 on 1/2/2020

John he likes to find stuff. He teamed up with Scott Walker on America Unearthed to look for the lost Viking ship..Aired last year.
1/6/2020
Topic:
Indian Signs Along Carrizo Wash

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
Britain wrote:

Did you see this post?
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/california/80018-hanks-mine-found.html

Here is Magazine
https://archive.org/details/Desert-Magazine-1966-07/page/n7 You can download PDF on lower right side of that page.

Yeah, I've seen both of those article and the original Desert Magazine story from 1964. Have played around on GE a bit trying to verify anything about the their accounts. The 1966 authors appear to have "discovered" Hank's Lost Mine, a manganese not gold mine in SW Fish Creek Mountains (in the CIA) and described in the publications on mineral resources of the Fish Creek Mts here: https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1711c/report.pdf There is a trail ascending to the mine from Carrizo Wash easily visible on GE but it's only .7 miles to Hanks mine with multiple other mines nearby including the Bonanza Queen copper mine, It's not the 2+ mile hike the authors indicate. Not sure how hobbled Hank Brandt would have been able to dig a 30 ft shaft by himself, either.

Regarding the other author, I've been to the flat in his image three (not by his route) but didn't go around the corner to investigate the spot he shows in his fourth pic. It doesn't look like mine tailing on GE however. It's definitely not in the CIA and nowhere near Hank' Lost manganese Mine. Did notice a mention of a trail from the Fish Creek Mts to Split Mt and was actually already planning to try and find that tomorrow.

Great stories and a lot of fun trying to parse their meaning!

Sorry, it's Rocko1 I'm quoting above.
edited by tommy750 on 1/3/2020

Lots of people going up there in the following weeks to look. All ready poked around years ago.
1/12/2020
Topic:
Valley of the Moon to East Davies Valley

Britain
Britain
Get those picture up David!. That was an awesome trip you did!
1/12/2020
Topic:
Old Maps

Britain
Britain
davidwyby wrote:
I once found a site that where one could change the year look back at old maps. Britain?

Theres some old Platt maps but I'm not on my home computer. Not sure about the one your asking about.
1/14/2020
Topic:
Old cowboy grave whereabouts?

Britain
Britain
Went out yesterday to look for it. Didnt find it.
1/19/2020
Topic:
Carrizo Creek - Gert wash

Britain
Britain
13 miler. Started at the closed gate into the Rehab area. Ran into the Tamarisk killers. Machette, Chainsaw, Poison and flame thrower guys. They told me it can't be destroyed. A lot of Akaline salt on the ground from the rains. There are even some lakes. At the Stage ruins, I went north up to the first Mesa to find a square rock formation.

I got buzzed at by a Navy copter that circled me then headed off toward the Red Rock Canyon area.

The mesa was about a mile long and narrow. Where I came up it was a foot wide or so. I exited into the Gert wash on the north end off the narrow mesa about 2 miles south of the Gert benchmarks. Missed my planned drop off out of South Mesa by a mile or 2. I ended up in a snake winding canyon that took me to Seco Del Diablo.

Gert Wash

Marker I found haha that was next to a gully off of south mesa.

1/19/2020
Topic:
Palm Canyon Fire

Britain
Britain
Grove burned really bad. The park prevents burning and the palm fronds were really thick. This grove may have been damaged really bad. It will come back though. Burned groves in Myers are healthy.
1/19/2020
Topic:
Palm Canyon Fire

Britain
Britain
Some copter action vid. But its FB vid.

https://www.facebook.com/sicco.rood/videos/10104994544619613/UzpfSTI3MjIxNTg0OlZLOjI2MjkyNzI3MzM5NzQyMjg/?multi_permalinks=2629272470640921&comment_id=2629742817260553¬if_id=1579453436613987¬if_t=feedback_reaction_generic
1/19/2020
Topic:
Daughters first hike

Britain
Britain
Well, she wanted to so I tool here on a low impact hike. Ended up 8 miles. She was introduced to Mr. Cholla and Ms. Catsclaw. They welcomed her warmly. She's been properly introduced. She did well. The next day the complaining started. Next hike will be some climbing lets see

1/20/2020
Topic:
Daughters first hike

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Looks like fun. Did you hike to trestle?

Not this time. She was pretty sore the next day.
1/20/2020
Topic:
Daughters first hike

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Yeah, that is a hard hike for sure. I think the hardest part of taking my kids-when they are willing-is finding one they will enjoy.

Going to get her some hill climbing soon. We'll see if she still likes hiking. Shes not an avid hiker but likes to do one every so often.
1/20/2020
Topic:
Oriflame Mountain

Britain
Britain
Nice, great weather also.
1/20/2020
Topic:

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Yep, the Tamarisk guys will torch them down, I remember once flying in a helicopter over Carrizo Gorge and they were torching tons of them, just burnt spot after another.

Did they tell you anything about their mission?

The group I ran into were just workers. But they did say no headway being made.

Nice copter ride.
1/20/2020
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Theres was an elderly Chinese lady hiking around in a dress and sandals. She mentioned multiple trucks of different types were going in and out through the week.
1/27/2020
Topic:
PCT North of Scissors Crossing

Britain
Britain
Nice great pictures to boot. Been meaning to do some of that section.
1/30/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Wow nice captures!
2/1/2020
Topic:
June Wash and Hapaha Flat saddle

Britain
Britain
Welcome. Nice photos and write up. Thanks for sharing.
2/1/2020
Topic:
Gert Wash

Britain
Britain
While hiking out of Gert I notice a trail going up the western wall. On the eastern wall on top of the mesa another trail seen by satellite. I didn't take a picture of the trail but reviewed the one on the western wall by satellite. I don't think there are any mines in the area so perhaps a Native American trail? It's a 6-mile oneway trip to get there. I'll hit it next week.
2/2/2020
Topic:
Gert Wash

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
I walked on that trail ( http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/Forum/topic1344-carrizo-creek-bm-lost-and-south-mesa.aspx ) and it certainly could be a native trail. Found a large cairn and rock circle on it and looks like it may continue NW on the other side of the wash through South Mesa. Could also have been an access trail to the rock square which appears to be along a chain of 7-8 squares on a NS line. Assuming the squares were some sort guidance for bombing runs but who knows.

Cool. I got the square, I'll hit That trail I a day or so. On the other side of Gert, on the mesa theres another trai that goes ne for a while. I'll see if I can get that one also.

Seen your post on the square needed. To get it.
2/3/2020
Topic:
Gert Wash

Britain
Britain
GE just gets me into trouble. Need to know what that is. Haha
2/3/2020
Topic:
Gert Wash

Britain
Britain
Cool find. Love that area!
2/16/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Sony camera line up has some great reviews. Your pictures back this up. If I wasn't so in debt with Canon lenses I would probably give a Sony a go. Keep up the top notch photography!
3/10/2020
Topic:
Granite Mountain Overnight

Britain
Britain
Cactus field is in a semi level area. There's a dig just before it. Nothing but up afterwards. Nice pics!
edited by Britain on 3/10/2020
3/10/2020
Topic:
Granite Mountain Overnight

Britain
Britain
The burned area from a fire a while back found a radio from the firefighters. It was toasted.
4/9/2020
Topic:
GPS Collar Retrieval Near Rabbit

Britain
Britain
Nice. Good to get the last hike in at the Park.
4/12/2020
Topic:
In Search of PAH

Britain
Britain
Parks are closed it gave me an excuse to go after PAH. It was a lot harder than I thought to be my age. I had to markers on my GPS one I believe was false so I tried to get the other. I got boxed in by some boulders and called it quits. For something thats only about 1/2 mile away sure is a tough one to get to.. Got within 130ft of the first target.
Well, It was a nice day out. Ran out of putz but I know the route better to get to it next time.
4/12/2020
Topic:
In Search of PAH

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Took me two tries to find it....haha...hey, you got to see sheepies..nice!

I think you did it in the heat also. I'm not done. Need to get this one. Spotted 2 herds of the sheep.
4/12/2020
Topic:
In Search of PAH

Britain
Britain
Amazing to be in a place so remote hard to get to then look down to find someone lost his shoe. Right near the peak.
4/13/2020
Topic:
In Search of PAH

Britain
Britain
Next time I'll go up where I came down. Shorter steeper route gives me more time once up on top.
4/14/2020
Topic:
In Search of PAH

Britain
Britain
Full track. The battery ran out on gps coming down.
edited by Britain on 4/14/2020
4/14/2020
Topic:
In Search of PAH

Britain
Britain
4 wheel drive required, soft sand. Parked where tracks start.
4/14/2020
Topic:
In Search of PAH

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Britain wrote:
4 wheel drive required, soft sand. Parked where tracks start.

Thanks. No 4wd for me. I could park at end of the concrete road.

Adds a few miles. Some places on the island where I want to explore, I park off the freeway and jump it. Traffics not heavy on it. But my vehicle is hidden from view also when possible.
4/23/2020
Topic:
Show Us Your Mask!

Britain
Britain
Didnt make one but mines a grey camo
5/6/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Got to like the lens. Have friends that also have it. Nice Hums shots!

Buford wrote:
All these were with the Sigma 150-600C and MC-11 adapter.

I wish we had a feeder or fountain but don't have space for one in the yard. All these are from walking around the neighborhood. Despite being in the middle of the city there are tons of hummingbirds everywhere.

I don't know what species are in the pictures. I think we have Anna's, Rufous, Costa's and Allen's in San Diego. I'll have to check my bird books. I am not much of a birder. I just like taking pictures of things that look cool.

Here are the frames immediately before and after the uncropped one, but cropped slightly:

Had some fun with macros too but this might have been a previous weekend.

I saw them flash the colors under their beak many times but couldn't get any great pictures of the color in sunlight.

Hopefully everyone can return to the desert soon.
5/6/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Well, its in the desert (El Centro). Blue Angel # 7 coming in with a blown tire. #7 carries VIP backseaters. There was one in this one.

5/6/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
El Centro NAF
Blue Angels will not post the schedules I asked. They show up in El Centro the first week of January and leave after the airshow at NAF around the second week of March. They usually practice in the morning around 9 am and then in the afternoon at 1 pm. They fly for about 2 hrs.

Yes, the rest of the year is wildlife and hiking. You got some great captures!

Buford wrote:
Nice pictures of the Blue Angels. Is there a way to get the schedule when the they will be in El Centro? I hope they do a local flyover like the East Coast.

Only pictures I've taken in the last couple days are local wild life.
5/11/2020
Topic:
Cleveland NF

Britain
Britain
Nice shots from the top. Dig the battle bike.
5/15/2020
Topic:
E-Bike Build

Britain
Britain
Cool build. Do the batteries build heat when on?
6/5/2020
Topic:
Colorado Desert From The Air

Britain
Britain
DJi makes some good drones. I was thinking about doing the same as Tommy. Just to see what something looks like from above.
6/8/2020
Topic:
Diablo BM

Britain
Britain
On my list for next year.
6/8/2020
Topic:
Diablo BM

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Britain wrote:
On my list for next year.

It's a good hike-great views. I did come down the southern spine that has some really narrow sections and it that was a bit sketchy with strong gusts. I then caught a drainage that connected to June wash. It's a nice area.

Seen the peak from the near end of Sandstone. Didnt realize there's a BM on it. Ill hit it from June since most of sandstone now has been blocked off.
6/8/2020
Topic:
Diablo BM

Britain
Britain
I'm at 'Sketchy"
8/21/2020
Topic:

Britain
Britain
That was a good hike David. Thanks for the share.
8/26/2020
Topic:

Britain
Britain
All things come to past. Wonder how much destruction will be caused from the wall running it from Davis to VOM?
8/29/2020
Topic:
Fish Creek Mountains

Britain
Britain
davidwyby wrote:
Placeholder for a trip report...last winter I hiked in a mining trail from the S. to a few mines, and once from the N, but did not reach mines.

I will upload pictures later, remind me if I forget. @britain

I want to explore more to the Western parts of the area this winter, as well as the Coyote mntns. I have an itch for the off-trail, less traveled places.

For now, it's the Santa Rosas and hopefully San Jacinto for the first time by way of Marion soon.

Good stuff waiting David.
9/16/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Pretty cool timelaspe
9/16/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Went out for a short drive last week. Hot and smokey. Seen some heavy tractor marks and grading out by Indian hill. They added some concrete barriers to keep out the illegal off-roading.
10/6/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
Im digging this back up. Last season I did 2 quick hikes looking for it. So they say upstream from the old stage ruins, along the bank of the creek. Anyone get this yet?
edited by Britain on 10/6/2020
10/8/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
A local historian sent be an electronic copy of Vails diary. Vail was a cattle hand in the drive in which Frank Fox was killed. Frank was 14 years old.
Vail requested they needed the Fox brothers to complete the drive. On March 29 Saturday Frank made a run and was shot in the back. Vail was upset with the shooting and told the Sheriff " Where could he to go ? Its the desert" I also got the description of where he's buried, Its been a long time so yes are there any rocks or markers left perhaps. Seems like some group placed a brass plaque there.
edited by Britain on 10/8/2020
10/8/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
I'm going to go out tomorrow early morning. Nothing else to do. It'll get the creeks out me. The diary some universerty in AZ has it. Most of the newer transcripts I've seen are a bit off. If it doesn't warm up to fast I'll do some badland exploring. Place is known for flash flooding so if it's in the creek area maybe washed away.
10/8/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Looking thru Lester Reed's book he writes he was killed "about March 1 1886" and he has a picture of a pile of rocks as his grave.

Lesters is off. He died 1890 March 29 per the diary also Find a grave also lists the same. I was first told the gave site is on the hill. I couldnt find it but will look again. Per diary Frank ran about 100 yards following the creek and was shot down and buried there.Another report list 80 yards. I can cover that. I was surprised that Find a Grave even listed it.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/134930620/frank-fox
10/9/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
According to this, the grave washed away years ago: https://sandiegohistory.org/collection/davis/op-15362-25/

Would be nice to see if the plaque is still out there. Have been out there a few times but never found it. The OP below is the only article I've seen mentioning the black plaque.

Plaque was seen in 2013. I would guess it could be there. But yes the area does have flooding. I'll look for it today.
10/9/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
Bingo found it along with the stone burial stie. Will post picture perhaps Sunday.
edited by Britain on 10/11/2020
10/11/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
Got an early AM start hit the trailhead at 6:45. Temps were 75 with winds from the west. Brought in some smoke but made of an interesting sunrise. And yes the area is still blocked off.

Made quick time covering the 2 miles to the hill adjacent to the ruins. Most of the gloppy swamp stuff was dried from the summer heat so trudging out in it shouldnt be an issue. I stop on the hill to take some pictures in the area I was going to search. Then moved down to the stage ruins. I place a marker on the gps. Only 100 yards Vail said in the diary. I have 2 markers to get alignment, distance and alignment of a few peaks. I fear that it was washed away like so many reports.

Off I went following the trail of excape and death. Lots of brush and some swamp. I wasnt confident I would find anything. I arrived at the crossroads of the alignment at 100 yards. Nothing. I searched around and found a bush and a boulder sticking out. Could this be it? I poked around the bush and more boulder sized rocks.

Someone wrote "hidden in plain site" they didnt mention also off the beaten path. I need to find the plaque. Theres a picture of someone standing next to it on the web. Suns in his face I think so its either on the east or west side so I start suffing my boot about, I'm on the west end of the boulders. Bingo.

Completely buried by the winds of time. Im guessing also most of the burial is covered also. I sat down next to the plaque for a bit. Said a quick prayer for Frank. Headed off and was back at the Jeep at 9am. The burial is still there.
10/12/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
Great detective work and great find, Britain!

Thanks wasnt hard once I had some good info. Been out there looking for it for nearly a decade. My family genealogist got interested in the Fox family. She did some research and for what she could find was this.

Frank Fox was born about 1877 in California, USA, maybe in Knights Ferry, Stanislaus County. If this is the correct Frank, with brother, William, then his parents were William M. Fox and Mary.[1]
It appears that Frank and his older brother, William, were trying to get home, to Stanislaus County, California,[2] after a spree of unlawful acts in New Mexico and Maricopa County, Arizona. Frank was shot as an 'alleged horse thief' in 1890 at approximately age 15 [sic: age 13], in Carrizo Creek, Imperial County, California.
Per the diary the Fox brothers were indeed trying to return to California. If the info match is true the Frank Fox was only 13 years old at the time of his death.
10/12/2020
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Wow! Great find. How old is that plaque?

I think it was placed there in 2009.

Today the pile of stone marking Frank Fox’s grave also has an impressive black marble marker next to it, placed there by unnamed ‘Clampers’, (The Ancient And Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus), telling the story.
10/26/2020
Topic:
Granite Mountain

Britain
Britain
Seen the video Sicco posted on a FB forum. Tough hike looks like the wind would blow you off the top!
11/8/2020
Topic:
Election Week 2020 Hiding In The Desert

Britain
Britain
Nice write up. Was out in the desert myself. On another note whats your blog software?
edited by Britain on 11/8/2020
11/16/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Nice captures!
11/19/2020
Topic:
Plaster City R&R track issues

Britain
Britain
For those Wheeling, Camping around Plaster city stay off the tracks and keep away from them.

Hello,

My name is ###### and I am a production manager at USG, Plaster City. My departments include the Railroad and recently we have had bad encounters with off-roaders staying on our railroad tracks as the train is traveling. I would like to have a quick discussion with you about the dangers of traveling, camping, setting up near the tracks so that we can inform your members to stay away as much as possible. I am reaching out to other groups likes yours as well to bring awareness that the locomotive does travel on a regular basis. If you could provide me a good phone number to reach an executive member of your group with a preferred time, I can call you between today and tomorrow, or early next week.

Thank you for your time,

########
Mill and Railroad Manager
11/20/2020
Topic:
Photography

Britain
Britain
Outstanding captures!
11/23/2020
Topic:
Roost Benchmark

Britain
Britain
Nice captures also never heard of the roost.
12/8/2020
Topic:
Cactus Spring trail

Britain
Britain
Nice Report! Cool captures.
12/8/2020
Topic:
Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
The wife and I did our TG hike into the Carrizo Creek area. She wants to visit the Fox burial site and get in some mile. Our plan was at the old stage ruins was to cut across the creek area to the south. Well, that was more difficult than GE showed. We ended up about a mile west before getting across it. Once in the creek, you roam through the stuff that's been knocked over by the floods then into gullies that are around 20 feet deep, lots of them. Then the creek and out. Hike ended up 9 miles.

Graves site background McCain tractor

Fox site. We placed some flowers and covered the stone back up. There was a lot of wheeling traffic we could hear to the west. A ton of off-roaders from Painted gorge around the Stage ruins

Through the area that got plowed over from floods and just before the gullies, a large timber. Looks like the stuff on the bottom of the Goat Cayon trestle. We also found a pile of 4 X 6's McCains shack?

Ah the mighty Carrizo...creek

Once we crossed the creek area we were a mile or so to the west. We climbed a hill to get bearings and found a bulldozed area with a lot of air to surface rocket parts. It's clear we were too far in the twilight zone. There was also a ton of 50 cal bullet casings everywhere. I told the wife don't touch anything and we quickly headed west.

We headed to some hills on the south side of the creek. The game plan was to follow the north side along the creek. Nope, we ended following an old jeep trail between a saddleback. The trail ended and the swamp began. Dirt on the hillside was like the soft mud cave dirt where you sink in about 6 inches dry until the swamp arrived. We Trodded through this for about a mile.

A bit further west we cleared the swamp and climbed out unto an alkaline wasteland. More of the soft dirt but dry. Finally on a small hill just east of the Leckie benchmark hill. Another mile or so. We crossed the creek heading north at the base of Leckie finishing the hike,

Sunday took an old hiking friend so that he could tag the Lost benchmark. He's 72. I've been hiking with him since 1957. He's lost a lot of balance took a few spills but got Lost. We climbed down on the south side. I had to close my eyes until he made it down....haha.

Think I'm done with the middle section of the creek. Found 4 ways to get up to south mesa. There's some exploring to be done up there in and around Gert wash. Will also spend some time on the south side of the creek next to the Coyote mountainside.
edited by Britain on 12/8/2020
12/8/2020
Topic:
Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
Brian wrote:
Nice trip report. I visited the old stage station for the first time last year (didn't seem like any of it is original - and I think I read somewhere that it isn't). I've also camped at the bottom of Canyon Sin Nombre. Nice area but I've learned to expect a ton of condensation in the tent.

Park did a dig and reconstructed the site. What was left of the adobe ruin was plowed over by the McCain tractor.
12/8/2020
Topic:
Carrizo Creek

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Very nice! I have yet to explore this area. Looks pretty interesting. I assume the water would not be good to drink even filtered?

Early reports from the oil well diggers from 1900 said water was usable. A few years back I ran into a Chines lady who was packing about. She took a bath in it. She was tough as nails.
12/17/2020
Topic:
Whale Peak Via Little Blair Valley North

Britain
Britain
Well done and some nice captures!
1/4/2021
Topic:
Fish Benchmark and Eagle Benchmark

Britain
Britain
Good job. Was up there from the southeast a few years back. Got within a 3/4 mile south of Fish. But fish wasn't what we were up there for. Thats some brutal stuff in there. Always had my eye on your route afterwards to tag fish.