HomeUpcoming Trips

Post your upcoming trip out to Anza Borrego here. Great place to organize a group trip.

Daren's Villager Peak Trek Messages in this topic - RSS

surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/16/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
Hi All,

Hiked 3 hours in with Daren yesterday on the start of his 3 day backpack trip. I will say it involved some serious climbing :O
When I left him he was continuing on towards Villager Peak and hoping to find a nice area to camp.
Bob

Felt guilty watching Daren lug his 70lb. pack while I had a day pack.


View of Clark Dry Lake far below


Spectacular views


We found these great sleeping shelters at the summit below Villager Peak


Daren contemplating if he should setup camp


There was abundant pottery around this sleeping circle which led us to deduce it was used by Native Americans


Another view of Clark Dry Lake
edited by surfponto on 2/16/2013
edited by surfponto on 2/16/2013
edited by surfponto on 2/16/2013

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 534


2/17/2013
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 534
Wow! 70# pack! How much water was Daren packing? If it was a dry hike, you ( I )would need about 3 gals. for 4 days and thats about 24 lbs. alone. Good news is that pack gets lighter and lighter as the hike progresses.That trail up Villager peak is one of the best in the county IMHO. Nice steady climb, well marked and outstanding views.
Going from Rabbit to Dawns peak is another story. I am sure Daren will have some great stories.
Bob, good show with helping Daren on his expedition loop trip.

The drop offs on the west side of the trail are awesome.

This is from last Mays Villager peak day hike.







Village peaksmile

edited by rockhopper on 2/17/2013
link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Posts: 423


2/17/2013
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Posts: 423
Will have to ask Daren about the elevation but it was right near that west drop offs picture that Rockhopper posted.
We hiked about 3 hours in and it took me 2 1/2 hours to get back to my car at S22 (Downhill smile )

Maybe I am exaggerating the 70lbs. but it was t least 60 smile



Bob,
At what elevation did you turn around? Nice pics looking down into Clark. I think 70 lbs is Daren's usual pack weight for every trip. Can't wait to see his TR when he returns.
edited by surfponto on 2/18/2013
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/18/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
Thanks , I felt guilty for turning around when I did but he was well equipped smile

The trail is surprisingly well marked. The ducks made it really easy.
The view is absolutely amazing. I would like to go further in at some point.
Waiting to hear the rest of Daren's report also



rockhopper wrote:
Wow! 70# pack! How much water was Daren packing? If it was a dry hike, you ( I )would need about 3 gals. for 4 days and thats about 24 lbs. alone. Good news is that pack gets lighter and lighter as the hike progresses.That trail up Villager peak is one of the best in the county IMHO. Nice steady climb, well marked and outstanding views.
Going from Rabbit to Dawns peak is another story. I am sure Daren will have some great stories.
Bob, good show with helping Daren on his expedition loop trip.

The drop offs on the west side of the trail are awesome.

This is from last Mays Villager peak day hike.







Village peaksmile

edited by rockhopper on 2/17/2013

edited by surfponto on 2/18/2013

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
anutami
anutami
Posts: 484


2/18/2013
anutami
anutami
Posts: 484
Nice!!!! I can't imagine doing that hike carrying my water in an olla :0
How was the road going into rockhouse? The ocotillo look like they are getting ready to "pop"
edited by anutami on 2/18/2013
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/18/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
I met Daren off S22 since I was driving the TDI and the Land Cruiser is out of commission

Yep Ocotillo are looking very healthy Will be back out on March 9 so I am hoping to see some flowers


Nolan (anutami) wrote:
Nice!!!! I can't imagine doing that hike carrying my water in an olla :0
How was the road going into rockhouse? The ocotillo look like they are getting ready to "pop"
edited by anutami on 2/18/2013

edited by surfponto on 2/18/2013

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436


2/19/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436
Thanks for heading out with me for a few hours Bob, I made it to Rabbit right at sunset the first day. I was able to locate a water cache someone allowed to me use and grabbed 10 liters right below Villager so my total pack weight was probably close to 65lbs with all that water and the last ascent up to Rabbit was a bitch never mind the strong winds and cold air....working on a TR and will post soon!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436


2/19/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436
Nolan (anutami) wrote:

How was the road going into rockhouse? The ocotillo look like they are getting ready to "pop"
When I hiked out of RHC I saw at least 10 vehicles driving or parked and some motorcycles, it was a very busy weekend in RHC. I think the road is back in good shape but there is still a sandy section before the junction.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436


2/19/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436
hikerdmb wrote:
Bob, At what elevation did you turn around?
Bob turned around at the camp circle rock things...he did not get as far as the steep drop off photo, that was just after he turned around.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/19/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
I am already planning to do an overnight at that great camp site we found smile
Mary is in.

dsefcik wrote:
Thanks for heading out with me for a few hours Bob, I made it to Rabbit right at sunset the first day. I was able to locate a water cache someone allowed to me use and grabbed 10 liters right below Villager so my total pack weight was probably close to 65lbs with all that water and the last ascent up to Rabbit was a bitch never mind the strong winds and cold air....working on a TR and will post soon!


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 334


4/14/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 334
dsefcik wrote:
Thanks for heading out with me for a few hours Bob, I made it to Rabbit right at sunset the first day. I was able to locate a water cache someone allowed to me use and grabbed 10 liters right below Villager so my total pack weight was probably close to 65lbs with all that water and the last ascent up to Rabbit was a bitch never mind the strong winds and cold air....working on a TR and will post soon!



Sorry to drudge up an older post. I was wondering about water caching. Can you tell me what containers you use/recommend? I have heard of people having their bottles chewed threw by mice/critters. Is best to completely bury the bottles also?
Thanks.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436


4/14/2020
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2436
Rocko1 wrote:
Sorry to drudge up an older post. I was wondering about water caching. Can you tell me what containers you use/recommend? I have heard of people having their bottles chewed threw by mice/critters. Is best to completely bury the bottles also?
Thanks.
Best to bury them. I have seen some that they completely cover them with duct tape. Anything left thru a winter season is subject to freezing and exploding.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+1 link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software