HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Sunset Mountain Messages in this topic - RSS

tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90


5 days ago
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90
I drove up Pinyon Wash to get as close as I could to the west side of Sunset mountain. From my parking spot, I walked a half mile across the flat desert toward the western slopes. The thorny population consisted mostly of cholla, agave, ocotillo, and barrel cactus, in that order of frequency. After ascending the main wash a short distance, I started up a slope on the left. The angles were steep and the non-boulder sections were decomposed granite. The chossy crust on the dirt often gave way. Class 2 boulder sections came up now and then and were a welcome oasis of stability. Route finding was mentally taxing. In addition to avoiding the cactus and agave, almost every step required careful attention. It was slow, steady progress kept manageable by the short distance.








I hit the edge of the northwest ridge and was greeted with awesome views into Lower Borrego Valley. A short time later, I was on the summit. The benchmark and register were about 25' from the highest boulder. The benchmark was stamped "Yak". On top, wind blew steadily with gusts in the 25mph range. There were several books in the register cans and I signed the latest one before packing up and heading down out of the wind. When the wind was still, nothing moved and nothing made a sound. I'm used to being alone on remote desert peaks and the silence was notable, almost unnatural. I was glad to get down without a fall. 4 miles round trip, 2000' gain, 4 hours.





Lower Borrego Valley and the Borrego Mountains below





Looking south over the Vallecito Mountains


Descending back to Pinyon Wash
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 307


4 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 307
Nice, Been wanting to get that one. Thanks for the share.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
+1 link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 785


3 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 785
Great views from up there, Tekewin. Only made it up to the two nearby guzzlers before crapping out a while back. Thanks for posting. Tom
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 692


3 days ago
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 692
Nice trip report. Can confirm the footing is sketchy on that slope.
+1 link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2138


3 days ago
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2138
I'm with Tom, only been to the guzzlers....still on my list, looks like some great views up there....Thumbs Up

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90


2 days ago
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90
Views exceeded expectations, but so did difficulty of the west slope. Beautiful mountain, and thankfully the route was not any longer.
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 398


1 days ago
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 398
Nice day hike with fantastic views. Thanks for sharing. I hope you were using hiking poles going down!
link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90


1 days ago
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90
rockhopper wrote:
Nice day hike with fantastic views. Thanks for sharing. I hope you were using hiking poles going down!



Yes, I almost always use one pole. An exception would be a hike that's all trail, but that doesn't happen very often. Knees were still sore for a while after the descent.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 307


23 hours ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 307
tekewin wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
Nice day hike with fantastic views. Thanks for sharing. I hope you were using hiking poles going down!



Yes, I almost always use one pole. An exception would be a hike that's all trail, but that doesn't happen very often. Knees were still sore for a while after the descent.

When I was coming down from my failed attempt of Gasp, I was in a steep downward hill. I had a 2 foot drop so I dropped my pole down to steady myself so I could leap down. The hill under my pole gave way and I flipped over and skidded down on my pack for about 10 ft. Ended up in a comfortable position and did a prayer that it didn't break anything. Wonder if theres any other opps on trek poles out there.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90


13 hours ago
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 90
Britain wrote:

When I was coming down from my failed attempt of Gasp, I was in a steep downward hill. I had a 2 foot drop so I dropped my pole down to steady myself so I could leap down. The hill under my pole gave way and I flipped over and skidded down on my pack for about 10 ft. Ended up in a comfortable position and did a prayer that it didn't break anything. Wonder if theres any other opps on trek poles out there.


Ouch. Glad that ended OK.
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software