HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

The Potrero Three Day BP Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805


13 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805
Had a three day weekend recently and was able to head out to The Potrero with Daren. Was last out with him on a five day Grand Canyon South Rim trip the month before( https://www.flickr.com/photos/tommy750/albums/72157701387945651 ). Ended up being about 34 miles and 8K gain/loss, something strenuous office work does not adequately prepare one for smile This time we headed out from the equestrian parking lot off S-2 and hiked up canyon to the the circular trough about six miles in.

A little exploring via headlamp later that evening.

IMG_0337 by tomteske, on Flickr

IMG_0871 by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren getting his camping essentials organized.

Camo Camp by tomteske, on Flickr

The next day we headed further up canyon encountering an old mine with surrounding rock walls. It's in the far left of the photo where Daren is looking.

Toward The Mine by tomteske, on Flickr

Actually looked like an adit with the entrance partially occluded.

Adit by tomteske, on Flickr

Looking down canyon.

Upper Potrero by tomteske, on Flickr

Milling near an old spring.

Morteros by tomteske, on Flickr

Lots of the expected ranching artifacts.

IMG_0339 by tomteske, on Flickr

Feed Trough by tomteske, on Flickr

Tarantula.

Tarantula by tomteske, on Flickr

This guy was hopping all over camp and acting generally frenetic. You have a name for this guy, Ziphius?

Black Headed Bird by tomteske, on Flickr

The final day we headed by a site Daren found on a previous trip with four metates and two soda bottles, a Pepsi and Coke.

One of Four by tomteske, on Flickr

Another mine with rock walls.

Mine Wall by tomteske, on Flickr

Found this on GE a while back. We both had a hard time finding it on the ground. Looks like an old ranching house.

Structure by tomteske, on Flickr

Foundation by tomteske, on Flickr

Nice bug.

Black and Red by tomteske, on Flickr

Trying to enter a rock shelter with limited success.

IMG_0341 by tomteske, on Flickr

Worth the squeeze.

IMG_0933 by tomteske, on Flickr

IMG_0903 by tomteske, on Flickr

We found and/or relocated a number of points. Here's a few. Seeing how these were created and re touched is quite fascinating. Almost tempted to carry a real camera and macro lens with me next time smile

Broken obsidian Cottonwood point.

Potrero Point 1 by tomteske, on Flickr

Broken tip of a Paleo or Archaic point/dart.

Potrero Point 2 by tomteske, on Flickr

I'm thinking this point was a nice obsidian Cottonwood that broke and was attempted to be retouched into a Desert Side Notch but abandoned.

Potrero Point 3 by tomteske, on Flickr

About 21 miles, 2.7K gain/loss and another great time in the desert. Enjoy. Tom (All the pics with a white border are Daren's)
link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 110


12 days ago
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 110
Awesome!

I think your bug is a velvet ant, a sort of wingless wasp. Supposed to have one of the longest stingers of any insect. The Indian artifacts are sweet. +1 for Jim Beam as a camping essential. You guys have it all figured out.
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805


11 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805
tekewin wrote:
Awesome!

I think your bug is a velvet ant, a sort of wingless wasp. Supposed to have one of the longest stingers of any insect. The Indian artifacts are sweet. +1 for Jim Beam as a camping essential. You guys have it all figured out.



Think you're right Tekewin. And nothing better than a couple swigs after a long day of hiking smile
link
Buford
Buford
Posts: 120


10 days ago
Buford
Buford
Posts: 120
Cool trip. I like all the arrowheads. I have yet to find one mostly intact.
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805


10 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805
Buford wrote:
Cool trip. I like all the arrowheads. I have yet to find one mostly intact.



Yeah, I think we're about 50-100 years too late to see a lot of intact points out there. Most of the areas with old ranching have been picked pretty clean including Potrero. Even the broken ones are a nice find.
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 416


10 days ago
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 416
Neat trip tommy and Daren. Did you pack water and/or locate a source? Nice arrow point finds there. Palo point is very interesting. The cave paintings are very interesting also. I need to spend more time on researching the meanings. On broken points. Between the cattle stomping all over the area past 100+ years and the ritual of breaking the deceased persons possessions a full point is super find.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


9 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
Have that on my radar. They actually have parking now just south of the runway next to the Troutman Mountain. Looks like a nice pack.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805


8 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805
Britain wrote:
Have that on my radar. They actually have parking now just south of the runway next to the Troutman Mountain. Looks like a nice pack.



Not sure whether that lot allows more than day parking. Only time I was ever over there, the gate that led out to the lot was closed.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


8 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
tommy750 wrote:
Britain wrote:
Have that on my radar. They actually have parking now just south of the runway next to the Troutman Mountain. Looks like a nice pack.



Not sure whether that lot allows more than day parking. Only time I was ever over there, the gate that led out to the lot was closed.


Well, the equestrian parking would work. On another note, it's been reported that someone has been cutting off valve stems out there. A few reported being stranded.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


8 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
I may have given the wrong location for parking. This one.


--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 721


8 days ago
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 721
Nice trip Tommy / Daren. The bird is a Dark-eyed Junco and yes, the black-n-red insect is velvet ant. Very painful sting! I wandered over in that mine direction a couple of times. Lots of ranching artifacts for sure.
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805


8 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805
ziphius wrote:
Nice trip Tommy / Daren. The bird is a Dark-eyed Junco and yes, the black-n-red insect is velvet ant. Very painful sting! I wandered over in that mine direction a couple of times. Lots of ranching artifacts for sure.



Thanks, Ziphius! Tom
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805


8 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805
Britain wrote:
tommy750 wrote:
Britain wrote:
Have that on my radar. They actually have parking now just south of the runway next to the Troutman Mountain. Looks like a nice pack.



Not sure whether that lot allows more than day parking. Only time I was ever over there, the gate that led out to the lot was closed.


Well, the equestrian parking would work. On another note, it's been reported that someone has been cutting off valve stems out there. A few reported being stranded.


That's not very nice. That would definitely suck coming back to that.
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software