HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

PCT North of Scissors Crossing Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1

11 days ago
Rocko1
Rocko1
Decided to go burn off some of the holiday turkey on Saturday. I have never hiked this section of the PCT and thought it would be a good time to check it out. Parked at the Scissors Crossing Trailhead parking lot and headed north on the PCT-mile 77.5 or so. The trail is in good shape and lends itself to a quick pace if that is your thing. Was a chilly start, about 40F. Full moon as well.

From the trailhead.

Trail climbs quickly from the parking lot. Nice view of Granite.

The trail hugs the western side of mountain and crosses many drainages which would be fun to explore.

I love how quickly the landscape changes in AB. Round the corner into another drainage and it’s as if it gets 2 times the water-everything is much more green and vibrant. This section had a couple of pines I would love to scramble up and check out later.

After about 8 miles in I got a good view to the east. Sunset Mtn. in the top right.

Obligatory small cat print.

Been using my Garmin Instinct watch paired with a Polar chest strap heart monitor on hikes and it’s really a cool watch. Gives you about as many stats as you could want(can customize each activity to record what you like-temp, elevation, barometric pressure, etc.) as well as doing a great job with tracking the hike.
Stats from this hike.

Trash recovered-No mylar balloons just this inflatable pillow.

Started about 7 and got back to the car at 1:30. I really pushed it on this hike and did not feel great after. I am considering the holiday fuel storage depleted.

I suggest this hike in the early morning. The colors are much more pleasant and vibrant when not washed out by the overhead sun.

edited by Rocko1 on 1/14/2020
link
deborah
deborah

9 days ago
deborah
deborah
Nice photos and trip report! Love the sunrise picture. I bet the moon was beautiful too. Looks like a fun day out! What was it you wrote in an earlier post, 20 before 2?
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

8 days ago
Rocko1
Rocko1
deborah wrote:
Nice photos and trip report! Love the sunrise picture. I bet the moon was beautiful too. Looks like a fun day out! What was it you wrote in an earlier post, 20 before 2?

Thanks. smile Yes, 20 before 2. I don't know why I got that in my head. I think I prefer the south bound PCT from Scissors Crossing but just by a small margin. Both have great views and are well maintained. This section has less brush. Plenty of camp spots along the trail as well-every mile or so.

Grapevine Mtn looked a lot easier peak to grab on the maps as opposed to once your on the trail. I'd like to do that someday as well.
edited by Rocko1 on 1/16/2020
link