HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Is Fingertail Spring Dry? Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

8/6/2015
tommy750
tommy750
Of course, it's dry! The desert is hot and desiccated and it's summer and all the springs out there haven't flowed in decades. But hidden under a canopy of Washingtonias and catclaws could there still be a trickle of liquid life? I had to know, so I figured out a most indirect path to visit this verdant triangle wedged on the eastern slopes of the In-Ko-Pah Mountains, the peninsular range forming the floor of McCain Valley and the western flank of Carrizo Gorge. Daren agreed to accompany me having visited the area once before from the much easier and sane eastern approach. Starting off McCain Valley Rd, we dropped several hundred feet to the east and then headed north. Quickly stumbled onto rock art somewhat atypical for the local Kumeyaay smile

Bird Rock by tomteske, on Flickr

Picto Rock by tomteske, on Flickr

A couple miles further and we came upon a spring not listed on the topo map. Had nearby slicks and morteros and a scattering of pottery with more recent use from cattle with broken rock and still intact galvanized tanks.

Spring Pano by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren found a muddy spot but no pooling water. Nearby, a deer carcass.

Legs by tomteske, on Flickr

Spring Deer Carcass by tomteske, on Flickr

Above the spring looking toward The Coyotes.

Spring View by tomteske, on Flickr

A nearby sign warning hunters to stay away from the tank. Am figuring this means it might have still been functional after the cattle left, a wildlife guzzler perhaps.

Keep Away by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren checking out the Carrizo March

Daren and The Mushroom by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren Gaze by tomteske, on Flickr

The main reason for the hike was to wander around the northern In-Ko-Pahs and explore a bunch of flats visible on GE and eventually end up at Fingertail Spring, the spring that fed the Rockhouse Canyon cattlemen's shelter with its cistern and trough. After some annoying boulder scrambling in 95+ degree heat, the oasis was in sight. Lots of evidence of previous occupation nearby with slicks, morteros and pottery. I brought my trusty Fiskars to access the depths of the palm oasis if necessary. While Daren napped on a nearby boulder, I dove into the underbrush and found...nothing. Well, not really. The palms swaying in the late afternoon sun and the panoramic views from our perch was finding exactly what we came for.

Rockhouse Spring Pano by tomteske, on Flickr

Looking down into Rockhouse.

Rockhouse View by tomteske, on Flickr

Back at camp, the sun illuminating Carrizo Mt.

Carrizo View by tomteske, on Flickr

Later that night, someone celebrating the full moon and another desert backpack trip smile Enjoy. Tom

Invisible Man by tomteske, on Flickr
link