HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

The Potrero Day Hike Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

4/8/2018
tommy750
tommy750
Have done a few hike in the past couple years to the Sawtooth Mountains looking for a "lost" archeological site. No luck so far but always great hiking in the desert. Was planning an overnight out there with Daren et al but other plans/weather intervened and ended up on a day hike. Parked at the equestrian staging area by Vallecito and paid my $3 and headed toward Potrero. Lots of old ranching and farming stuff along the way.

Potrero by tomteske, on Flickr

About six miles in is a nice water source and still producing.

Full by tomteske, on Flickr

Hiked up to the saddle between Canebrake and Potrero. Was bushwhacking up to the saddle till I found an immigrant/game trail. Lots of old cans in a couple places.

Feliz by tomteske, on Flickr

Well Worn by tomteske, on Flickr

Nice views on top with a constant 25-30 mph breeze. This is toward Pepperwood Canyon on the far side of Canebrake.

Toward Pepperwood by tomteske, on Flickr

Toward the Lagunas.

South of Saddle by tomteske, on Flickr

Found a rock shelter on the very top of the saddle with a bunch of prayer sticks.

Prayer Sticks by tomteske, on Flickr

Almost stepped on this guy near the top. Didn't move at all.

Western Diamondback by tomteske, on Flickr

Nice views of Potrero/Vallecito on the way down.

Potrero Pano by tomteske, on Flickr

Have found a few moteros in the area interestingly ringed with cupules. Kinda hard to see in this pic.

Mortero with Cupules by tomteske, on Flickr

Another nearby one from a previous hike.

Cupule Rock by tomteske, on Flickr

Walked in the dark a couple miles on the way back till turning my headlamp on a few minutes before stumbling into this guy. This guy was also pretty lethargic. Both snakes look pretty well fed. Saw lots of kangaroo rats jumping around so they certainly have lots of food.

Sidewinder by tomteske, on Flickr

Couple more critters before I made it back. Brought 5L and used 4.5. 16.5 miles and 2800ft g/l and another great day in the desert. Enjoy. Tom

Scorpion by tomteske, on Flickr

Going Home by tomteske, on Flickr

Owl by tomteske, on Flickr
edited by tommy750 on 4/8/2018
link
tommy750
tommy750

4/18/2018
tommy750
tommy750
Unfortunately, "Plan E" was unsuccessful in finding the lost cave. The Sawtooth Mts are pretty spectacular IMHO though.

Was able to photograph a hiker who wished to remain anonymous shortly after discovering an extremely rare glass olla. An exciting moment for sure.

Glass Olla by tomteske, on Flickr

Overlooking Canebrake.

Daren on the Sawtooth Spine by tomteske, on Flickr

On the spine of the Sawtooth Mts.

Sawtooth Spine Slot by tomteske, on Flickr
+1 link