HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Cuyamaca Peak Via West Mesa Trail Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1

1/2/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Had a day off last Friday and decided to see if I could find any snow and a decent hike. I have hiked the peak countless times and wanted to try it from the south side. Parked at the Cold Stream trail head off the 79. Was about 22F when I started hiking. Took off up West Mesa Fire Rd and then onto Fern Flat Fire Rd. Ground was frozen. Connected with West Mesa Trail and started to see some snow on the sides of the trail. Just before Burnt Pine Fire Rd the snow was covering most of the trail and it only got thicker going upwards. Followed what looks like bobcat tracks almost the entire way up. You can see in another picture with by shoe print what looks like a much larger, non-descript track maybe from the day or two before-any ideas?

Stopped by Japacha Peak but stopped short 50ft of the summit as major bush whacking was needed from what I could see and I was too cold to deal with that. Burnt Pine then connects to the paved fire road leading to Cuyamaca Peak. Snow was thick all the way to the top. Forgot to keep my fuel in my jacket and boiling water took close to 20 minutes. Was a good hike and didn't see anyone else on the trail except a couple at the peak in full mountaineering get up.

Broke in my Altra Lone Peak 4 Mid shoes-paired with Darn Tough socks-no blisters at all. Very comfortable and had no issues with warmth.
Wore REI convertable pants, t-shirt, North Face TKA 100 fleece and Marmot Driclime windbreaker-this was more than enough for the temps. I ditched the windbreaker after 45 minutes in.

Here are the images https://imgur.com/a/572jg0x
edited by Rocko1 on 1/2/2019
+1 link
rockhopper
rockhopper

1/6/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
Good show man. Thanks for sharing. I really like the cup of Joe at the peak
+1 link
tekewin
tekewin

1/6/2019
tekewin
tekewin
Nice hike in rare SD snow. +1 for Darn Tough socks, it's all I wear any more.
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

1/8/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
tekewin wrote:
Nice hike in rare SD snow. +1 for Darn Tough socks, it's all I wear any more.

First time doing any real distance in some cold 'weather' in S.D. Yes, the socks are fantastic.
link
Rocko1
Rocko1

1/8/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
rockhopper wrote:
Good show man. Thanks for sharing. I really like the cup of Joe at the peak

Thanks. That is something I have made a habit of doing at the peak or halfway point. Worth the extra weight for me.
link