HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Pinto Canyon Messages in this topic - RSS

sddarkman619
sddarkman619

1/8/2019
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Pinto canyon has been on my list of hikes to do and see some neat things. I finally made it out there while doing some monitoring of sites. While the people I was working for said they couldn't have me go there, they also said they couldn't stop me from "recreating" in that area. So I did, they got the report, and I marked another off my list.
For those of you who know the old PCAS article write-up on this area, we found ALL of the petroglyphs with the exception of 1 small one in one of the groups. But do you know which one?

We also found some "new" ones(?). Maybe modern? Who knows. We also found several seem to have been tampered with and the addition of Erections.

Also found the blue(not so blue now) cross and had it translated.
Did the hike with 2 friends, one of which had been to a couple of the petroglyphs and then we completed the list of petroglyphs listed in the article, and then some. A few mortero rocks and some pottery. The usual stuff all over the desert.

Great day of hiking. Started at 6:30am and got back to the trucks at 4:30 PM. 10 Hours, 13 miles(exactly). Started when the sun was coming up and ended when the sun was going down. There are a few things I need to go back and look at. Looking forward to another adventure in that area soon.
Pictures are not necessarily in order.

6:30 am start

The blue cross

"In memory of Martin Zamudio Torres born 11/29/1969 and left us 07/20/2008
Don’t fill your hearts with pain or sadness, but remember me every morning.
Remember the joy and laughter.
I’ve only gone to rest a little bit.
Although my departure left sorrow and suffering,
for me it has reduced my pain and has given me relief."

Head waters of Pinto, a large dry waterfall we had to get around, the photos just don't do the size of it justice.

The bottom of the falls

We did run into a few Palm Oasis'.

male and female...authentic? Including erection.

This next petroglyph, was written off. We couldn't find it at first and decided to leave. As we walked up the wash to go back to the trucks I stopped to get a drink and glanced between these two large boulders. And there they were. Squeezed in between two large boulders where you would not normally look and very worn form the wind , water and sand.

I asked a few people who are familiar with the "ship of the Desert" stories and each said this symbol may have something to do with Spanish Treasure or a "Mission"(?). or Spanish mission?

This was almost written off as we didn't recognize it form the article at first. Several hours later when going back I looked at the article again and realized the drawing in the article was rotated 90° counter clockwise.

Lots of areas for grinding as well

+1 link
tekewin
tekewin

1/9/2019
tekewin
tekewin
Great finds. Are erecto-glyphs a thing? I am skeptical, but I don't know enough to have an opinion.
link
Rocko1
Rocko1

1/9/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Great report! I have always wanted to go out there but have been weary due to it being a route for immigrants and other stories of border patrol warning hikers it may be dangerous.
+1 link
sddarkman619
sddarkman619

1/9/2019
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Rocko1 wrote:
Great report! I have always wanted to go out there but have been weary due to it being a route for immigrants and other stories of border patrol warning hikers it may be dangerous.

That's why I was told I wasn't supposed to go for a stewardship monitoring thing. I would have to go out with Armed BP they said and That probably wasn't going to happen. Same thing the previous archaeologist told me when I was planning this a couple years ago. There was evident of Immigrant crossing but not a lot where we were.
link
sddarkman619
sddarkman619

1/9/2019
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
tekewin wrote:
Great finds. Are erecto-glyphs a thing? I am skeptical, but I don't know enough to have an opinion.

The erections were added to the Ship petroglyph at some point. The report I have is from 1973 and the drawing of the site did not have that in it.
link
tommy750
tommy750

1/9/2019
tommy750
tommy750
Nice trip report and pics. Glad you made it out. Looks like you found everything as well.
+1 link
sddarkman619
sddarkman619

1/10/2019
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
tommy750 wrote:
Nice trip report and pics. Glad you made it out. Looks like you found everything as well.

Pretty much everything, except 1.
link
Britain
Britain

1/10/2019
Britain
Britain
Nice write and great hike. Thanks for sharing!

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
+1 link
rockhopper
rockhopper

1/12/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
Neat expedition. It is ironic that this current south to north migrant corridor area, was used for thousands of years prior, as the route from the Colorado river to the coast. Some of these migrants have the DNA of the earlier native American tribes which crossed the same spot thousands of years apart. Great picto photos. Thanks for sharing.
+1 link