HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

East Carrizo Canyon and June Wash Messages in this topic - RSS

DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside

12/17/2012
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Stayed at Agua Caliente Friday and Saturday night. On Saturday we went out Carrizo Canyon and up the East Fork hoping to see the palms as explained in the Lindsay book "The Anza Borrego Desert Region". Did not make it all the way to the palms, but now that I check the maps/google earth, we were not far off. We were wondering if we took a wrong turn. Book says about 2 miles, and we hiked for 2 hours before we turned around and figured we should have seen them by now. Finally started a GPS track on my phone once we headed back and it indicated 2.2 miles. We were pretty close. bummer.

On Sunday we headed out June Wash and decided to hike up and get a look at Sandstone Canyon as indicated in the same book. I had hoped to stumble upon the Diablo BM, as the book referenced it, but it was not on the map I had. (Anza Borrego Desert Region-Recreation Map). Anyway, hiked up the ridges, faint trail with a few ducks made it easy, but I think I passed the Diablo BM, but had a great view of Sandstone Canyon and surrounding area. Using a GPS app on my phone I created a waypoint and then plotted it on Caltopo. (pic below-I'm the blue dot)

We had a great time, weather was awesome, I just need to work on my GPS skills before I head out. smile

Also checked out Bow Willow and a few other places we had driven by but never checked out.
Pics and captions are here. Roughly in sequence

https://plus.google.com/photos/111004590236580500907/albums/5822934782766175985?authkey=CMDNuYXUspuabw

Dave
link