HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Nolina to Palo Verde and Spots in between Messages in this topic - RSS

hikerdmb
hikerdmb

4/11/2013
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
I finally got back out to the local desert this past weekend. I am currently training for the John Muir Trail this summer and have not been out to the desert as much as usual. The weekend of April 6-7 though I made time for a quick road trip. We saw lots of cactus and Ocotillo blooms and a few shrubs blooming but not much in the areas we covered. We started our tour in Pinyon Wash and then headed up Nolina Wash.

From the lower part of Pinyon Wash, looking up toward Bighorn Canyon, there was a nice red line across the bajada made by all the blooming Ocotillo.

Went up to the end of the road in Nolina and then on the way back down stopped and explored a bit in a side canyon. Lots of Beavertail and Ocotillo blooming.

Saw a few of these pincushion type cactus blooming. These are very small. Not sure of the name.

After exploring a bit we headed back to the highway and then down to the bottom of the Texas Dip where we turned east in San Felipe Wash. Decided to head up into Hills of the "Moo" wash and check that out.

Found a little monument built up near the end of the road.

It is beautiful but stark up in those hills.

Took the Cut Across Trail over to Palo Verde Wash and headed up looking for a site to stay out of the wind. Found lots of blooming Palo Verde trees in the wash. Lots of bees around the flowers.

Found a protected site. It was suppose to be really windy Saturday night so we camped below a cliff that blocked the wind coming from the west. Our site was nice and calm but just out in the wash the wind howled for most of the night. We also had some nice shade which was good because it was quite warm on Saturday afternoon out there.

Up above our site there were a couple of Palo Verde Trees and some old tracks heading across the desert.

We went out for a little night hike and found this guy out in the wash. He had 8 legs and 2 giant feelers in front that just skimmed across the ground as he moved. Very cool looking creature. Anyone know what he could be? My friend was thinking it was something called a pseudoscorpion but not sure. He was about 2 inches long.

It was good to be back in ABDSP even for a short trip. Hopefully I will get back out again before it gets too hot.
link