HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Flash Flood Chasing Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

8/25/2013
tommy750
tommy750
Now might be an excellent time to downgrade your expectations about this trip report! I'm just going to say it was a successful proof of concept. After seeing Daren's post about the flash flood chaser in Utah, thought this weekend might be an opportunity to give it a shot. The weather reports seemed to indicate Tropical Storm Ivo would dump 2-3" in the Colorado Desert area starting in earnest this afternoon. In comparison, Kathleen was 8-10" and completely devastating.

Ivo by tomteske, on Flickr

My friend Amy agreed to join me and we agreed on a very conservative plan with lots of contingencies. The first rule was no Fish Creek! Got out on S2 with no rain threatening so decided to swing down Canyon Sin Nombre and drive up Carrizo Creek into the canyon if conditions allowed. Saw lots of trash and broken bottles at campsites in Sin Nombre which I don't recall the last time out. Also this panel with some weird erosion and unfortunately, lots of graffiti.

Historical Graffiti by tomteske, on Flickr

Drips by tomteske, on Flickr

Walked a few hundred feet up the main Sin Nombre slot canyon and on the way out was consternated to realize we'd both walked by this guy on the way in passing a couple of feet away. Not sure how healthy he was since I noticed zero movement after we stopped to gawk and after returning with my camera. Appears to be a Colorado Desert Sidewinder.

sidewinder2 by tomteske, on Flickr

Colorado Desert Sidewinder by tomteske, on Flickr

Made it into Carrizo Creek and only saw a couple sets of (ATV) tracks in the entire wash which as you know is rare. Actually, there were lots of tracks but they were animal. Looked like 1-2' of water had passed through in the recent past probably with Friday's storms.

Single Track by tomteske, on Flickr

Tracks by tomteske, on Flickr

Two guys on ATVs. They had been down to the marsh and said the water was about three feet deep.

ATVs in Vallecitos by tomteske, on Flickr

Turned up Seco del Diablo and saw no vehicle tracks. Drove as far as the seep and decided to turn around.

The Seep at Seco del Diablo by tomteske, on Flickr

Up Seco del Diablo by tomteske, on Flickr

Seco del Diablo by tomteske, on Flickr

Ended up driving in Bow Willow Creek which wasn't exactly the best way towards S2 since there's usually lots of silt now interspersed with mud. Had a few dicey moments but no real problems. Took a brief drive down S2 and then into Carrizo Canyon. The sky was really starting to darken and rain was falling up canyon. Figured we'd drive up till it got rocky and wait to see if anything materialized.

Carrizo Wash by tomteske, on Flickr

We made it to the east fork and then it started to pour. Only lasted about fifteen minutes and pretty much stopped.

East Fork Downpour by tomteske, on Flickr

Chair Puddle by tomteske, on Flickr

Blossum by tomteske, on Flickr

We decided to walk over to the deepest channel to see what if anything was happening and heard a familiar sound. Click the link to see the Carrizo Canyon Flood, er, some water smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommy750/9594588723/

Lake forming behind tamarisk branches smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommy750/9594596385/

With the sky clearing and the sun peaking through, we knew the Great Carrizo Flood of 8-25-13 was not to be. But as always, was good being out in the desert again. Enjoy. Tom

Carrizo Sun by tomteske, on Flickr
link