HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Blair Valley & Cool Canyon Messages in this topic - RSS

abschmitt
abschmitt

10/9/2013
abschmitt
abschmitt
Got away last weekend for a solo camp/hiking trip to Blair Valley.
"
DSC01063 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

I immediately headed to Blair Valley to grab a good camp spot before I headed out on my first hike of the season....Cool Canyon

This is looking back across S2 towards the Pinyon Mountain area after hiking a ways up cool canyon.

"
DSC01142 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

Butterflies everywhere! I was surrounded by butterflies the entire hike...very cool

"
DSC01145 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

"
DSC01093 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

Finally got to try my new macro lens filter on my NEX-6
"
DSC01110 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

"
DSC01104 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

Saw some tracks here not sure what they are...anyone?
"
DSC01097 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

Also saw this when I stopped for lunch at the large dry waterfall
"
DSC01099 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

After my short hike in cool canyon I headed back to blair valley and set up all my camp gear. Should have took a pic of this because I car camp like a pro....next time I guess. After I set up camp I threw some tri-tip on the grill, cracked open a beer and enjoyed the view.

"[img
DSC01154 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

The next day I contemplated several hikes in the area...but I eventually decided to make my way up pinyon mountain rd for a look at that great pain in the rear boulder that has blocked my way to the trail head previously. The first time I went to investigate this trail I had 2 wheel drive and there was no way I was making it. This time I was equipped with my new to me F150 4X4 and good thing too because the road was much softer than it was last year. I was very tempted to try my luck going over this bad boy but I chose to play it safe especially since I was alone.
"
DSC01173 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

Guess I'll have to wait to conquer Whale Peak until I get that jeep.
I decided to park close by and improvise a hike up some of the lower mountains. On a positive note I got to exercise my back country navigation skills using topo map & compass. Until now I have been using mainly my hand held GPS unit, but I really want to learn how to navigate with only a map & compass.
"
DSC01170 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

Well it wasn't too bad for a first trip of the season, weather was perfect and I needed a weekend to relax. I'll be out there again soon!
"
DSC01062 by schmitthappenz, on Flickr" border="0">"

edited by abschmitt on 12/9/2013
edited by abschmitt on 12/10/2013
link