HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Indian Hill Trip 10/5/2013 Messages in this topic - RSS

X EAGLE 23 X
X EAGLE 23 X

10/14/2013
X EAGLE 23 X
X EAGLE 23 X
Well it must be that time of year again; weather is finally cooling down and it's bearable (dare I say nice) to be outside and out wandering in the desert again. This past summer I came across a program which "stitches" photographs together and I was eager to take some photos and test the program out. So last week I decided to hike out to Indian Hill to take some new pictures specifically to run through the program and see how well it works and I'm quite pleased with it. The program is called "Hugin Panorama Stitcher" and can be downloaded from the internet for free.

As some of you may be beginning to think, Indian is one of my favorite spots due to it's easy access (except for that one part just past Dos Cabeza's), quick hike, and tons of stuff to explore.

Here's a stitched photo:

While the image doesn't appear to be anything special at first look, but it allows a person to take multiple detailed photo's ( the above is actually 11 photos) of an object and then put them all together and view the entire object, while being able to zoom in and see details which you normally wouldn't be able to see if you just took one photo of it. The most photo's I've stitched so far is 38, but couldn't get it to upload to photobucket (maybe too big?) to post here.

While out there I swung by the "water tank" and was surprised to see it bone dry. Figured with all the rain we had gotten last month there would be at least a little water left in it, but there was nothing. I hiked a little further up and couldn't find any traces of recent water.

While hiking around the area, lots of jack rabbits and little zebra tailed lizards running all over the place. Couldn't get a good shot of a jack rabbit, but finally got in close enough for a few decent photo's of a lizard.

All-in-all it was a great trip, weather was pretty nice for the most part except for a few times when the slight breeze stopped blowing. Only spent around 3 hours out there and the only people I saw were a group of bikers who must have followed the train tracks down through the mountains.
link