HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Harper Flat via Pinyon Wash Messages in this topic - RSS

anutami
anutami
Posts: 491


11/4/2013
anutami
anutami
Posts: 491
Headed out for another amazing ABDSP trip up Pinyon Wash and Harper Flat. Harper flat offers so much and it would be a great trip to hike all around the rim of the edge of the Flat checking out all the Indian sites. We planned on doing a backpack trip, but I think we are becomming spoiled with the camper. Also, had the great pleasure of meeting Bob. Bob, you must have been bummed to drive all the way up Pinyon wash to see the best campsite taken...Sorry smile First time I had to put the rig in 4wd before even entering the wash! while driving up the wash/maze The kids asked me where is the road and I replied "That is what I am trying to tell you It has been totally blown away kids."



this guy greeted us on our way in






we ended up coming across 6 Tarantulas


campsite at the end of the road


One of the main reasons I upgraded to a new camper is the above storage by day....


and bunk by night smile


I even customed a rope ladder so Brett can climb up


Hiked up to Harper flat, and tarantulas were everywhere!


Is it spring out there?




Old school pepsi can



Nice view from the southwest corner of harper flat looking Northeast





Harper Flat Morteros


Toro Peak and borrego valley...I had full cell service here

Not sure what this is


nice weekend out with the kids
link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Posts: 423


11/5/2013
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Posts: 423
Another nice trip for you and your family. Congrats on getting your photo in the 2014 Truck Camper calendar.
David
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518


11/5/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518
Yeah, it was a great weekend out there...we also saw a tarantula in Harper Flat where we camped. There were so many blooming Desert Apricots up on Whale Peak it felt like spring. Love the shots with the kids.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275


11/5/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275
No worries. The spot just down the way was nice also wink
I agree it was a bit of a challenge getting out there. I seem to recall a sign that used to mark the split off with Nolina Wash. Pretty sure that was washed away.

Cool on spotting the tarantulas. They are actually quite friendly and like you to pick them up.wink




Nolan (anutami) wrote:
Headed out for another amazing ABDSP trip up Pinyon Wash and Harper Flat. Harper flat offers so much and it would be a great trip to hike all around the rim of the edge of the Flat checking out all the Indian sites. We planned on doing a backpack trip, but I think we are becomming spoiled with the camper. Also, had the great pleasure of meeting Bob. Bob, you must have been bummed to drive all the way up Pinyon wash to see the best campsite taken...Sorry smile First time I had to put the rig in 4wd before even entering the wash! while driving up the wash/maze The kids asked me where is the road and I replied "That is what I am trying to tell you It has been totally blown away kids."


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518


11/5/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518
surfponto wrote:
I seem to recall a sign that used to mark the split off with Nolina Wash. Pretty sure that was washed away.
It was there two weeks ago, just hidden by a smoke tree and was bent over about half way.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
anutami
anutami
Posts: 491


11/5/2013
anutami
anutami
Posts: 491
dsefcik wrote:
surfponto wrote:
I seem to recall a sign that used to mark the split off with Nolina Wash. Pretty sure that was washed away.
It was there two weeks ago, just hidden by a smoke tree and was bent over about half way.


Our original plan was to head up Nolina Wash but couldn't find it :0
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 890


11/5/2013
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 890
Great photos and trip Nolan, looks so wide open out there! That butterfly (which I just learned a couple of weeks ago) is a Queen milkweed butterfly (Danaus gilippus), related to the Monarch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_(butterfly)
Bob, I haven't worked up the courage to pick up a tarantula yet. smile

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275


11/5/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275
It is actually kind of cool.
They are pretty docile when the temps are cool. That being said maybe I should put a disclaimer somewhere like "Don't try this at home" smile
Jim (ziphius) wrote:
......
Bob, I haven't worked up the courage to pick up a tarantula yet. smile


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 984


11/10/2013
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 984
Nice trip and pics, Nolan. Looks like the Tarantula Hawks will have lots of places to lay their eggs this year!
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software