HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Yuha and Mt Springs Exit Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

10/22/2014
tommy750
tommy750
A couple weekends back, needed to head into San Diego so decided to take the "long way." Pulled off I-8 at Dunaway Rd and headed into Yuha. Was trying to find a geoglyph I'd never seen. On the way, this fenced area caught my eye:
Labios Geoglyph by tomteske, on Flickr

There were 5-6 cairns arranged around it but wasn't sure if it was a geoglyph or something historical. Spoke with Harry Casey, the pilot who photographed most of the geoglyphs in the Southwest with Jay von Werlhof, but he wasn't familiar with it.
Finally found the Power Geoglyph, miles to the Southwest:

Power Geoglyph by tomteske, on Flickr

Similar sites are present to the Northeast and reportedly ( von Werlhof) are communication sites to contact the Creator for healing, knowledge or advice. A road and streambed have divided this site into three. Supposedly, there is yet another one somewhere in the Yuha.

Power Geoglyph2 by tomteske, on Flickr

Power Geoglyph3 by tomteske, on Flickr

Finally got back on I-8 and took the Mt Springs exit. Parked under the overpass, grabbed my pack and headed north. Over a draw, I entered Devil's Canyon in the Southern part of ABDSP.

Devils Canyon by tomteske, on Flickr

Heard a noise on the ridge to the West and saw these guys. Ended up being 14 sheep including three collared ewes. This was the first group of six.

Group of Six by tomteske, on Flickr

Here's the second group of eight.

Group of Eight by tomteske, on Flickr

Some of the tagged ewes. Daren says the CDFW runs the program but nothing has happened in the past five years secondary to funding issues.

Red Collar Red Tags by tomteske, on Flickr

Green Collar Green Tags by tomteske, on Flickr

Here's a couple rams because it's rutting season. The pics are heavily cropped because I didn't have a big lens with me.

Two Rams by tomteske, on Flickr

Ended up climbing out of Devil's Canyon onto one of the two roads descending from Table Mt to Mt. Springs. The road was covered with fresh tracks and sheep scat. Nice view toward the Dos Cabeza area.

Above Mt Springs by tomteske, on Flickr

The road leads to Mt Springs and what remains of the 1860's stage coach stop. Low stone walls remain from buildings and corrals with the trough a much later addition. The "Mt Springs" across I-8 to the East was developed later for the Hwy 80 gas station.

Mt Springs Corrals by tomteske, on Flickr

Mt Springs Trough by tomteske, on Flickr

There is no access to the site from I-8 but it's an easy .8 miles from Mt. Springs exit if you walk outside the freeway fence. Saw a CHP looking through some guy's camera who was stopped here a few weeks back. Was thinking he might be getting cited but who knows.

Dusk at Mt Springs by tomteske, on Flickr

Was getting dark, so hiked back to the truck and headed on to SD. Enjoy. Tom
link