HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Between the coast and ABDSP Messages in this topic - RSS

rockhopper
rockhopper

1/30/2015
rockhopper
rockhopper
Hello all. While waiting for longer daylight to head out for my Feb-May ABDSP expeditions this year I am forced to do a lot of open space mini local hikes closer to the coast mainly due to my family commitments on both sides of the family. Well, these hikes are at least at the same latitude as ABDSP.
Did a lot of "You can't get there from here" hiking through dense brush. This is a self overhead shot. I am looking head on into head high brush as I bust my way through to the clearing beyond.

Finally made it to a clearing where there was a shell midden dump site. I noticed the arrow head looking thing in the photo when I got home. It's still there :-D

Some sort of Marine fossil? This is about 2 feet across and heavy. Dusted off to photo and left as is.

Hiking near a hill crest I saw some Quartz sticking out of the ground. I always pick up white Quartz for a look see. Man made? Found 2 like this in the same area. Same size, same shape. About size of a womans fist. Hid it in a bush.

Hiking further though some brush to a clearing found this on the ground surrounded by lots of stone chippings. I cleaned the mud off it with my precious water to photo. It looks like a broken spear tip. It is about 2 inches long.

Took a turn hiking down in some gullies. Getting down was easy part. getting back up, well not so much! :-o

Some ones scallop dinner from along time ago buried about 15 feet below the surrounding surface.

Some big concretions in the area were a surprise.

Now this was interesting. On the side of another gully there was a exposed shell midden about 12 feet below the surface. Probably hundreds or thousands of shells. The shells were falling off the side to the creek bed below. After who ever ate the scallops for dinner a long time ago neatly stacked the shells! Posed a few to photo.

Finally, while climbing on a rock to get out of about 15 foot gulley I stepped on this and it flipped out. It was buried about 12 feet below the surface. Closer look it appears to be a large mill stone about 2 ft across surrounded by dissolved charcoal. I came back a few weeks later and it was gone. Probably washed down a buried again for someone else to find.

edited by rockhopper on 1/30/2015
link