HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Picto Hunting and Pepperwood Trail Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

3/17/2015
tommy750
tommy750
Did a couple short trips the last couple weekends. Met up with Daren for the first one and camped in Lycium Wash off the beginning of Fish Creek. Was a nice day to be out but wasn't expecting a literal traffic jam heading in. Have never seen so may vehicles and tents out there. We were going to look for fossil footprints near Sandstone but moved on when a large group showed up in the same area. We decided to try and locate some rock art sites and came across this nice panel.

Woven_lwe by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren says this guy is called the Paper Sack Man but I have no idea why smile

Paper Bag Man by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren had to leave so I did a little more exploring before the sun went down. Found an area densely covered in flakes from various colored stones.

flakes by tomteske, on Flickr

Bunch of obsidian flakes.

Lithic Reduction Station by tomteske, on Flickr

This past Friday decided to head out to Pepperwood Trail for a overnight trip out to Canebrake (BorregoWrangler did a through hike down Pepperwood last December: http://johnandautumnsadventures.blogspot.com/2014/12/pepperwood-canyon-to-canebrake-valley.html ). Got to the end of McCain Valley Rd at 4pm and headed out. Was the perfect temp that night in Canebrake with clear skies and no bugs.

Saw ML tracks heading down the trail for a number of yards. Those are bigger than my fist.

ML tracks by tomteske, on Flick

Much greener than the last time I was out there.

Canebrake Spot by tomteske, on Flickr

Old relic from the rancher days.

Bent Shoe by tomteske, on Flickr

Looking down Canebrake before the long slog back up Pepperwood.

Down Canebrake by tomteske, on Flickr

Looking toward the Sawtooths from below the spring.

Toward Canebrake by tomteske, on Flickr

The spring had a fair amount of water. Reading Shads' description sound like there was a pretty good flow in the past.

Pepperwood Spring by tomteske, on Flickr

Didn't really explore around the spring since there were several tents right next to it and the trail. Not sure if I would have stayed there because of the nocturnal traffic. The backpacks, clothing, etc that I noticed looked kind of old, till I found this.

Pase de Abordar Edited by tomteske, on Flickr

Did a little searching online and Volaris is a budget airline with flights from Queretaro (north of Mexico City) to TJ for about $135. Searched the INS detention website that lists all detainees currently in custody and those who were in custody for the past 60 days which would have covered the time since he arrived in TJ on January 15 and this individual had no hits. So, maybe he made it.

Another couple of nice trips out. Enjoy. Tom
link