Britain
Britain
Had to get on GE to see the miner trail. Pretty cool down
1/5/2021
Topic:
Fish Benchmark and Eagle Benchmark

Britain
Britain
If I can get my hill climbing legs going I'm going to hit that ole miner trail. Tore out my bottom of my pants from some butt scooting last spring.
1/24/2021
Topic:
Villager Peak

Britain
Britain
Well done John!
2/8/2021
Topic:
Summit Registers

Britain
Britain
Interesting. Should have taken more pictures of the ones I found. The wife likes to sign them. Not as interesting as yours though.
2/9/2021
Topic:
Summit Registers

Britain
Britain
2/9/2021
Topic:
Summit Registers

Britain
Britain
@ Buford Ha Ha I didnt sign that register I was on a mission to go down to the service road and out to the trestle.
2/18/2021
Topic:
My Buck Knife

Britain
Britain
Just seen this thread. Been carrying my dads Navy survival knife. Wasn't sure where to put it. Been in one of the pockets of the pack. Like the shoulder strap area. Like your sheath also. What was the material? Wow out of control picture....sorry

edited by Britain on 2/18/2021
3/7/2021
Topic:
My Buck Knife

Britain
Britain
Cool 3d printed sheath. Still have the original leather but its in 2 pieces now. Also has a small pocket for a sharpening stone.
3/7/2021
Topic:
Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease

Britain
Britain
Saw a bunch of them also in the same area about a month ago. One l looked at looked like it had a bullet hole in the side lots of blood and was pretty fresh .We seen about 10 dead rabbits scattered about. Didnt see any coyotes either. Seems like they would have got the rabbit remains.
edited by Britain on 3/7/2021
3/20/2021
Topic:
Helicopter on Jacumba Gas Station?

Britain
Britain
Havent seen the military copter lately but there's been the black copter on the roof. Seen it also at the gas station on the east side of 8 in Ocotillo. Thanks for the the story share!
3/22/2021
Topic:
Helicopter on Jacumba Gas Station?

Britain
Britain
3 weeks ago didnt see the military copter only the Black smaller one. Perhaps the smaller one was in front of the military copter. For sure it was there today.
4/13/2021
Topic:
Rabbit Peak Overnight

Britain
Britain
Pretty awesome! Thanks for the share!
4/13/2021
Topic:
Martinez Mountain and Sheep Mountain

Britain
Britain
Nice report. Ran into a cougar a while back but at a larger distance. Unsettling to say the least.
5/3/2021
Topic:
Rattler

Britain
Britain
I dont use any listening devices while hiking the desert. I do see a lot of hikers that I cross do especially the younger generation. Last Friday while finishing an early morning hike I heard this one and took a bit to find out where it was.
5/8/2021
Topic:
Rattler

Britain
Britain
ziphius wrote:
Beautiful speckled rattlesnake. Was climbing a boulder near Otay Mtn. once and came face to face with one on a ledge, 2.5 feet away. Quickly downclimbed.

Thanks for the verification. Thought it was a western but another person on FB said it was a speckled also.
6/5/2021
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge 3 Day Backpack

Britain
Britain
Was up on the upper service road this year. Pretty clogged with cactus especially when you get on it after the tunnel by the trestle.. Looks like fun.
7/10/2021
Topic:
Solar Project in Jacumba

Britain
Britain
Protested the Ocotillo wind farm and McCain so did a lot of others. Yet there they are. This will go through. It was planned long ago when the second power line went through.
edited by Britain on 7/10/2021
7/23/2021
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Amazing Captures!
9/17/2021
Topic:
Chubascos, Bees and Coyotes

Britain
Britain
Thanks for sharing. Love the Baja. I like taking the dirt roads south at the Rumerosa. Lots of good camping hiking areas. Head on down to Mikes Sky ranch and then either go down the pacific side or the gulf side. Travel Baja use to sell gps maps. I have an older version but at that time it did a good job showing dirt roads and places to get gas.
12/28/2021
Topic:
Old Trails

Britain
Britain
Been following a trail from Indian Hill in the direction of North-East. Its hit or miss where off-roaders mangled it up. But you can still follow by the way the rocks are pushed aside. The area pf the Piepkorn slot area is its just disappears. I thought perhaps it dropped into the wash north of Red Hill. Nope. This weekend I found more. Trail tags the bluff north of the wash. There's 2 miles of it. Drops down where the Jojoba wash crosses S2. Wonder why these trails are usually always on hill sides or on the crest of the hill and not in the washes? Wheres is the final destination ?

Its a well defined trail disappears in lava rocks but it can be picked up afterwards.
12/28/2021
Topic:
Old Trails

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
I just read about this in Schads book-natives chose ridges over washes because ridges rarely change-washes are constantly changing from flash floods, debris, and erosion-since efficiency is the key it makes sense to be up high and avoid the ever changing/challenging washes and have a clearer line of site.
edited by Rocko1 on 12/28/2021

Thanks good to know.
12/29/2021
Topic:
Old Trails

Britain
Britain
Been interested in the trails to and from the Indian hill area. Some I figure were the super highways. Some just to and from food gathering areas. This one I think goes over or around the Coyotes. Havent seen any track on the backside of the mountain yet. But for sure above the northside badlands of the Carrizo creek . South Mesa area there's another long one I found. Perhaps part of this highway. West of the Indian hill, on the west side of Moan, theres a trail cutting across the hill side and going up. Lost it at the top but on the way down it passes a few well defined roasting pits.Perhaps part of one of the highways.
12/29/2021
Topic:
Old Trails

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
This is one of my favorites. The crossing. The trails are washed away in deep and wide arroyos in the distance and then continue on beyond.

Needs a yield sign.....cool shot
12/30/2021
Topic:
Old Trails

Britain
Britain
Interesting on the Caltopo. To bad theres not enough maps listed. I sometimes dont like running across the trails. They always disrupt what I was out hiking for in the first place. End up chasing them down. Did a hike that Tom did a few years back NE of the stage station.Theres a sq rock formation above the bad lands. Stumbled on a trail missed the sq formation had to doubleback and find it. Simple hike ended up a 15 miler.
1/21/2022
Topic:
The Killing of Frank Fox

Britain
Britain
For whats its worth. We dug up some information On the Foxes. Speculation perhaps but a good match.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Fox-17780?fbclid=IwAR0p2zzQNatJd-wEp733EEDD6xjsRFhnM6B2dvjFI3Ha7TfT5xIEAiNNpEQ
2/1/2022
Topic:
Wind tower collapses in Ocotillo

Britain
Britain
Report appears that the blades broke off and hit the stand.
2/1/2022
Topic:
Upcoming Pinto Canyon Hike

Britain
Britain
Ive gotten to Pinto 3 different ways. Through Davis, Off of 8 where the BP enters Myers. The long trug is from Mountain Springs. From there some go up and over from lowers Happies cabin or around and across by the upper cabin. One person I know went over from VOM and out Davis. Id like to do that one if I was younger. Fun hike anyway you go
2/1/2022
Topic:
Is it just me or is there something not right?

Britain
Britain
Something to tell his kids about.
2/3/2022
Topic:
Spirit Jar Found

Britain
Britain
Wife and I finished up an old Indian trail running from Indian Hill to S2. This section ran on a ridge line. At one point somewhere in time it got washed out at one section. So we climbed around the wash out and up to a small rise. Wife started jumping up and down and said she found some pottery. It was in fact complete and not broken. But...... It was glazed. She found a spirit jar from a well known ceramic artist. Haha I was hoping for something more original. Really off the beaten path. Better luck next time.

2/4/2022
Topic:
Spirit Jar Found

Britain
Britain
About 4 years ago I was on the R&R service trail north of the trestle. On one part of the trail theres a hill that separates the gorge. I climbed up to see if I can get a good photo of the trestle. Looking about I found this little nook in the rocks and found this old cookie can. There was something in it. And some weight to it. So perhaps some R&R worker stored his valuables? The top was pretty much rusted on but after some careful prying the top came off. And... Someones damn GEO cache. Wasnt used for a decade or more. Guess when the park made it illegal to place those they stop advertising it. Close call but no cigar.

2/5/2022
Topic:
Spirit Jar Found

Britain
Britain
The R&R have some right away near the tracks. This was about an 1/8 mile away. It had a tag from the group. I looked it up on the web site and it wasnt listed. About 6 years ago coming down from Granite on the Rodiguez side I found an Ammo can also. It was also not listed on the site that was on the ledger. The ledger though was tagged from about a year earlier. Guess they are going under ground. My guess is the park at one time contacted the known cache groups and let them know that it is not allowed.
2/5/2022
Topic:
Spirit Jar Found

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
There was an ammo can in tunnel 15 awhile back that I found, technically it was legal since the tracks belong the to RR (unless the RR prohiitis them?) Not sure of your can was on RR property.

Britain wrote:
About 4 years ago I was on the R&R service trail north of the trestle. On one part of the trail theres a hill that separates the gorge. I climbed up to see if I can get a good photo of the trestle. Looking about I found this little nook in the rocks and found this old cookie can. There was something in it. And some weight to it. So perhaps some R&R worker stored his valuables? The top was pretty much rusted on but after some careful prying the top came off. And... Someones damn GEO cache. Wasnt used for a decade or more. Guess when the park made it illegal to place those they stop advertising it. Close call but no cigar.

On another note. The time you went out to Fox burial then went up and over the lower part of the Coyote , couple weeks later I went a bit west of where you went. Up near the base I found this pole on a ridge. The gully I was in I couldnt get up to it. Its been eating me why its there. Survey marker? Rigs been down but hopefully I be back to see what it is marking out there.

2/5/2022
Topic:
Oasis Peak

Britain
Britain
Out of the way! Nice chug. Been to the museum a few years back.
2/18/2022
Topic:
John Grasson

Britain
Britain
Good friend of mine was killed in a car accident a couple days before Christmas. John gave me the diary information on Frank Foxes burial site. John also was on TV America Unearthed. Chasing the lost viking ship. He also restarted the Desert Magazine. https://thedesertmag.com/e-editions

Good guy with a lot of history.
2/18/2022
Topic:
Park survey markers

Britain
Britain
Did an 8 miler out on the south side of Carrizo creek into the bad lands. About a 1/4 mile from the base of Coyote I see a line pole sticking out the top of a ridge. Took a bit to find a way up.

Closer to the base of Coyote I see another marker, this one stone on another ridge. Had to go up and take a look.

Took a while to find a way up. Dont know what it was for.

Finally at the base. I believe this is the ridge line Daren S went up on a loop he did last year or the year before. Im on the west side of it. I spent an hr or 2 hrs wigwagging to get to it. Lots of dead end washes. Fun day never-less.

2/19/2022
Topic:
Park survey markers

Britain
Britain
Interesting that this side of Carrizo creek,, at least the washes I was exploring were void of sand. Really hard pack stuff. I did find some animal tracks in one section. Looked like oversized racoon. Pored some water on to see if the hard pack would de solve nope stayed hard. Didnt get any pictures for some reason. There was also some smaller tracks next to it. Looked the same. The other side badlands of Carrizo creek are full of sand.
3/3/2022
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Well done!
3/29/2022
Topic:
Impossible railroad trip

Britain
Britain
Thats kind of cool. Wonder how much of the terrain mimics the actual?
4/20/2022
Topic:
Piepkorn slot

Britain
Britain
JBHogan wrote:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought I'd give an update on the current condition of the slot, as of April '22, so anyone searching on the area will have more info.

Last week we traveled northbound from the Dos Cabezas area along the road ending at Jojoba Wash. The damaged memorial is still there, with only a few tokens and coins left.

In our short wheelbase 4x4 Tacoma were able to navigate the slot (which had only one set of faint tire tracks), and thought we were home free, right until the end of the road...

From the plateau above the wash there are three routes down, all sandy descents similar to the one in Canyon Sin Nombre. Unfortunately, the wheelers have destroyed two of the three completely. I'm assuming they head southbound up the slopes with rock-crawler-type jeeps; there are 3 foot vertical drops in several places, some of which have been augmented with large rocks in an attempt to fill the holes. Total suicide.

The third way down is a steep, sandy slope featuring a 90-degree turn halfway down with some large ruts. If one were equipped with lots of technical 4x4 experience and a high clearance, wide-tired Jeep they could probably make it, but we were a little leery of taking the chance, since it was mid-week with no one around to help us right the truck if we rolled it during the turn. After some cussing, we reversed our course and went back the way we came. We made it through the slot "uphill" and continued south.

When we got home, I looked at Google Earth and found there was a "pin" on the slot, listing it as closed...

In a way, turning around was a good thing: we spent the night at Hayden Spring, and in the morning had the good fortune to witness a group of four Bighorn rams grazing in the wash, about 50 meters away. They didn't seem bothered by us and stuck around for about 30 minutes, before casually heading up the rocks and out of sight.

Yeah, those routes up to the top from the wash are a mess.
6/5/2022
Topic:
Animal Print

Britain
Britain
Ive been hiking the Carrizo Creek badlands since about 2000. This print was been in this was south side of Carrizo creek for at least 20 years. Its close to the Coyote Mountain. Some times its covered with sand. Located up off a wash but could get hit by floods.This year I took a picture. Its about 4 inches in length. Theres some like smaller prints but not in good condition. What is it?
6/6/2022
Topic:
Animal Print

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Old dinosaur tracks

LOL
9/13/2022
Topic:
Upcoming Pinto Canyon Hike

Britain
Britain
davidwyby wrote:
I think I am the "one person" Britain referred to. Pretty epic one day hike. I'd like to go back and explore Pinto more. Once side canyon had water running out of it...

Yes indeed you are.
11/4/2022
Topic:
Tropical Storm Kay aftermath

Britain
Britain
I live on the south side of 8. The houses are built these 5 ft high berms. The street had 3 ft of water . All the storm drains were plugged with dirt from previous storms. Most of El Centro was flooded.

I want to check out the carrizo creek area where the water runs through prob ht the gorge area also later this month.
11/20/2022
Topic:
Happy cabins and Myer Valley

Britain
Britain
Nice, been to the lower Happys. Didnt know about the upper above the palm grove until a few years back. Need to go back into that area.
11/23/2022
Topic:
Bighorn Canyon, 3,567 Peak and Guzzlers

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
pre pandemic gary and i were the monitors for the sunset mtn guzzler but always checked in on the blue spring, nolina, pinyon and harper guzzlers. ditto what buford said, floats go bad, pin holes develop, wind pulls apart plumbing, etc. harper was the only non functioning guzzler i was aware of as of 2021. park officials started requiring covid vaccines, finger printing, background checks, etc for volunteers so gary and i resigned as volunteers.

What a shame that the Park ( State of Ca) to impose that on volunteers. But ot does seem to be a standard now days.
12/14/2022
Topic:
Hapaha Flat Thanksgiving Weekend

Britain
Britain
Nice report. I think my wife also would rather do this then shopping. On another note about 20 years ago I passed through the same area. A park ranger had a few vehicles stopped. On the hood of the Park ranger truck was a few fire arms. What happens to people that get caught using firearms in the park?
12/28/2022
Topic:
Stone Circle

Britain
Britain
My Rigs been down for repair for the last 2 years and I finally completed the repairs. Been wanting to hit this Stone Circle out by the Fish Creek Mountains. The Center rock is oriented in the direction of W to E.
Also caught the Plaster City Narrow Gage leaving the mine and heading to Plaster City.

edited by Britain on 1/2/2023
1/2/2023
Topic:
Stone Circle

Britain
Britain
tommy750 wrote:
Not able to see your pics, Britain.

Pictures are stored on an older site. Sometimes certain browsers block the pictures. Change the browser. I cant see then either in Google Chrome.
Ive swapped over to Brave.
edited by Britain on 1/2/2023
1/10/2023
Topic:
first desert weekend of 2023

Britain
Britain
LOL we were at the slot for a visit about a month ago. Wife chuckled at the 20 peso note.
1/10/2023
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Brian wrote:
Britain wrote:
LOL we were at the slot for a visit about a month ago. Wife chuckled at the 20 peso note.

Do you drive through when you go? The dropoff that comes after that looked pretty sketchy.

Went down it a year ago. Couldnt get up it. Its really dug up now. Theres 3 ways though to get down now.

Theres the regular straight ahead, theres another to the west and one from long ago thats on the eastern side.
edited by Britain on 1/10/2023
edited by Britain on 1/10/2023
1/10/2023
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Very cool. Have those pictographs been touched up at some point?

Ive been told some have been touched up.. They look like it also.
1/12/2023
Topic:

Britain
Britain
I wouldnt have thought that the Blue Sun or the other on Indian hill were touched up though Ive heard it from others. The Cart wheel by Montero wash has also been rebuilt from what I've been told. Back when the memorial at the slot had the lighthouse, on the mesa above it was an Indian circle with 2 minor rock formations A spiral and a sunburst like the art at Solstice. This was over 20 years ago. I took the wife there to show her. The area was trashed from off roaders. We looked around for about an hr for them. Then again I wouldnt have known if this was a recently manufactured art. I took some film pictures of the work and I thought I scanned them. If I find them Ill post.
1/12/2023
Topic:
2023 ABDSP and surrounding areas

Britain
Britain
Really nice captures!
2/3/2023
Topic:
Any flowers or blooms showing in Anza Borrego yet?

Britain
Britain
Lots of flowers.
2/13/2023
Topic:
Any flowers or blooms showing in Anza Borrego yet?

Britain
Britain
Carrizo creek north side end on Canyon Sin Nombre had a lot of flowers. The weekend I took the picture is was a zoo out there.
4/9/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
Stumbled on someones long forgotten trail cam. SO old the plastics has melted.

edited by surfponto on 4/11/2023
edited by Britain on 4/11/2023
4/9/2023
Topic:
Pholisma arenarium

Britain
Britain
Root Parasite. Lives off of other plants.

4/11/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
surfponto wrote:
I had to add an https to your images since they weren't loading for me
Not sure if anyone else was having that issue

My picture storage is not a https only http. Not sure what happened to the pictures they were working when posted. Thanks for the head up.

Left the cam alone Ill check next year for a card.

EDIT Got an ssl cert now https
4/11/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
Is this missing now on forum posts?
4/30/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
The headers have the notify missing. Such as this one General discussions. I think they did at one time.
4/30/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
The headers have the notify missing. Such as this one General discussions. I think they did at one time. Umm the notify isn’t working.
edited by Britain on 4/30/2023
5/7/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
Test
6/8/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Re https, industry standard is moving towards all https and browsers are beginning to drop support for http only. SSL is a must at this point for web content. Http only will still work but you will slowly see it stop functioning

Got an SSL now https
8/26/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:
Did anyone get the pics offloaded from this?

Not yet. Ill try and snag them next year if its still there and theres a card in it.
8/26/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:

Not yet. Ill try and snag them next year if its still there and theres a card in it.
8/26/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
Rocko1 wrote:

8/28/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
Buford wrote:
Usually the game cameras set by the park have etched on them "property of CA State Parks" or something similar from a couple I have stumbled on.

State park ones are usually locked with a cable lock, and many in ABDSP have the same key.

LOL never really looked closely at it to see any details. Wasn't on my hit list that day.
8/28/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
Back again not getting e-mail notifications on posts Im watching.
10/15/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
Nothing
10/15/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
Nothing
10/24/2023
Topic:
Notify

Britain
Britain
Nothing
11/14/2023
Topic:
Forum issues

Britain
Britain
Test
11/14/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
Had a knee replacement in October. But I’m gimping around somewhat. Will try and retrieve what’s in in it over thanksgiving.
11/15/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
surfponto wrote:
Speedy recovery 👍
Thanks would love to see what is on the camera.

Britain wrote:
Had a knee replacement in October. But I’m gimping around somewhat. Will try and retrieve what’s in in it over thanksgiving.

Thanks notifications are working again..
11/15/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
surfponto wrote:
Welcome.
Worked it out with the ISP
Bob

Britain wrote:
surfponto wrote:
Speedy recovery 👍
Thanks would love to see what is on the camera.
Make sense. The isp I use keeps changing things and kills the site I run once in a while. But you fixed it.
Britain wrote:

Thanks notifications are working again..

edited by Britain on 11/15/2023
11/25/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
Went out to get the camera card. Camera is no longer there. Guess the camera was still in use.
11/25/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
The BP ones we have found had BP business cards inside the door, no external markings like ABDSP cameras have.

What’s the etiquette when finding a trail cam? I’m sort of relieved it’s gone but a bit pissed. I had my knee replaced in October and it was a bit of work to get to it lol…
11/26/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
rockhopper wrote:
Trail cam etiquette for me: Smile and wave at the camera. Most I happen to see are city, county and state wildlife cameras. I am sure they are quite disappointed to see me meandering around their camera.

lol I brought a laptop and card reader. But alas camera was gone.
12/23/2023
Topic:
Trail Cam from long ago.

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Britain wrote:

What’s the etiquette when finding a trail cam? I’m sort of relieved it’s gone but a bit pissed. I had my knee replaced in October and it was a bit of work to get to it lol…

Don't get caught !!

Tommy750 and I found a few cams in McCain from BP once and then as we moved on found another one hidden way up in a tree looking down at the other ones.

Opps accidentally hit the report to admin…I think they seen me looking at it and moved it. I was spotted lol
12/23/2023
Topic:
Crowds

Britain
Britain
Retired in 2014. Consulted a bit but found out I really didn’t like working. Best thing about retired and hiking is hit it on the off days when the crowd is gone.
1/16/2024
Topic:
Sandstone Canyon question

Britain
Britain
That’s cool. Wonder what the animals are? Been all over sandstone never seen those.
1/18/2024
Topic:
My Retriement

Britain
Britain
Why Florida? Fishing is good. Have some friends there.
1/21/2024
Topic:
Four Frogs Canyon

Britain
Britain
The canyon that goes up to McCain actually has frogs in the springs. I think someone here went up to the top, perhaps Tommy?
1/21/2024
Topic:
Four Frogs Canyon

Britain
Britain
You go up the canyon on the west side? Or the east side. Both have palms.
1/21/2024
Topic:
My Retriement

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
Britain wrote:
Why Florida?

Mostly family choice for various reasons. I went along with it for financial reasons. I can live here on a 1/3 of what is costs to live in CA. Almost all of my family and my wife's family have left CA...so there it is.

I so miss the desert and mountains but am finding some new interests here.

Makes sense. Lived in Florida in the early 70’s. Liked the life. I retired almost 10 years ago. Bought a house in El Centro, paid it off. Didn’t cost much so property value is low less taxes? Lot of cool stuff to do in Florida so it should keep you busy. Will though miss your hiking adventures with Tommy.
1/22/2024
Topic:
Four Frogs Canyon

Britain
Britain
surfponto wrote:
I have been to the East Fork palms.
Haven't been up to the West fork (Four Frogs Canyon) palms.

Britain wrote:
You go up the canyon on the west side? Or the east side. Both have palms.

There’s a lot of deep soft sand. It’s a work out.
2/2/2024
Topic:
Anza Borrego Egg Mountain

Britain
Britain
Nice captures cool rig!
3/10/2024
Topic:
Knee replacement

Britain
Britain
Lost my ability to hike a few years back. Tried but the knee was a mess. Finally got the balls to replace it 5 months ago. Did my first desert hike a couple weeks ago. From the waster tank by the tracks to the north west base of Piedras Grandes. Always wanted to peak it. That will need to wait I think I’ll give PAH benchmark another go when I’m capable. The 2 miles lol was a struggle but I got out. Wife wants to back to Jacumba Jims or the Carrizo creek badlands. I’ll go the bad lands, would rather fall in a rabbit hole. But it was good to get out.
3/10/2024
Topic:
Knee replacement

Britain
Britain
dsefcik wrote:
I remember you having some knee issues awhile back, doesn't seem that long ago but I am going on almost 3 years leaving SD.

Glad you are able to get back out..👍

Find anything interesting to do in Florida?
28 days ago
Topic:
Knee replacement

Britain
Britain
surfponto wrote:
Glad you are able to get back out there and hope it keeps improving.
I like the solitude of that Jacumba Jim's hike.

Wife likes Jacumba Jim’s. We may end up there yet.
20 days ago
Topic:
Middle Ysidro

Britain
Britain
Nice! Looks like your back on the trails!
6 days ago
Topic:
Pinyon Wash to Harper Cabin

Britain
Britain
I was on Granite a while back. Lots of jet traffic that day. Nice captures. I also live about 5 miles from NAF El Centro. Lol I get all the traffic to and from Yuma right over my house. It's really loud when the Blue Angles are in town. Harper flat area is a cool place to hike around and explore.
6 days ago
Topic:

Britain
Britain
tekewin wrote:
Brian wrote:

I always thought Harpers was a closed area for vehicles. Park maps show no vehicle trails in it. Weekend warriors.

It's no longer legal to drive through Harper Flat (despite the fact someone did it last summer and was later found dead).
edited by Brian on 4/12/2024

Thanks! That's great information. I might try a hike to Harper Flat from Pinyon Wash. I want no part of the squeeze or heart attack hill. Coming from Fish Creek is a lot of driving. The Vallecito Mountains and surroundings seem like a really remote part of the park.

edited by Britain on 4/12/2024
6 days ago
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Brian wrote:
Britain wrote:

I always thought Harpers was a closed area for vehicles. Park maps show no vehicle trails in it. Weekend warriors.

Older topo maps do show a jeep trail going through Harpers, but it's been closed to vehicles for probably about 30 years. I hiked through there last September and saw the wheel tracks of the guy who drove in over the summer. He went around a fence that's supposed to keep it closed off from the main road.

It was fenced on the heartsttack hill side or was 10 years ago. Haven't been there for a decade or so. Indian hill area is getting trashed from wheelers and the carrizo creek area is trashed by the painted gorge wheelers.
6 days ago
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Nice to have your wife into hiking. Mine loves it specially in the rocks.
4 days ago
Topic:

Britain
Britain
Wasn't there some kid that took his dad's Tahoe stuck in the squeeze and disappeared years ago also?