HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Four Frogs Canyon Messages in this topic - RSS

surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348


1/21/2024
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348
I took a quick trip out to Carrizo Gorge this past Tuesday morning to hike up Four Frogs Canyon.
I never saw a single car on S2 from Ocotillo to the Carrizo Gorge turnoff.

There was a lot of soft sand in Carrizo Gorge but the Landcruiser just floats over it.
After the hike, I drove over to Egg Mountain to have lunch and a quick beer before heading back to the coast.
Nice mellow day. You've got to love Anza Borrego mid-week. 👍





edited by surfponto on 1/21/2024
edited by surfponto on 2/6/2024

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/



+1 link
Brian
Brian
Posts: 210


1/21/2024
Brian
Brian
Posts: 210
The Four Frogs / Jacumba Jim loop in Schad's book looks like a real slog (starts from the top in McCain Valley). I haven't ruled out doing it some day, but it's definitely not at the top of my list. Never thought of going up from the bottom. Anything interesting there?
+1 link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 587


1/21/2024
Britain
Britain
Posts: 587
The canyon that goes up to McCain actually has frogs in the springs. I think someone here went up to the top, perhaps Tommy?

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348


1/21/2024
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348
There is a palm grove a ways up which I didn't get to.
A lot of cool rock formations and seclusion, on a Tuesday anyway. I want to go back and do a little more exploring and at least get to the palms.



Brian wrote:
The Four Frogs / Jacumba Jim loop in Schad's book looks like a real slog (starts from the top in McCain Valley). I haven't ruled out doing it some day, but it's definitely not at the top of my list. Never thought of going up from the bottom. Anything interesting there?


--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348


1/21/2024
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348
I think you are correct. I remember a post by Tom a few years back

Britain wrote:
The canyon that goes up to McCain actually has frogs in the springs. I think someone here went up to the top, perhaps Tommy?


--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 587


1/21/2024
Britain
Britain
Posts: 587
You go up the canyon on the west side? Or the east side. Both have palms.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2599


1/21/2024
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2599
That whole area is worth the time. McCain Valley and down to ABDSP is a special place, almost not visited by anyone anymore. So much to explore. History, remoteness, amazing place, hope everyone keeps it that way.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+1 link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348


1/22/2024
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348
I have been to the East Fork palms.
Haven't been up to the West fork (Four Frogs Canyon) palms.


Britain wrote:
You go up the canyon on the west side? Or the east side. Both have palms.


--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348


1/22/2024
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1348
Agree Daren
I am glad the junction at Carrizo Gorge and West Fork is not more obvious. It is easy to drive right by it.


dsefcik wrote:
That whole area is worth the time. McCain Valley and down to ABDSP is a special place, almost not visited by anyone anymore. So much to explore. History, remoteness, amazing place, hope everyone keeps it that way.


--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 587


1/22/2024
Britain
Britain
Posts: 587
surfponto wrote:
I have been to the East Fork palms.
Haven't been up to the West fork (Four Frogs Canyon) palms.


Britain wrote:
You go up the canyon on the west side? Or the east side. Both have palms.


There’s a lot of deep soft sand. It’s a work out.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
+1 link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 1036


14 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 1036
Nice trip, Surfponto. Driving out on a Tuesday to explore a canyon, drink a beer and drive home makes me want to quit my job right now! Daren, Gary and I went up Jacumba Jim back in 2017 and I remeber dropping into Four Frogs on the way back but haven't had a chance to explore that canyon. That row of palms on the canyon wall always has looked intriguing. Was out in Rockhouse a couple weeks ago and hiked up into McCain and above the spring that fed Rockhouse. Was aboout 11.5 miles and 2.6K g/s but probably easier than the Schad Four Frogs Jacumba Jim loop.
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software