HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Bahia de Los Angeles Road Trip Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

10/29/2016
tommy750
tommy750
I know it's a tad south of ABDSP but still kinda the trip everyone likes to take. Headed out a couple weeks ago for a short trip to Baja. My first trip to Baja was Thanksgiving 1977 when my cousin invited me to drive down to Bahia de Los Angeles in his 1st Gen Bronco. Was a great trip and always look forward to heading back. The fiancee and I headed south on Hwy 5 and after a late start ended up spending the night in a $50/night San Felipe motel. After that, she suddenly showed an unexpected enthusiasm for camping and avoiding further similar accommodations smile Haven't been to San Felipe since the early 1970's and obviously it's changed. A couple B/Ws from a then 12y/o:

San Felipe Early 1970s by tomteske, on Flickr

San Felipe Early 1970s 2 by tomteske, on Flickr

Made it to LA Bay continuing down Hwy 5. Used to be a nightmare past San Felipe but now has fairly standard Hwy 1 type road to Puertocitos and wonderful wide road to Gonzaga Bay. There's still a 25-30 mile gap to Laguna Chapala on Hwy 1 but it should be done in about 1-2 years.

Hwy 5 Construction by tomteske, on Flickr

Made it to LA Bay and camped on Punta La Gringa. Had a few coyotes pass by several times that night even ending snooping around a few feet outside the truck but couldn't find the camera in time.

Dos Coyotes by tomteske, on Flickr

The next morning.

P1000402 by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000407 by tomteske, on Flickr

Drove on to Bahia de Las Animas and stopped at the remains of the Las Flores silver mining operation from the early 1900's. Only a stone jail remains standing.

P1000441 by tomteske, on Flickr

The road to Las Animas used to be horrible and now it's actually only a little sketchy the last five or so miles.

P1000448 by tomteske, on Flickr

The last couple miles in the good 'ol days. Kinda reminds me of that silty stretch on EC085.

The Silt Road to Bahia de las Animas June 81 by tomteske, on Flickr

Bahia Las Animas. You can see the Tundra as a little dot on the beach.

P1000572 by tomteske, on Flickr

Same place I use to camp in the 1980's and actually looks the same which is kinda weird since every other beach camping spot is now loaded with casitas and keep out signs.

Bahia de Las Animas Tundra by tomteske, on Flickr

Back in the day...

Campsite Bahia de las Animas June 81 by tomteske, on Flickr

A local fisherman wandered down the beach to chat and a couple hours later we were out of Patron, beer and low on vodka. Buddies Francisco more than made up for it the next day by taking Sandie and I out to see his tropical fish operation. He and Horacio capture Blue Spotted Jawfish, a sought after salt water aquarium fish for the world market. It's apparently only endemic to mid Gulf of CA locations on sandy flats at 15-30M depth. Horacio dives down to 15-20M and using an "advanced" fishing rig, captures the little guys and places them in small plastic containers. They store them in barrels offshore and when they have about 400 or so fish they head out to Ensenada with the fish in containers aerated with O2 tanks. They get $2.50 per and a quick internet search indicates they're resold in the $100-200 range. Freakin middlemen!

Horacio showing off his advanced rig. He puts a chunk of meat on a barb-less hook and catches somewhere around 50/hr. The internet says the fish do not appear to be endangered. Notice his Scripps tee. He helps them out doing research on sea cucumbers.

Fishing Gear by tomteske, on Flickr

Old School diving hookah.

Old Scool Hookah by tomteske, on Flickr

Blue Spotted Jawfish by tomteske, on Flickr

Gobio con Puntos Azules by tomteske, on Flickr

Checking their stock before they head to market to make sure everyone is alive. Some die mainly related to getting hooked in the wrong spot.

Francisco y Horacio by tomteske, on Flickr

A less common angel fish

Angel Fish by tomteske, on Flickr

Abandoned fishing camp with a interesting arrangement of engine cowls

Cinco Cowls by tomteske, on Flickr

Nice chapel to the Virgin de Guadalupe.

Santuario Virgin de Guadalupe by tomteske, on Flickr

Pangas.

Dos Pangas by tomteske, on Flickr

We were going to spend another day on the other side of Las Animas. All we had to do was cross a tidal flat and then enjoy the pristine dune lined shore. Well, things went south pretty quick and let's just say we escaped from a major disaster in mud much too deep for a heavy Tundra with an incoming tide. Took only about 30 seconds to get this covered in mud and a heck of a lot longer to wash most of it off.

Close Call by tomteske, on Flickr

Headed back to LA Bay and located a nearby rock shelter with pictos. Several published reports on Cueva Abraham indicate a few pictos but quickly found a few unreported ones with the DStretch app. This is the Northern Abstract Style and is in between our La Rumorosa style and the Great Murals style farther to the south.

Cueva Abraham by tomteske, on Flickr

Cueva Abraham2 by tomteske, on Flickr

Dotted Lines_lds by tomteske, on Flickr

Flames by tomteske, on Flickr

Concentric by tomteske, on Flickr

Headed out to visit another Northern Abstract site on our way to Mision San Francisco de Borja Adac. Unlike the occasional faded picto or two we're used to seeing, Montevideo is chock full of amazing well preserved pictos you don't even have to get out of your car er, 4x4, to see. All along this point are literally hundreds of pictos.

Montevideo Point by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000655 by tomteske, on Flickr

Montevideo by tomteske, on Flickr

MV_lre by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000726_lre by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000741_lre by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000813_lds by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000820_lds by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000811_yrd by tomteske, on Flickr

There is at least one picto representative of the Great Murals style at this site since it's right at the borderzone between the two styles.

Sandie and Great Murals Style by tomteske, on Flickr

Great Murals_lds by tomteske, on Flickr

About 20-25 miles further south is the Jesuit founded Mision San Francisco de Borja Adac.

San Borja Road by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000892 by tomteske, on Flickr

San Borja Cruz Blanco by tomteske, on Flickr

No Cazar by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000907 by tomteske, on Flickr

San Borja Nave by tomteske, on Flickr

P1000946 by tomteske, on Flickr

Spiral Staircase by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren has a lot of pics of this mission taken before the 1997 renovation. He and his wife made it out on a dirt bike. No memory foam mattress and camp stove?? Yikes!

Can't wait to head back out. Enjoy! Tom

Cirios by tomteske, on Flickr
edited by tommy750 on 10/29/2016
edited by tommy750 on 10/29/2016
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius

10/29/2016
ziphius
ziphius
Great trip and photos Tom. I'm always amazed at where people used to drive their VW beetles (and managed to get them out every time). Looks like you got into photography at an early age too.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
tekewin
tekewin

10/29/2016
tekewin
tekewin
Wow, cool trip. Thanks for posting the pix.
link
sddarkman619
sddarkman619

10/29/2016
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Very cool! The mission is a great site, thanks!
link
anutami
anutami

10/29/2016
anutami
anutami
Epic and amazing trip Tom, Awesome photos as always. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure. I always dream of returning to baja one day like in the way distant past but can't seem to muster up the courage to head way south. Thanks for bringing me along and I didn't even have to cross the border smile Sure you don't want to put a small pop up truck camper in the bed of your tundra? happy trails
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

10/30/2016
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Looks like a great trip Tom...I am somewhat envious...since you mentioned my photos, here is San Borja circa 1990 from a motorcycle trip with my wife when we toured BC...can't beleive there is now a road sign pointing the way...haha..and some (dstretched) pictos from San Javier, these are all film of course...

oh, how did **you** get a sunrise photo??

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
tommy750
tommy750

10/30/2016
tommy750
tommy750
ziphius wrote:
Great trip and photos Tom. I'm always amazed at where people used to drive their VW beetles (and managed to get them out every time). Looks like you got into photography at an early age too.

Definitely agree with you on the VW, Jim. Would never drive a 2WD where that Bug has been.
link
tommy750
tommy750

10/30/2016
tommy750
tommy750
anutami wrote:
Sure you don't want to put a small pop up truck camper in the bed of your tundra?

Was thinking about adding something. Even though sleeping in the back of the PU is nice, the dust is always an issue and still had mosquitoes buzzing around. Was thinking about a rooftop tent like this: http://tepuitents.com/collections/3-person-roof-top-tents/products/kukenam-sky-roof-top-tent Any thoughts??

Never have had any problems with safety in Baja but understand your concern.
link
tommy750
tommy750

10/30/2016
tommy750
tommy750
dsefcik wrote:
Looks like a great trip Tom...I am somewhat envious...since you mentioned my photos, here is San Borja circa 1990 from a motorcycle trip with my wife when we toured BC...can't beleive there is now a road sign pointing the way...haha..and some (dstretched) pictos from San Javier, these are all film of course...

oh, how did **you** get a sunrise photo??

Those are great pics of the mission. A lot more tidied up now than when you were there and there's that fence...

As you well know, wasn't planning on any sunrise pics but the coyotes woke me up right before dawn and couldn't fall back asleep upset
link
tommy750
tommy750

10/30/2016
tommy750
tommy750
sddarkman619 wrote:
Very cool! The mission is a great site, thanks!

This one, San Javier, San Ignacio, San Luis Gonzaga are the ones I really like. Hear San Gertrudis is another nice one. Tom
+1 link
sddarkman619
sddarkman619

10/30/2016
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
how old was that mission?
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

10/31/2016
rockhopper
rockhopper
Thanks for the memories! Great trip report and photos. The picto graphs were neat find. My friends and I spent a lot of time in Baja in the 1970's thru the 1990's also. Hey living here in San Diego I was on vacation and didn't even know it and Baja was our other "backyard".! hehe. Baja was like going back in time. I'll add some pics for fun.
This trip was from the 90's

edited by rockhopper on 10/31/2016
link
tommy750
tommy750

10/31/2016
tommy750
tommy750
sddarkman619 wrote:
how old was that mission?

It was founded by the Jesuits in about 1762 ( a visita was there a little earlier) and turned over to the Dominicans a few years later when the Jesuits were booted from Mexico. The Dominicans (read Native Americans) built the stone structure in front of the Jesuit adobe mission and "completed"(it was never entirely finished and still missing the bell tower) work in 1801 just in time for imported disease to decimate the native population and result in the mission being abandoned by 1818.

Here's a great book on Baja Missions if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/Las-Misiones-Antiguas-Missions-California/dp/0826331106/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1477946234&sr=8-9&keywords=baja+missions

There's an even newer book which I haven't seen yet: https://www.amazon.com/Baja-California-Land-Missions-David/dp/1495191214/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477946305&sr=8-5&keywords=baja+missions
link
tommy750
tommy750

10/31/2016
tommy750
tommy750
rockhopper wrote:
Thanks for the memories! Great trip report and photos. The picto graphs were neat find. My friends and I spent a lot of time in Baja in the 1970's thru the 1990's also. Hey living here in San Diego I was on vacation and didn't even know it and Baja was our other "backyard".! hehe. Baja was like going back in time. I'll add some pics for fun.
This trip was from the 90's

edited by rockhopper on 10/31/2016

Nice pics Rockhopper. We used to camp right around the point from this boat when there were zero houses in the area. Great memories. Tom
link