HomeGeneral Discussion

Topics not related specifically to Anza Borrego

Anyone hike Mt Shasta? Messages in this topic - RSS

Britain
Britain

5/5/2017
Britain
Britain
Spent last summer in northern California hiking around. Some backpacking in the redwood forest and then some hiking on Shasta.

Shasta requires a permit for going over 10K ft. This can be bought for about 20 bucks at Bunny flats.
Wasnt sure what I was in for so I took off to see if I could get to the 10K elevation. Hike started about 75K. Must admit at 9K I was a bit winded.
Passed some folk coming down with cliff climbing equipment. Didnt tak to them . 2 groups came down with same equipment.Not sure if it was required or not. Trip was not planned so I wasnt sure what to expect.. Then out of nowhere Budda boy flew by me.
So has anyone done this peak? @ 9500 ft I pulled totally winded out. The Budda guy was really moving.
edited by Britain on 5/5/2017

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

5/6/2017
rockhopper
rockhopper
Climbed it back in the 1990's. I have an old picture somewhere if I can find it. I was on a solo road trip up to Canada from San Diego and wanted to climb another 14 teener on the way. No permit. No ice climbing gear. I just threw a claw hammer in my day pack and took off. Boots, shorts and a t-shirt. I went up the southern route. There is a moderate steep section below the summit but other than that , I remember it was a fun climb. When I got to the top I realized I forgot my camera. Shortly after three young blokes made the summit and took a picture of me and said they would mail it to me. They did!
edited by rockhopper on 5/6/2017
+1 link