HomeUpcoming Trips

Post your upcoming trip out to Anza Borrego here. Great place to organize a group trip.

Thoughts on backpacking Hellhole Canyon. Messages in this topic - RSS

dsrt_dave
dsrt_dave

3/7/2019
dsrt_dave
dsrt_dave
Hello,

I am thinking of backpacking hellhole canyon this weekend. This would be my first solo backpacking trip, and the thought of spending the night, alone, in the canyon does give me a bit of the creeps. I was wondering if it would make more sense to hike out to maidenhair falls and return to the desert floor, near the entrance of the Canyon (before it narrows), and set up camp. Does this seem like a good idea? Sorry if this question sounds dumb, I just wanted to see what you all think.
link
ziphius
ziphius

3/8/2019
ziphius
ziphius
Welcome to the forum. The drive to the trail-head is inherently more dangerous than backpacking alone. I feel safer camping in Anza Borrego than I do sleeping in my house in the city. I have not camped in that area of the park, but see no reason to not try it, especially if you are familiar with it and are comfortable there. In your choice of tent-sites (if you're using a tent), just avoid obvious drainages and animal-use trails. Take photos and let us know how it goes with a trip report. - Jim
edited by ziphius on 3/8/2019

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
+1 link