HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

On the way to Mile High Mountain Messages in this topic - RSS

deborah
deborah

10/22/2019
deborah
deborah
My hamstring injury seems like it's finally healing, so I decided to go test it out on Schad's Mile High Mountain route. It's been quite a while since I've been on that route. I almost forgot how fun it is on the way up, and how demanding on the descent. I went as far as the upper ridge line, when the Salton Sea comes into view. As I understand it the real summit is to the north. Someday I'll go and finish the route. But it was challenging enough as it was. I didn't feel like I missed out. smile

1 mylar balloon retrieved.
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius

10/23/2019
ziphius
ziphius
Nice photos. I haven't been up there, on my wish list. If Mile High is your idea of reintroducing your hamstring to reality, you are tougher than most. smile

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
deborah
deborah

10/23/2019
deborah
deborah
Oh it's been a gradual progression over the last few months. That route isn't something I'd jump into right away. Goodness, those hills are no joke! smile
link
Buford
Buford

10/24/2019
Buford
Buford
Cool report and pics. There was a register earlier this year that was at least a couple years old.

Mile High is one of a few peaks I have repeated since I enjoyed it so much. Definitely one of the better ones. I’ve never done Schad’s route though. Both times I combined it with Pyramid, Rosa and Villager(once).

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
link
tekewin
tekewin

10/25/2019
tekewin
tekewin
Great photos. Looks like you were near the top. Mile High is tough from any direction. Like Buford, I came from Rosa. I'll have to look up the Jerrry Schad route. I think there might be a way up from Rattlesnake Canyon. Good luck with your hammy. Seems like they take forever to heal.
link
deborah
deborah

10/25/2019
deborah
deborah
Buford wrote:
Cool report and pics. There was a register earlier this year that was at least a couple years old.

Mile High is one of a few peaks I have repeated since I enjoyed it so much. Definitely one of the better ones. I’ve never done Schad’s route though. Both times I combined it with Pyramid, Rosa and Villager(once).

Thanks! I haven't been to Pyramid or Rosa yet. That looks like a fun loop. And combining those with Villager... I bet that was a really great trip.
link
deborah
deborah

10/25/2019
deborah
deborah
tekewin wrote:
Great photos. Looks like you were near the top. Mile High is tough from any direction. Like Buford, I came from Rosa. I'll have to look up the Jerrry Schad route. I think there might be a way up from Rattlesnake Canyon. Good luck with your hammy. Seems like they take forever to heal.

Thanks tekewin! The route that I did was an out-and-back starting in Palo Verde Canyon, getting on the west ridge at the second "bend" in the canyon at around 1900' elevation. Then going up, up, up. Rattlesnake Canyon looks really interesting.

And yes, this hamstring issue did take a long time to heal. I'm still easing back into my running, but thankfully it seems to be doing well with hiking.
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius

10/25/2019
ziphius
ziphius
One thing about injuries and running.... the thing that least prepares us for running..... is running. If I don't hike regularly with some weight, my legs never get strong enough for sustained running and I get injured.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
Rocko1
Rocko1

10/31/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Very nice! I looked at this peak when I hiked Villager, without knowing what it was and thought it would be great to hike. Is there any kind trail or is it just 'get to the top'?
link
Buford
Buford

10/31/2019
Buford
Buford
No trails to Mile High. Some game and use trails depending on route. I would not approach Mile High from Villager or Rattlesnake saddle. It is a sandhill on that side. Going down from Mile High to Rattlesnake is fine, wouldn’t want to go up it.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
+1 link
deborah
deborah

10/31/2019
deborah
deborah
Yes, for me it seems like there is more of a use trail at the lower elevations just out of the canyon. And even when those fade out, it seems like the route is straightforward because I suppose there aren't many options to choose from on the ascent. The terrain kind of funnels you toward some fun land bridges that connect the hills. I especially like the variation in the rock - there must be just about ever color out there.

On the descent when I was almost back into the canyon I missed my "turn-off" onto the ridge that I climbed up. It was easy enough to correct though. I had to laugh, I did the exact same thing the first time I was out there. smile
+1 link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

11/4/2019
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Mile High is still on my list....been around it may times but never actually to it...thanks for the TR.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link