HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

PCT South from Scissors Crossing Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444


12/12/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444
Had the day off and decided to head back down and hike the section of the PCT south of Scissors Crossing. It skirts the base of Granite on the north side, crosses Rodriguez Truck Trail and heads up the back of Chariot Mountain. Perfect weather for a long day about 45F at 7am. Wanted to try out new day pack-Osprey Talon 22. It’s a bit heavier than the REI Flash 22 but it has nice hip belts which make carrying more water much more comfortable. Carried 5L with other essentials with zero shoulder soreness.

After about a mile you go through this gate and head straight for Granite.


After about 1.5 miles the trail hugs the mountain and heads west.
Looking back towards the start and Grapevine Mountain.


About 4 miles in looking north west.

Everything out here is so lush. Fern and moss.


About 7 miles in it crosses Rodriguez Truck Trail.

There is a water spigot here. Turned it on and there was flow.


Headed up towards Chariot looking east.


At about the 10 mile mark I stopped for a break.

Looking west you can see the hay road I took a few weeks back.


Some great colors this time of year.


A pine tree on the side of the trail. Anyone know what kind?


A mortero just off the trail as well.


Plenty of campsites used on this section from all the PCT hikers. This one had it’s own hobo stove.


Made it back to the car just before 3. 20.3 miles, 3,320ft gain.


Saw one person on the way back. Good spot during the week to crank out some miles.
link
deborah
deborah
Posts: 109


12/12/2019
deborah
deborah
Posts: 109
Oh I love this section of the PCT! I haven't been out there when it's so green though. It must be so pretty. I'm inspired to go check it out.

I've always liked Osprey packs. Glad yours is working out so far. Nice trip report!
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444


12/13/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444
deborah wrote:
Oh I love this section of the PCT! I haven't been out there when it's so green though. It must be so pretty. I'm inspired to go check it out.

I've always liked Osprey packs. Glad yours is working out so far. Nice trip report!



Thanks. It really is a good workout. The ups and downs don't make the gain seem bad at all.
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 597


12/13/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 597
You timed the perfect weather for putting on some fast miles. Way to go! Nice report. I was out in the desert around the same time, but I was being a lounge lizard soaking in the hot springs looking up at the snow on the San Jacinto's planning my future hikes. hehe
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444


12/13/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444
rockhopper wrote:
You timed the perfect weather for putting on some fast miles. Way to go! Nice report. I was out in the desert around the same time, but I was being a lounge lizard soaking in the hot springs looking up at the snow on the San Jacinto's planning my future hikes. hehe



Thanks. The weather and ground were perfect for the fast hike. I have gotten this '20 before 2' in my head. Started late but this section is conducive to fast miles if there isn't anyone out there during the week really. Same for miles 49 to 59 or so although these are a bit more accessible-great views from up there.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 519


12/15/2019
Britain
Britain
Posts: 519
I've pieced that trail from the border to Scissors. A nice hike you did. Also sport an Osprey backpack

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
+1 link
deborah
deborah
Posts: 109


12/15/2019
deborah
deborah
Posts: 109
On the subject of packs, I wanted to mention Nathan and Ultimate Direction packs. Those have been my favorites over the last few years. I've kind of gotten hooked on the convenience of the front pockets, especially for those days where I want to just move. Of course, those are smaller day packs. I haven't done any overnight trips in a while, but my larger Osprey pack was always so comfortable, even loaded down with climbing gear.
+1 link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 288


12/16/2019
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 288
Great hike on a section of the PCT I doubt I'll see. Ospreys are my fav packs. I have a Talon 22, but 5L of water seems like a a lot for that pack. Did you do that with a hydration pack and loose bottles? BTW, I prefer the camelbak hydration system because they are easier to clean, at least for me. So I usually end up with an Osprey pack and camelbak hydration.
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444


12/16/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444
tekewin wrote:
Great hike on a section of the PCT I doubt I'll see. Ospreys are my fav packs. I have a Talon 22, but 5L of water seems like a a lot for that pack. Did you do that with a hydration pack and loose bottles? BTW, I prefer the camelbak hydration system because they are easier to clean, at least for me. So I usually end up with an Osprey pack and camelbak hydration.



The Talon did great with 5L-I used (2) 1.5L bottles and (2) 1L Smart bottles. I usually use a REI Flash 22 but it's not comfortable with more than 10-12lbs as the hip belt is just a 1" web strap. The Talon was really nice with all the weight I had.

I stopped using bladders because they are a pain for me to clean/dry and after having one spring a leak and losing the bulk of my water I just don't trust them.
link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444


12/16/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 444
Britain wrote:
I've pieced that trail from the border to Scissors. A nice hike you did. Also sport an Osprey backpack



I also would like to do the border to Laguna some weekend. Camp at Lake Morena and do a long day to Laguna.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2513


12/20/2019
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2513
deborah wrote:
On the subject of packs, I wanted to mention Nathan and Ultimate Direction packs..

Back when I was doing all of the ultra running stuff, the UD gear was my favorite for sure.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+1 link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software