HomeAnza Borrego General

Anything about Anza Borrego that does not fit into one of the other forums.

Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951


1/14/2021
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951
Just an FYI about something you may have already heard about in the news. Was out hiking the past two weekends in the Dos Cabezas and Piedras Grandes area and encountered three deceased rabbits which is way more than I've ever seen just walking around before. Visited the Cal Fish and Wildlife site and noted they recommend reporting multiple rabbit deaths to aid in surveillance of Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease. So I did right here: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Laboratories/Wildlife-Investigations/Monitoring#55671861-rabbit-hemorrhagic-disease Got a nice call from Sacramento this afternoon from Kelsey, a cheery Fish and Wildlife rep interested in the find. Not sure what happens next but would suggest all of you desert hikers file similar reports if you encounter rabbit mortality since Kelsey seems to indicate the responsible virus is a bad actor and currently present in San Diego County.

IMG_5683 by tomteske, on Flickr
+2 link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 262


1/17/2021
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 262
Thanks for the info. I've never heard of this. I'll keep a look out. Sounds like Rabbit ebola.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


1/18/2021
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
Also bad news if you're a red-tailed hawk, bobcat, coyote....

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 560


1/18/2021
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 560
Hope this "bad actor virus" leaves the desert soon.
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951


1/18/2021
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951
ziphius wrote:
Also bad news if you're a red-tailed hawk, bobcat, coyote....

Ziphius, did you mean no species barrier or less fresh meat?
link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 387


1/19/2021
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 387
ziphius wrote:
Also bad news if you're a red-tailed hawk, bobcat, coyote....

RHD isn't zoonotic and only affects rabbits.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


1/19/2021
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
tommy750 wrote:
ziphius wrote:
Also bad news if you're a red-tailed hawk, bobcat, coyote....

Ziphius, did you mean no species barrier or less fresh meat?


Tommy, yes, I meant that rabbits are an extremely-important dietary item to those carnivores.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951


1/19/2021
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951
Rocko1 wrote:
ziphius wrote:
Also bad news if you're a red-tailed hawk, bobcat, coyote....

RHD isn't zoonotic and only affects rabbits.



Thank you for the clarification, Rocko1.
+1 link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951


1/19/2021
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951
ziphius wrote:
tommy750 wrote:
ziphius wrote:
Also bad news if you're a red-tailed hawk, bobcat, coyote....

Ziphius, did you mean no species barrier or less fresh meat?


Tommy, yes, I meant that rabbits are an extremely-important dietary item to those carnivores.

Thanks, Ziphius. Looking around the Fish and Wildlife site, just noted human carnivores have a year round jack rabbit open season as well.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


1/20/2021
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
Yes, let us not forget the human carnivores!
tommy750 wrote:
ziphius wrote:
tommy750 wrote:
ziphius wrote:
Also bad news if you're a red-tailed hawk, bobcat, coyote....

Ziphius, did you mean no species barrier or less fresh meat?


Tommy, yes, I meant that rabbits are an extremely-important dietary item to those carnivores.

Thanks, Ziphius. Looking around the Fish and Wildlife site, just noted human carnivores have a year round jack rabbit open season as well.


--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135


5 days ago
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135
Found 4 dead cottontails on our property recently. Hopefully it is the virus and not a neighbor poisoning them.
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951


4 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951
DesertWRX wrote:
Found 4 dead cottontails on our property recently. Hopefully it is the virus and not a neighbor poisoning them.

Did you report them to Fish and Wildlife? The link is above if you want to.
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software