HomeAnza Borrego General

Anything about Anza Borrego that does not fit into one of the other forums.

Best Mylar Ballon Trip Messages in this topic - RSS

dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


5/11/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
What is your best mylar ballon take for a trip?

Here are just a few of mine

Canebrake Wash (as Tommy750 found, one of these had a note..an "I love you so much" type note)


Blair Valley (9 balloons in this bundle)


Indian Valley

<em>edited by dsefcik on 5/11/2012</em>

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876


5/13/2012
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876
dsefcik wrote:
What is your best mylar ballon take for a trip?


Canebrake Wash (as Tommy750 found, one of these had a note..an "I love you so much" type note)

My average number of baloons picked up per hike was zero---till I joined this forum. Now I scoop up every one I see thanks to you. Tom
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


5/13/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
tommy750 wrote:

My average number of baloons picked up per hike was zero---till I joined this forum. Now I scoop up every one I see thanks to you. Tom


GREAT!!!

There are some though that are so crumbly and dried up in thick catclaw that not even the best of us can recover. I have tried to get a few only to have them crumble into dust and float away.

BEWARE of putting your hands into a bush to extract a balloon, ALWAYS make sure there are no snakes or other critters in there first!!

Thanks Tom!!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808


5/14/2012
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808
My best is 3, but that was from Big Sur. smile ABDSP high is 2, from Inner Pasture. Sighted a 3rd, but couldn't get to it.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267


5/15/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267
If we could add the beach by my house I would have a good number smile

Maybe not as good as Daren but....?

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808


5/15/2012
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808
Before this thread started, I had been talking with my girlfriend about the balloon problem. We had both read the 'Floating Menace' link that Daren posted and thought of ways to reduce the number of balloons released into the wild. Besides outlawing helium, our main crazy idea was a form of eco-terrorism, involving popping the balloons in-store before they are sold. It would take a subtle method, such as a straight pin or a micro- blow-dart straw. Eventually, you would get caught. So, we're working on other ideas, such as education campaigns. My girlfriend thought of a "balloon deposit", where you return the balloon to the store to get your money back. But the deposit would have to be big enough (say $5) to motivate people to return them. If folks would just stop losing them to the sky...... any technology out there that could be inside the balloon so that when it reached a certain height, say 50 ft., it would "pop" on its own? That would at least keep a majority of the balloons in urban areas.

On an unrelated note, we were picking up trash at Coronado Beach last weekend and I came up with the idea of training corvids (crows, jays, ravens) to fly around and pick up trash and return items to a reward station for food pellets. They are very smart birds with great eyesight.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


5/15/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
OK, at first I was dying from laughter reading your ideas, then I realized you had some great ideas...self destruct balloons?? Perfect...humm..except what if they were released near wildlife to begin with? Good start though. How about making the balloons out of eco friendly or digestible materials to begin with? Ziphius, I think you are on to something....


ziphius wrote:
Before this thread started, I had been talking with my girlfriend about the balloon problem. We had both read the 'Floating Menace' link that Daren posted and thought of ways to reduce the number of balloons released into the wild. Besides outlawing helium, our main crazy idea was a form of eco-terrorism, involving popping the balloons in-store before they are sold. It would take a subtle method, such as a straight pin or a micro- blow-dart straw. Eventually, you would get caught. So, we're working on other ideas, such as education campaigns. My girlfriend thought of a "balloon deposit", where you return the balloon to the store to get your money back. But the deposit would have to be big enough (say $5) to motivate people to return them. If folks would just stop losing them to the sky...... any technology out there that could be inside the balloon so that when it reached a certain height, say 50 ft., it would "pop" on its own? That would at least keep a majority of the balloons in urban areas.

On an unrelated note, we were picking up trash at Coronado Beach last weekend and I came up with the idea of training corvids (crows, jays, ravens) to fly around and pick up trash and return items to a reward station for food pellets. They are very smart birds with great eyesight.


--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808


5/16/2012
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808
I like the digestible- or biodegradable-material idea. The Mylar and Latex industry would not, heh? My buddy Nick further evolved one idea. Instead of training crows to pick up trash, train crows to attack and return popped helium balloons for food rewards. It doesn't matter if the balloon is free-floating or tethered... There are a lot of crows around that could be put to work. Imagine the havoc crows would create at kids' birthday parties in the park....

dsefcik wrote:
OK, at first I was dying from laughter reading your ideas, then I realized you had some great ideas...self destruct balloons?? Perfect...humm..except what if they were released near wildlife to begin with? Good start though. How about making the balloons out of eco friendly or digestible materials to begin with? Ziphius, I think you are on to something....


ziphius wrote:
Before this thread started, I had been talking with my girlfriend about the balloon problem. We had both read the 'Floating Menace' link that Daren posted and thought of ways to reduce the number of balloons released into the wild. Besides outlawing helium, our main crazy idea was a form of eco-terrorism, involving popping the balloons in-store before they are sold. It would take a subtle method, such as a straight pin or a micro- blow-dart straw. Eventually, you would get caught. So, we're working on other ideas, such as education campaigns. My girlfriend thought of a "balloon deposit", where you return the balloon to the store to get your money back. But the deposit would have to be big enough (say $5) to motivate people to return them. If folks would just stop losing them to the sky...... any technology out there that could be inside the balloon so that when it reached a certain height, say 50 ft., it would "pop" on its own? That would at least keep a majority of the balloons in urban areas.

On an unrelated note, we were picking up trash at Coronado Beach last weekend and I came up with the idea of training corvids (crows, jays, ravens) to fly around and pick up trash and return items to a reward station for food pellets. They are very smart birds with great eyesight.

<em>edited by ziphius on 5/16/2012</em>

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


6/2/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
We call the Clark Dry Lake area "The place where Mylar balloons go to die". They are all over the valley. Here's a morning pic of the smoke dipping into Clark Dry Lake.



[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/BillFX/Fire.jpg[/IMG]
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520


6/7/2012
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520
Wow, neat shot of the smoke "dipping" into Clark dry lake. Was that the smoke from the Banner / Granite mountian fire?

Regarding balloons: I think I have spotted balloons on every back country desert hike I have been on. From shriveled up rubber balloons on the desert varnish floor to wrap around the cactus mylar balloon type.
<em>edited by rockhopper on 6/7/2012</em>
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


6/7/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
This was last summer and from the reservation fire up above us in Warner Springs. Found a New Years mylar balloon a few nights ago in San Felipe Wash near the Buttes.
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876


6/12/2012
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876
dsefcik wrote:
What is your best mylar ballon take for a trip?

Apparently these mylar balloons are bad for the environment both in the city and wilderness!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47781743/ns/local_news-san_diego_ca/#.T9emOxdYvgE
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


6/12/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
From that NBC article:
When mylar balloons got caught in overhead power lines, the lines were overloaded, broke and fell on cars parked along Lincoln Avenue according to a utility spokesperson.


Mylar balloons "overloaded" a power line and caused it to break and fall??

Nice one tommy750 smile

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876


6/25/2012
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876
I've been performing a little experiment in my office the last three months. Was out looking for the Carrizo Canyon shamen cave on 4-14-12 and came across a mylar trifecta under the gaze of BM Windy.


Trifecta at Windy by tomteske, on Flickr


Happy Birthday by tomteske, on Flickr

The larger Happy Birthday balloon looked quite similar to the Happy Birthday mylar balloon floating in my office. Mine was missing the pink boa, but let's not get picky. Purchased by my wonderful but mylar-balloon-naive staff (they're well-informed now!) March 22, 2012, it has floated at the ceiling of my office for over three months. This pic was taken 5-01-12.


Happy Birthday 5-01-12 by tomteske, on Flickr

Today and only today, the balloon began its slow descent toward earth. Although it spent the last three months in a semi-protected environment, it appears these things AND the gods are the only immortals! Can't imagine how far they drift.


Birthday Balloon June 2012 by tomteske, on Flickr

Collected two mylar and one latex balloons this past weekend on a six mile hike over Table Mountain. That place is so littered with garbage, it would take a few trash trucks to make a noticeable difference. Tom
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


6/26/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Happy UnBirthday Tom..!

I find many balloons still with air/helium in them. You have to stomp them to get them crunched up, sometimes the loud pop can wake up a quiet desert canyon.
The Elmo balloon I found last week was still alive and kicking, it was tangled up in some creosote.
<em>edited by dsefcik on 6/27/2012</em>

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


6/27/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
Not in the park but at the old Salton Sea Navy station recently
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/BillFX/Mylar.jpg[/IMG]
link
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62


7/2/2012
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62
Started following SDGE on twitter during the last big power outage. Interesting that they just sent this out.

Have a safe 4th of July. If you use Mylar balloons, tie them down, dispose properly & avoid outages: http://bit.ly/BMylarSafe Pls RT
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/2/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
DRT Lakeside wrote:
Started following SDGE on twitter during the last big power outage. Interesting that they just sent this out.

Have a safe 4th of July. If you use Mylar balloons, tie them down, dispose properly & avoid outages: http://bit.ly/BMylarSafe Pls RT


I think it is even more interesting that MSNBC pulled the article Tommy750 referenced a couple of posts up about the balloons causing powerline outages and fires. I did find an article on LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oew-scott10-2008jun10,0,4732423.story

"And here is the easy solution: Prohibit balloons with a metallic content from being filled with helium -- these are the ones that become entangled in power lines. This isn't rocket science."

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


7/17/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
7-17-12 A trip up Coyote Canyon today to do our Adopt A Trail/Wash duties. Found only 1 Mylar balloon where the road gets close to Coyote Mtn.

Last week a friend and I were in Ocotillo Wells to look what the rain done to the park Friday (WOW!) and found 1 balloon (might have been in ABDSP, not sure).
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/17/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
DesertWRX:

Thanks for the update, hopefully we are slowly getting rid of the damn things..!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
Borregolinda
Borregolinda
Posts: 69


7/17/2012
Borregolinda
Borregolinda
Posts: 69
Found a Disney Princess one in Coytoe Canyon today! Made it to our trash at home.
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876


7/18/2012
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876
dsefcik wrote:
What is your best mylar ballon take for a trip?

Was out in McCain Valley late this afternoon taking a short hike. Found two latex ballons and a mylar. Was dismayed to find a bunch of large plastic bags used by Sunrise scattered over the chaparral. Picked five out of the brush. Not sure I got all of them since it was getting dark.


Baggy Count by tomteske, on Flickr


Hydro-Blanket BFM by tomteske, on Flickr


Trash Truck by tomteske, on Flickr
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/18/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
tommy750:

Amazing how they don't give a ****...just a job to them..I have seen SD city workers toss spray paint cans into the bushes...sigh....

Thank you to everyone who has stepped up and collected the garbage on your ventures in the park and elsewhere..!!

BTW, this BFM crap is the fake green stuff you see sprayed all over construction areas.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520


7/19/2012
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520
I saw this today. Not in ABDSP, but in the same county!
5,000 with-out power due to Metallic balloon.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/19/more-than-2250-without-power-in-vista/
<em>edited by rockhopper on 7/19/2012</em>
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/19/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Bingo! Thanks for sharing that, I missed it.

rockhopper wrote:
I saw this today. Not in ABDSP, but in the same county!
5,000 with-out power due to Metallic balloon.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/19/more-than-2250-without-power-in-vista/
edited by rockhopper on 7/19/2012


--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


7/30/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
Thursday night (7-26-12) in Beckman Wash found a plain silver one.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


8/2/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
I can't believe how many of these damn things there are, more balloon bagging in Indian Valley


--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


8/10/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
Save your Mylar balloons that you find in ABDSP!Whaaaaa?

Supervising Ranger Sue McLaughlin wants those pesky mylar balloons. Why? The State Park needs balloons to decorate their float for Borrego Days. Sue said you can bring the balloons to ranger headquarters and drop them off. Mention that they are for the float. If you are not familiar with the location of ranger headquarters it is at the intersection of Palm Canyon Dr. and S-22 (Montezuma Valley Rd.) in the old realty building.
link
Borregolinda
Borregolinda
Posts: 69


10/22/2012
Borregolinda
Borregolinda
Posts: 69
Found reminints of 3 Mylar Ballons in Coyote Canyon today. One disintegrated as I grabbed it! But I got it!
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


10/23/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Borregolinda wrote:
Found reminints of 3 Mylar Ballons in Coyote Canyon today. One disintegrated as I grabbed it! But I got it!


Those are the tough ones, pieces that crumble away...thanks for nabbing it up!!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


10/30/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Did anybody go see the balloon float this last weekend? Any pictures??

DesertWRX wrote:
Save your Mylar balloons that you find in ABDSP!Whaaaaa?

Supervising Ranger Sue McLaughlin wants those pesky mylar balloons. Why? The State Park needs balloons to decorate their float for Borrego Days. Sue said you can bring the balloons to ranger headquarters and drop them off. Mention that they are for the float. If you are not familiar with the location of ranger headquarters it is at the intersection of Palm Canyon Dr. and S-22 (Montezuma Valley Rd.) in the old realty building.


--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


10/31/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
We were out of town and missed all the excitement. Borrego Days is the biggest event for this town.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808


12/24/2013
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808
My best mylar yet.

Near Big Spring. Happy Holidays everyone. smile
edited by ziphius on 12/24/2013

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


12/24/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
@ziphius: Thumbs Up

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808


11/9/2014
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808
Five mylar day yesterday on a trip to the Jacumba VABM / Table Mtn. area. This was an artistic bundle of three. Also 9 beer cans.


edited by ziphius on 11/9/2014
edited by ziphius on 11/9/2014

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


11/9/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Nice...I always watch for the brush sweeps in the sand but have never seen a balloon sweep before...Thumbs Up

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
Florian
Florian
Posts: 129


11/9/2014
Florian
Florian
Posts: 129
Just want to say how much i love all the people on this forum. Picking up the balloons and trash. Such a great group of people.

-Florian
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


11/9/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Florian wrote:
Just want to say how much i love all the people on this forum. Picking up the balloons and trash. Such a great group of people.

-Florian
i agree Toast

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133


11/12/2014
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 133
Got back today from a 3 night stay at the Arroyo Salado campground. Picked up only 3 on my morning hikes.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


11/12/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
DesertWRX wrote:
Got back today from a 3 night stay at the Arroyo Salado campground. Picked up only 3 on my morning hikes.
Just amazing how many there are out there, I picked up 3 and left 2 to finish rotting in the cholla this last weekend.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


11/27/2014
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
We may have a new record here....26 ballons in one trip!! Will have more about the 4 day backpack trip in Rockhouse in the next couple days but thought I would share this first.



--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267


11/27/2014
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267
Awesome Daren !

dsefcik wrote:
We may have a new record here....26 ballons in one trip!! Will have more about the 4 day backpack trip in Rockhouse in the next couple days but thought I would share this first.



--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software