HomeAnza Borrego General

Anything about Anza Borrego that does not fit into one of the other forums.

Older Anza Borrego maps Messages in this topic - RSS

rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520


7/19/2012
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520
Hello all. Found these while looking through "my stuff". While not real "old" I thought this would be a start of an interesting thread.
Please continue to add any older maps you might find interesting. Older map information is often "removed" and or missing from the later generation of maps
and is of great information to us, the "explorer" community.

Map A : Army Corp of Engineers. 1953 road data.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS004.jpg[/IMG]

Map B: Army Corp of Engineers. 1977 road data.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS002.jpg[/IMG]


Few points of interest.

1. Notice the old spelling of "borego" on map A
2. Notice the new location of Borrego Springs on map B
3. Notice the town of Ranchita moved to the East on map B
4. Map a was created prior to the "ABDSP"
edited by rockhopper on 7/19/2012
<em>edited by rockhopper on 7/19/2012</em>
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/19/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Great thread..I love maps.

Caltopo has "Historic" map layers when available. Try it out http://caltopo.com/

In the upper right hand corner you can click the drop down and select the Historic map layers. It also has a transparency slider....great stuff, thanks mrkmc for showing us this!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267


7/19/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267
I remember when I was arguing about the existence of a jeep trail that certain administrative type people denied ever existed.
I found and older Anza Borrego Map and there it was.

Area is now off limits, which was a bit of a drag since it was a great car camping site.

I will have to check Daren's CalTopo link to see when it disappeared

Anyway.....upset



rockhopper wrote:
Hello all. Found these while looking through "my stuff". While not real "old" I thought this would be a start of an interesting thread.
Please continue to add any older maps you might find interesting. Older map information is often "removed" and or missing from the later generation of maps
and is of great information to us, the "explorer" community.

Map A : Army Corp of Engineers. 1953 road data.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS004.jpg[/IMG]

Map B: Army Corp of Engineers. 1977 road data.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS002.jpg[/IMG]


Few points of interest.

1. Notice the old spelling of "borego" on map A
2. Notice the new location of Borrego Springs on map B
3. Notice the town of Ranchita moved to the East on map B
4. Map a was created prior to the "ABDSP"
edited by rockhopper on 7/19/2012
edited by rockhopper on 7/19/2012


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87


7/19/2012
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87
Interesting. On the current usgs map, the s22 is shown as under construction east of Ranchita. The under construction route varies from the current alignment. as it nears Borrego Springs. I never realized this until I was hiking to the Hans Benchmark from s22. It took me a while to figure out I wasn't standing at the bend in the road shown just above the Hans BM on the topo, but was further up the ridge where there is no road shown on the map.
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267


7/19/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267
Yep the mysterious Jeep Trail still shows up on the CalTopo maps smile


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/19/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
surfponto wrote:
Yep the mysterious Jeep Trail still shows up on the CalTopo maps smile


You know they have really fenced that trail off now right?? Lots of wood posts all around that area now.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267


7/19/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267
Yeah I did see that a while ago. upset
It was great camp spot

dsefcik wrote:
surfponto wrote:
Yep the mysterious Jeep Trail still shows up on the CalTopo maps smile


You know they have really fenced that trail off now right?? Lots of wood posts all around that area now.


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876


7/20/2012
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 876
dsefcik wrote:
Great thread..I love maps.

Check out www.raremaps.com. It's run by a real nice guy named Barry Ruderman and is located near Pearl and Girard in La Jolla. They have a bunch of interesting maps of Baja and California not to mention the rest of the world. Their website is amazing and the store is well worth the visit.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808


7/20/2012
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 808
Love this stuff. I've got some 1930s maps of S.D. county that I should scan and add to here. smile - Jim

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520


7/23/2012
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520
Here is a close up of the earlier posted photos showing the new spelling and relocation of "Borrego Springs"

Army corp of Engineers relief maps

Note the location of the "borrego sink" and the new "Desert Lodge"

1953 road data map
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS008.jpg[/IMG]

1977 road data map
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS009.jpg[/IMG]


Another point of intrest I thought I would share, although slightly outside the ABDSP is the Lake Henshaw water levels from the 1953 map vs the 1977 map

1953 road data
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS006.jpg[/IMG]


1977 road data
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/metalmeister/ABDSP/CopyofABUSGS005.jpg[/IMG]

Pretty much confirms what we already know. Scientists have confirmed the the deserts have moved North approx. 100 miles in the past 100 years.
My feeling is the the warming from the last ice age cycle is still continuing. When does the ice age cycle reverse and rainfall increases once again. Soon I hope!
edited by rockhopper on 7/23/2012
edited by rockhopper on 7/23/2012
edited by rockhopper on 7/23/2012
<em>edited by rockhopper on 7/23/2012</em>
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/23/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
rockhopper wrote:

Scientists have confirmed the the deserts have move North approx. 100 miles in the past 100 years.


Do you have any good online reference(s) to this subject?

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520


7/23/2012
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520
Hi Daren,
Here is one link to the general information.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~atejs/stories/F04/downloads/F04_kline_migration.pdf

I will try to find source for the specfic quote. It's been a while. I will try to locate.

Moving to Southern California in 1962, I can definately say I have seen the change in the trees and vegitation.
I have some photos taken 20 years apart somewhere on "film" clearly showing the landscape "drying out"
link
lcota
lcota
Posts: 1


7/24/2012
lcota
lcota
Posts: 1
Hi all,

This website is a great resource. I enjoy reading all the trip reports. I am also quit fascinated with maps, I can't pass a map without stopping to look at it. So when I saw
this thread I figured I would share some of the results of my Google searching for maps.

There is a nice open-source data base of USGS 7.5 minute maps at link. You can search for maps using feature names or by feature type.

Another good website for USGS maps of Southern California is link. This site covers all of San Diego, Riverside, Imperial, and San Bernardino counties.
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267


7/25/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267
Great link
I checked out a few of the San Diego county maps available.

NIce resource

Welcome to the forum smile





lcota wrote:
Hi all,

This website is a great resource. I enjoy reading all the trip reports. I am also quit fascinated with maps, I can't pass a map without stopping to look at it. So when I saw
this thread I figured I would share some of the results of my Google searching for maps.

There is a nice open-source data base of USGS 7.5 minute maps at link. You can search for maps using feature names or by feature type.

Another good website for USGS maps of Southern California is link. This site covers all of San Diego, Riverside, Imperial, and San Bernardino counties.


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/25/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
lcota wrote:

There is a nice open-source data base of USGS 7.5 minute maps at link. You can search for maps using feature names or by feature type.


I have been using libremap.org for years, great resource.

Welcome as well....!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388


7/25/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2388
Not sure if anyone has have ever used the USGS NHD system. I have watched it evolve over the years and it is interesting, not sure I have gotten the hang of it though.

http://nhdgeo.usgs.gov/viewer.htm

USGS has some inline resources also http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/maps.html

They have some historical maps there http://cida.usgs.gov/hqsp/apex/f?p=262:1

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267


7/25/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1267
rockhopper wrote:

Pretty much confirms what we already know. Scientists have confirmed the the deserts have moved North approx. 100 miles in the past 100 years.


Does that mean we will have Boojum Trees and Cardon Cactus in Anza Borrego sometime in the future smile


<em>edited by surfponto on 7/25/2012</em>

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520


7/28/2012
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 520
Surf,
Maybe those species will show up in ABDSP in the future unless a new ice age comethsmile
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software