HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Ancient Lake Cahuilla shore line trip May 2015 Messages in this topic - RSS

rockhopper
rockhopper

5/21/2015
rockhopper
rockhopper
Got a chance to make a quick mid week run from the coast out to the desert after the latest rain. Camped out off S22 near the county line. The new moon made some fantastic star gazing! The next day I made my way to a section of the ancient lake Cahuilla I have never been too. About 2 miles north of this site I visited in prior years.

Here is the shore line today. Last full lake fill 400 years ago +/- ??

Shells below shore line from last full lake fill.

Some sleeping circles near the old shore line.

edited by rockhopper on 5/21/2015
Old trail set back from shore line about 100 feet.

Chippings near sleeping circles.

Spotted this laying on the surface. Interesting in that a laver of caliche and or travertine covered a portion of the stone tool and also patina after manufacture. Appears very old. Hid in bush for next traveler 100 years from now. :-)

Same stone tool, other side. Large mammal meat cutter? Appears very old est. 500-1000 years?? Older??

Passed this fault along S22. That bluff is about 100 feet high. Pacific plate meet North American plate. Yikes!

Heading back, stopped at the old adobe ranch house ( circa 1849 ) at Warner's ranch off S2 along the Butter field stage route. PS you can catch a glimpse of it on west bound S2 nearing Hwy 79. If you blink you will miss it. Cheers!

Edit to post pics. Thanks Daren!
link