Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Stone Tools 2.0 Messages in this topic - RSS

rockhopper
rockhopper

3/12/2016
rockhopper
rockhopper
Hello all,
Back to my local hiking spot to take some more photos and photo some more stone tools scattered through out the area as I mentioned in my previous post. Again like before, all were just laying around on the surface, gathered to photo and put back in their resting places. I just wanted to add to the data base for those who are interested. Most are crude stone tools along with some finer made points.

Point made from Green Andesite as the obsidian source is far away.

Typical chippings found all over "The hill" over looking a ancient native American trail.

Some crude scrapers.

A perfect wheel/ roller.

Some worn scoopers.

More odds and ends.

Tool for arrow manufacture? Tool for stick and bow fire starter?

Blooms in the back country

My elusive Bob Cat friend.

Cheers
edited by rockhopper on 3/12/2016
link
ziphius
ziphius

3/13/2016
ziphius
ziphius
The lichens on the tools are a nice touch. Hey, can you tell us what material the 3rd photo is? I see that a lot (or something very similar) in flakes in Anza Borrego. - Jim

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

3/13/2016
rockhopper
rockhopper
Ziphius
The material is the same as in photo 12. I belive it is Ryholite. Others please chime in. The dark material is found in cobbles in the stream beds as it does not occur in the local terrain. I know the Ryholite was from lava flows millions of years ago from an area on mainland Mexico when San Diego county ( Pacific plate ) was in alignment with what is now Mexico many miles south. Yes, the lichens are pretty neat. Sitting there a long time.
link