HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Thinking of ABDSP while in DVNP Messages in this topic - RSS

hikerdmb
hikerdmb

7/1/2011
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Just returned from a 4 day trip around Death Valley and couldn't help but compare and contrast with earlier trips in ABDSP. We left 395 on the Trona Road and headed for the Panamint Valley. Here is the view into the valley from the south end.

On the descent down into the valley we looked for the army men and dolls but only found these two.

Our trip through Panamint Valley was amazing. It was quite green (the creosote bushes just like in ABDSP) and temp stayed around 107 - 108 degrees late into the afternoon.
Here are the sand dunes found at the north end of the valley.

We headed west on 190 and then turned north on the road to Hunter Mountain and the Saline Valley. We climbed up out of the heat to a bit over 6000 feet elevation and spent a somewhat windy night on Hunter Mountain. From our campsite we had views into Ulida Flat, Hidden Valley, the Racetrack, and over to Saline Valley.

The next day we retraced our route off Hunter Mountain and then turned north at South Pass for the descent down Grapevine Canyon (not the same Grapevine Canyon as in ABDSP). We had been on this road twice before, once after coming through Saline over Steel Pass from the Eureka Sand Dunes and once after dropping down Lippencott Road from the Racetrack. But this was the first time we saw the plants that give this canyon it's name.

We kept heading downhill for a long time always thinking we were getting close to the bottom of the valley but not getting any closer.

We finally made it to the salt flat at the bottom and it was spectacular. The temps here were about 104 degrees.

We then went past the marsh right near the road. That is Steel Pass off in the distance.

We headed for Willow Creek Camp for some shade and to have lunch but it was a private area with a locked gate. Too bad. It looked very cool under that canopy of trees.

We continued on up out of Saline Valley and it seemed to go on forever. By the way in about 80 miles of backroad driving this day we saw only one other rig, and that was in the first mile after South Pass. Looking downhill...

Looking uphill...

We finally made it out of Saline Valley and continued on toward Big Pine Road. There were lots of relics of mining days along this stretch. After hitting pavement we went into Big Pine for some gas and ice and then turned right around and headed out of town in the same direction. This time though we turned offf Big Pine Road and headed into the Inyo Mountains. Our camp for the night would be in Papoose Flat. Here is the view coming into the flat with the Sierra Nevada Mountains across the Owen's Valley.

We had a great campsite and another somewhat windy night but since we were over 8000 feet elevation it was nice and cool.

Hiked around the flat over to the edge where it drops about 5000 feet down to the floor of the Owen's Valley.

The third day we left the desert behind and drove down the the Very Long Array of dishes in the Owen's Valley. Then we took some dirt roads up to the base of the Sierra just explore some new areas. Finally we decided to head up the Onion Valley Road out of Independence and camped near the trailhead for Kearsarge Pass. Again we were over 8000 feet elevation so we had one last cool night.

Drove home the fourth day with no traffic, always a good way to end a trip north. Not exactly a ABDSP trip report but I did think about Borrego and we discussed it on this trip so I hope that counts enough to leave this TR.

David
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

7/1/2011
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
David I love the comparison with Borrego. We spent a few days out in Death Valley a few years back and really enjoyed it.
Daren spent 10+ days out there last year.

We are heading to Baja in a week so I will post a TR since Borrego and Baja are both part of the Sonoran Desert smile

Thanks for posting the great pictures

Bob

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb

7/2/2011
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Bob,
I remember Daren's trip. We didn't hike like that, mostly offroad driving. Have a great time in Baja. Can't wait to see some pics. David
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

7/4/2011
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
David, awesome trip, awesome report..you know Death Valley hits a soft spot for me, I think it may be my mostest favorite place in the world...

That toy doll cave does not look like the one I saw, there was no post next to it. Check out my pics attached to this message.

Daren

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com

link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb

7/5/2011
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Daren,
That looks like the same little cave. In fact the two dolls in my pic are in your pic too. The metal post by the cave in my pic was just a short piece of I-beam that was standing upright. It was moveable. I guess all the other dolls in that cave moved to a cooler home this summer.
David
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

7/5/2011
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
OK, I laughed so hard after I read that smile
Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh

hikerdmb wrote:
Daren,
That looks like the same little cave. In fact the two dolls in my pic are in your pic too. The metal post by the cave in my pic was just a short piece of I-beam that was standing upright. It was moveable. I guess all the other dolls in that cave moved to a cooler home this summer.
David

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

link