HomeUpcoming Trips

Post your upcoming trip out to Anza Borrego here. Great place to organize a group trip.

Granite Mountain Peak? Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1

2/15/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Has anyone done Granite Peak recently? Looking at doing this via Cool Canyon. Seems the 2013 fire cleared up some of the brush but I wasn't sure how thick it's grown back since.
link
Buford
Buford

2/15/2019
Buford
Buford
Not recently, but I have done the route from Cool Canyon. It is a step up in difficulty from Whale. Brush was no issue, I did it a year or so after the fire.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
+1 link
Scooter
Scooter

2/16/2019
Scooter
Scooter
Hiked Granite a few months ago. Took the route from the old Redmond gold mine on the Southwest side of the mountain. Parked on Rodriquez truck trail 1/4 mile north of Oriflame Road. Look for a rock carin on the right side of the road. You follow the road up to the mine. Gained the ridge just East of the mine. The ridge where the last A in Anza is on the Topo The fire did clear out all the brush. Easy walk up to the peak. Great hike with a bonus gold mine thrown inπŸ˜€
+1 link
rockhopper
rockhopper

2/16/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
It took two attempts to summit Granite mtn. The first time we got slammed by a snow storm. This was back in the 90's. A week later we went back to clear sunny skies. Went up from the S2/East side following the dry creek trail. Neat grinding holes along the creek so look for them. Then up the ridge and scramble to the top.
More recently from Rodriguez canyon. I parked near the turmoline mine near the PCT and just scrambled up the west side.

Scooter. Is that the gold mine the one with a shaft on the south side of the mountain slope? That oriflamme canyon road from the bottom was "interesting" to get to the saddle. I think I'll only drive it once.
edited by rockhopper on 2/16/2019
+1 link
Scooter
Scooter

2/16/2019
Scooter
Scooter
Yes it is it is the mine shaft on the Topo in section 21. The old dirt road takes you to the mine. I am sure Oriflamme road is very muddy right now. I would wait until it dries out. It was a great trip
+1 link
rockhopper
rockhopper

2/18/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
Scooter. Right. I followed the old Mine road up to the mine. That vertical shaft looked so sketchy. I wonder how many bones are at the bottom?
Rocko1: Here is a pic of the peak canister. I wonder if it's still there?

Followed trail up the creek bed from the east. Winter camp of the early peoples.

+1 link