HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Snow and more sheep Messages in this topic - RSS

Buford
Buford

12/30/2019
Buford
Buford
Headed out for two nights this past weekend for the desert snow. It had already been melting for a couple days so there was less than I hoped for, but still enough for some pretty scenery.

Tire tracks from the night before:

It was cold overnight:

I always like seeing cacti and snow, they seem out of place together:

Was not looking for sheep, but saw these guys on the side of the road again. Most of the same individual sheep, same place as a couple weeks ago:

I think he is sick of me taking pictures of him:

I climbed the hill opposite the sheep to try and get a better lineup with the Santa Rosa ridge line. I wanted the sheep to silhouette against the snow capped mountains. They would not cooperate and my traveling companion didn't want to wait all day for me to possibly get the picture so this was the best I got:

Other random pictures:

Drove to the other end of the park I was not looking for sheep, again, but saw them anyway. Here are three small sheep pixels on the far hillside:

All four, vanishing over the ridge before I could get any decent shots in the good evening light.

Sunrise and the same four sheep walked by camp in the morning.

It was amazing how scared the sheep were of the canyon bottom. The rams eyed the canyon bottom for a half hour before bolting across at full gallop. It happened too quick to get any pictures. I guess the shrubs were greener on the other side of the canyon.

Bashing in a barrel and eating it later:

The wildlife biologist tag sheep all over the park:

Multi tasking: tail up, pellets out, and eating:

I also saw sheep along I8 on the way home. Total for the trip was snow, cold and sheep from 3 different recovery regions.

As I go through the pictures I might post more.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
link
Buford
Buford

12/30/2019
Buford
Buford
Good to see all the snow on Laguna and Cuyamaca.

I am using a Sony a6400 and Sigma 150-600C run through an MC-11 adapter for the pictures.

Here are a couple more, some just alternates of ones already posted. Editing and culling photos today. Some edited better than others:

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
+1 link
deborah
deborah

1/15/2020
deborah
deborah
tekewin wrote:
I've had feelings of a cougar being nearby twice in AB. Once in Cougar Canyon on the way back from Square Top. The other by Goat BM below San Ysidro. Near Goat BM, I also smelled cougar urine shortly after picking up a baby deer skull. A little freaky.

I can see how that would be a little freaky. I don't really know how much of it really is just in my head, but I know I think about it more around early dawn hours and dusk. And things like canyons versus open space. I've never seen one, but I know that doesn't mean that they haven't seen me.
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

1/16/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
During an overnight backpack last year with my wife to Bighorn/Nolina Canyon she woke me abruptly up in the middle of the night saying there was something sniffing the outside of our tent loudly. I said it was probably a field mouse, go back to sleep.. There were lots of fresh, large cat tracks the next morning and we were camping within a few hundred yards of the guzzler.
+1 link