HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Indian Hill and RR Camp area Messages in this topic - RSS

TR
TR

10/5/2011
TR
TR
I went out Saturday for a day hike in the Indian Hill area. I got a late start. I figured I would hike out to the rail road camp first, and swing back and check out the rock art at Indian Hill on my way back. I had checked out the map. It showed a 4 wheel drive route from Dos Cabezas Road across the valley from the tracks to the track on the other side. Cutting off the loop of tracks to the north. A trip report said the 4 WD road started at the end of the guard rails on Dos Cabezas road. When I got there it was blocked off and signed no off road vehicles. So I continued on, and parked off the road and hiked in. After crossing the tracks and the steep chasm on the other side, I ran into what I thought was the 4 WD road.

So I hiked across the dessert keeping it to my right as I went. Later I discovered that this was not the 4 WD route. It was to my left as I hiked. The 4 WD road ran parallel to this old road. They came together eventually after about a mile and a half. I'm thinking it was an old wagon route used by the rail road workers.
After a short time I found my first ever pottery shard!

I was pretty excited. I've found morteros before, but no pottery shards.
Then I started finding old cans from the Rail Road days.

Try as I might, I didn't find the RR Camp. I figured it would be easier to spot, with the great quantities of cans, the blasting power keg wall, and the "chin up bar" door frame stick up. But I missed it. I think I was close.

This section of track was stamped 1913.
I didn't find the cave and the rock art. I figured that it was okay, even Daren didn't find it his first trip out.
There was a thunder storm over the Carrizo Palms area, so I thought it best to head back. As it was I didn't make it out of there until 6:45.

All in all I consider the trip a sucess, I found the pottery shards and the cans, and lizzards and jack rabbits, but no snakes. And any day hiking in the desert is a good day.
link