HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

North McCain Valley Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

7/4/2021
tommy750
tommy750
Watched a work-mandated OSHA heat exposure video last week so figured I was ready for summer hiking. "Rest, Shade, Water", it advised. Headed out to McCain Valley where it was 86 when I arrived at 9 am (forecast said high of 83). Occasional nice shady spot:

IMG_6767 by tomteske, on Flickr

Found this little guy inside. Looks like a striped racer.(7/20/21 Correction: going to have to change my mind on that; looks more like at Coast Patchnose; you can check here for more info: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/s.h.virgultea.html ) It waited till I got a few pics and zipped away. Saw/heard one other snake but it rattled and zipped away before a pic.

IMG_6762 by tomteske, on Flickr

Came across a couple nice rock shelters with flakes and sherds near a village site overlooking Pepperwood Canyon:

IMG_6780 by tomteske, on Flickr

Uniface stone tool:

IMG_6774 by tomteske, on Flickr

This poor little guy was deep in a rock shelter:

IMG_6755 by tomteske, on Flickr

Was going to head father north but only had 3L and some areas felt 95-100 degrees (was 93 degrees when I got back) so made it to a ridge overlooking Canebrake to take a peek at what the Overland Fire had done and turned back. You can see the red streaks where the fire retardant was dropped. Overall, didn't look too torn up at least from my vantage point.

IMG_6804 by tomteske, on Flickr

About six miles and another nice day out hiking. Happy 4th. Tom
edited by tommy750 on 7/20/2021
+1 link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

7/27/2021
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Rocko1 wrote:
Good point. I would love to try a lightweight umbrella but with hiking sticks I can't.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+2 link
tommy750
tommy750

7/6/2021
tommy750
tommy750
rockhopper wrote:
Nice Trip. Looks like a juvenile cat. Too bad. Cougar? Bob cat? Definitely heading to higher elevations or close to the coast for the summer.

I am guessing it was bobcat based on its size and where it was found. Ziphius, any thoughts?
+1 link
tommy750
tommy750

7/6/2021
tommy750
tommy750
Rocko1 wrote:
Nice report. I have often found boulder caves in AB and other areas and thought-how did someone NOT occupy this as a shelter-seems more than likely someone did at some point in history.

RE: El Cajon Mtn-just did this yesterday with a 5:20am start. Even with the temps not that high, the humidity, lack of wind and near constant exposure coupled with some laughably steep climbs, it's a tough one! I would say it's harder than Granite's southwest approach.

Agree and agree.
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius

7/27/2021
ziphius
ziphius
People should carry a hiking umbrella on *shadeless* El Cajon Mountain in warm weather. Your head + torso will be 10 - 15 degrees cooler. Carrying one is worth it if you get injured or just to keep you cooler, with a side benefit of it making you pay more attention to your footwork. My qualifications for pontification? 100 + round-trips on the mountain, including 90 degree plus days, without incident. Rangers tell me they do about a rescue a week up there, sometimes involving an airlift, which I've aided with once.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
+1 link
tekewin
tekewin

7/28/2021
tekewin
tekewin
Rocko1 wrote:
Not a bad idea Daren. https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Vi-Umbrella-Adjustable-Multifunction-Headwear/dp/B07SXJ5B8W/ref=asc_df_B07SXJ5B8W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366324011962&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5986338963772733368&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031318&hvtargid=pla-811831028639&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79098076547&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366324011962&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5986338963772733368&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031318&hvtargid=pla-811831028639

Definitely scare away the cougars wearing that.
+1 link
deborah
deborah

7/29/2021
deborah
deborah
Rocko1 wrote:
tommy750 wrote:
A few years back I showed up in McCain for a mid summer overnight trip with Daren while wearing all white including a big floppy hat. As I recall, the ensemble went over like a lead mylar as did prior discussions about a reflective hiking umbrella. Never got one but still think it would be a good idea in low wind open terrain. Don't forget the SPF part. Have already had my share of skin cancers removed and total body coverage with something, sunscreen or clothing, is a good idea.

On the way down from Rabbit one in our group had an ultralight reflective umbrella. 6-7oz if I recall. It also had a hand strap that attached to your shoulder strap so your hand could hold umbrella shaft and quasi rest your wrist at the same time. 2 miles from the trailhead it was 92F and 1-5mph winds. I tried it for a few minutes and it helped with the heat greatly. The shadow cast covered about the top 40% of your body. Having air move around you while in the shade it much cooler and preferable that just having clothing-however breathable-cover your skin. Of course would work for rain too.

Is it worth the weight?

Cons-can't use 2 hiking poles, weight, doesn't hold up to strong wind-will break.

I have a Sea to Summit umbrella that I occasionally carry. I like it for days that are particularly hot when I know I'm going to be out all day. I may only use it for a few hours, but even then it really helps with the heat.

If I'm going to be doing more trail running then I leave it behind to save weight and volume.

Yeah, it doesn't work well if it's really windy or if you're scrambling. But I find that when it's warm enough to use the umbrella, the rocks are too hot to climb around on anyway, so that problem kinda works itself out. It's just a different kind of outing.

And I've actually used it for hiking in the rain too. smile
+1 link