Home4WD Discussions

Talk about your vehicle and vehicle upgrades here. Anza Borrego Off Road

New tires Messages in this topic - RSS

hikerdmb
hikerdmb

11/5/2011
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
After 7 years driving with 20" rims I finally got rid of them. I have had this truck since new and have not really liked the 20" wheels since I got it. I have been through a couple sets of tires and wanted to get back to BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires. I have had BF Goodrich on other trucks in the past and knew they were the tires I wanted again. Since they don't make them in a size for my wheels I decided I would get some 17" wheels.

I watched the prices for a few months and a couple weeks ago Discount Tire had a good price and a nice rebate, so I paid them a visit. I decided on 285/70/17 for the tires (these are almost exactly the same size as the 275/60/20 tires I have had since buying the truck new). I opted for the E load range version of these tires since I use the truck to carry a pop-up camper. These tires have a total of 10 ply and should be more than strong enough for my camper. For wheels I went with V-Tec Off-Road rims in 17"X8.5". These wheels are black but with a machined face.

I just got back from my first trip with the new tires and wheels and so far so good. I didn't do anything too rough on this first trip, but I sure felt confident I wasn't going to get a flat from going over sharp rocks.

Here are a couple of pics of the new tires and wheels.

Close up of the new tires and wheels.

Love this tread!

Next step will be new shocks and a front end leveling kit.
link