Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

New Years Trip-Scratching the Surface Messages in this topic - RSS

DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside

1/6/2012
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice on places to check out over the New Years weekend. We managed to squeeze in numerous day trips and reconnoiter several places to go back and visit when there is more time. The down side of that strategy is that we only spent enough time in one place to wet our whistle for more.

We managed to locate the cave/shelter on Indian Hill and spent some time checking out the hill a little. Very impressive and I would like to go back and "explore" more, as well as check out the RR camp. Makes me wonder how many similar Native American sites are out there waiting to be found for the first time smile The campfire remains are still there and look the same as in other pics on this site.

We also hiked up through Moonlight Canyon all the way to Inner Pasture. We did not go into the Inner Pasture, but ate some snacks and hung out a while before heading back down Moonlight. I was really hoping to see some sheep, (their droppings were everywhere, some quite fresh) but we were skunked this time. Watched a couple Red Tailed Hawks for a while and saw a few lizards but that was it. No people.
Later on the same day, we headed out Indian Gorge and into the south fork all the way to the end. What a pretty place... No one in the camp spot at the end, so we checked out the palms, scrambled around on the boulders and just enjoyed the solitude.

Another day we drove out to the end of one fork (west?) of June Wash just to see what was there. Hiked around and explored a little. Only a few people camping along the wash, but we did see a park ranger near far end of the wash--she was heading back out. I wonder if that is part of their rounds, or they just do a "head count" occasionally.

All in all a successful trip, we checked out a lot of places, the samurai didn't break down, and now we have more info about some sites for future/return trips. Cant wait to go back

I am working to convince the wife to do some primitive camping in the area, she loves to hike and explore, but it might be a hard sell. She's a trooper but she doesn't have much interest in tent camping and sleeping in the back of a truck anymore. Those days might be over : )
My brother says he is game, so maybe a trip in the next few weeks, work schedule permitting. I wouldn't mind doing the Indian Valley thing and hiking to the top of Sombrero.

Out of curiosity can you overnight in Inner Pasture? What about the parts that are outside of the park boundaries?

Here is a link to some pics:

link

Happy New Year!

Dave
link