HomeAnza Borrego Flower Report

Latest flower reports from Anza Borrego.

Anza Borrego Wildflower Report ? Messages in this topic - RSS

surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/19/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
Hey All,
Curious as to how the wildflowers are progressing in Anza Borrego?
We just got back from 8 days in Baja Sur and the desert was blooming everywhere.

Funny that although central and southern Baja are also considered the Sonoran desert that some of the flora is very different.

The Cardons are our new favorite cactus. smile (Last pic)







Map showing the Sonoran Desert range

<em>edited by surfponto on 2/19/2012</em>

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87


2/19/2012
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87
I was anywhere from the 900'-4500' elevation in the Borrego Palm Canyon area on Saturday and only saw a few flowers. Things were looking slightly greener than they were a few weeks ago though.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


2/20/2012
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
Baja Sonora looks pretty lush compared to ABDSP right now! I saw a lot of 'micro-blooms' in the Inner Pasture over the weekend, but no big areas of coverage, just isolated blooms. The exception being Ocotillo, which were starting to bloom almost everywhere I looked. Also some nice blooms of white-flowered Ceanothus far up in the canyons, where there is a bit more water. smile

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
anutami
anutami
Posts: 485


2/20/2012
anutami
anutami
Posts: 485
Nice baja trip, I have been very apprehensive about going down to baja these last couple of years. We love bahia de los angeles, la bufadora (kayaked to todos santos from there), and scorpian bay. Any issues while you were down? Looks pretty wet down there and the hood of your cruiser is covered in mud spray.

I camped at Mortero Palms trailhead on Sat Night and they are trying to come out...





link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/20/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
Thanks
Trying to plan an overnight trip and was hoping the wildflowers were starting.
Sounds like at least a couple more weeks

Bob

hvydrt wrote:
I was anywhere from the 900'-4500' elevation in the Borrego Palm Canyon area on Saturday and only saw a few flowers. Things were looking slightly greener than they were a few weeks ago though.


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/20/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
We were blown away by the Desert down in Baja Sur and Central Baja.
Very beautiful.
Flowers were coming up everywhere.

Your Inner Pasture trip sounds great,
Bob

ziphius wrote:
Baja Sonora looks pretty lush compared to ABDSP right now! I saw a lot of 'micro-blooms' in the Inner Pasture over the weekend, but no big areas of coverage, just isolated blooms. The exception being Ocotillo, which were starting to bloom almost everywhere I looked. Also some nice blooms of white-flowered Ceanothus far up in the canyons, where there is a bit more water. smile


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/20/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
I like Bahia also. Great fishing
Last couple trips we camped out there and then headed over to the Pacific for surf.

You kayaked from La Bufadorato to Todos Santos Island !! That is impressive

We didn't have any issues but most people always say we are crazy for going down.

Thanks for posting the flower pictures.smile





anutami wrote:
Nice baja trip, I have been very apprehensive about going down to baja these last couple of years. We love bahia de los angeles, la bufadora (kayaked to todos santos from there), and scorpian bay. Any issues while you were down? Looks pretty wet down there and the hood of your cruiser is covered in mud spray.

I camped at Mortero Palms trailhead on Sat Night and they are trying to come out...



--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
Buford
Buford
Posts: 333


2/20/2012
Buford
Buford
Posts: 333
Cool Baja pics. I have never been down there during flower season. I really enjoy the scenery between El Rosario to just past Catavina, but have never stopped to explore the area.
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


2/20/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
Funny that is exactly where we came out of after heading up from Punta Rosaliita. I had always wanted to follow the coast up on the dirt roads and this was the first time we did it.
We ended up hitting pavement just north of Catavina.

Incredible desert area. The Cordons are amazing in that area.



Buford wrote:
Cool Baja pics. I have never been down there during flower season. I really enjoy the scenery between El Rosario to just past Catavina, but have never stopped to explore the area.


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software