HomeAnza Borrego Backcountry

Hard to get places in Anza Borrego which require 4WD or hiking

After The Rains Messages in this topic - RSS

DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135


9/15/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135
We've had 3 pretty big storms out here this summer. Each time the flood waters change the washes where the trails are. So, if you want to have some fun bring your 4WD out and try to figure where you are! Some areas are washed out, some are very sandy, and some washes are super wide, it's all great! Some signs remain to keep you from getting into areas that you don't want to go into. A simple trip up to Fonts in your mini van or rental car is a thing of the past. When nature removes or hardens the sand then they can still get up there and who knows how long that will take. Plus someone can make a lot of money pulling tourists out of Fonts Wash!Owned
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469


9/16/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469
DesertWRX wrote:
Plus someone can make a lot of money pulling tourists out of Fonts Wash!Owned


It was 2-3 years ago it rained a lot at Christmas and I went out to Pyramid Peak and remember seeing a Jeep stuck up to the floor boards 2 feet off the pavement right at the Fonts Wash turn off.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951


9/16/2012
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951
DesertWRX wrote:
We've had 3 pretty big storms out here this summer. Each time the flood waters change the washes where the trails are. So, if you want to have some fun bring your 4WD out and try to figure where you are! Some areas are washed out, some are very sandy, and some washes are super wide, it's all great! Some signs remain to keep you from getting into areas that you don't want to go into. A simple trip up to Fonts in your mini van or rental car is a thing of the past. When nature removes or hardens the sand then they can still get up there and who knows how long that will take. Plus someone can make a lot of money pulling tourists out of Fonts Wash!Owned


You're right on. Took a drive out to Yuha Desert 8-24-12 and barely could tell if I was on the road or off. Here's a few pics before and after the flash flood at the Sandstone Canyon Collapse. One is from 11-7-10 and the others from 8-12-12. Notice where the large boulder is when compared to the little sagebrush hanging on the wall on the right side of the pics. One of the night shots is a composite and not exactly the same view but I think it shows what happened. Tom


Before Sandstone Flashflood by tomteske, on Flickr


Sandstone Canyon Flash Flood by tomteske, on Flickr


Sandstone Canyon Flash Flood2 by tomteske, on Flickr
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135


9/16/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135
This is that fall in Sandstone Canyon early August. You used to drive up and over it on the far left. You need a rock crawler vehicle to do it now! We made it through another way.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/BillFX/552662_10150958052736372_2039347431.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/BillFX/480470_10150958054011372_2041740162.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/BillFX/559230_10150958054726372_1265418446.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/BillFX/550969_10150958057176372_1378741298.jpg[/IMG]
We just drove through the narrow spot to get out!
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951


9/16/2012
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 951
DesertWRX wrote:
This is that fall in Sandstone Canyon early August. You used to drive up and over it on the far left. You need a rock crawler vehicle to do it now! We made it through another way.

We just drove through the narrow spot to get out!


Nice. My pickup is about 80" wide and doesn't have the clearance for pulling that stuff off!
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135


9/17/2012
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Posts: 135
We got some scratched fender flares going through the rough stuff and attempting to come back that way. We gave up on the way back and did the easy drive thru!
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


9/18/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


Love this shot smile

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software