HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Torote Canyon Loop - Solo Backpacking TR Messages in this topic - RSS

hikerdmb
hikerdmb

11/20/2012
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
I had a trip planned for Joshua Tree this week but my buddy got sick and couldn't make it so I decided to do this hike instead. This would allow me to get out still but not have to go so far. I have camped in Indian Valley too many times to count but had never taken the time to hike up Torote Canyon. A couple of years ago Daren did a TR on this area and I think I pretty much did the same route he did on that trip. The drive out in the jeep was very nice. The temps were in the mid 70s and there was hardly any wind at all. When I turned up into Indian Gorge the weather was still perfect. I pulled into the parking area for Torote Canyon, parked, and started hiking about 1:30. It wasn't long before I saw the first Elephant Trees above the canyon floor.

Most of the way up the canyon was easy walking but ever so often I would come to a spot like this that took a little more effort to get up and over.

I eventually made it to the upper reaches of the canyon and it started opening up a bit. Here was my first view of Sombrero Peak. Notice the tracks in the wash. These were mostly bighorn sheep tracks. There were plenty of human tracks the first mile, then only one or two sets of tracks, and after a couple of miles nothing but lots and lots of animal tracks.

The farther I went up past the end of the canyon the better the view became. This is looking south, I could see the Goat Canyon Trestle with my binoculars, from near the spot where I would camp for the night.

I awoke to a wonderful sunrise with Venus rising in the east. My iPhone does not take good low light pics.

Here is a pic I took from my sleeping bag. I always have called this mountain Little Sombrero but I think it's real name is Red Top. It is quite red in the morning light.

There wasn't much room on top of the hill where I made my camp but my sleeping pad and bag fit nicely between the rocks and plants. Not to mention there was a great view.

I had originally thought I would just backtrack the way I came in but decided instead to complete the loop by dropping down a small canyon just west of my campsite. Here is a pic about halfway down, looking up.

And this is the view of the entire drop from the floor of North Indian Valley. It was quite the rocky descent. Of course I have to say it never looks as steep in pics as in real life.

Once to the bottom it was a couple miles back to the jeep on nice easy washes and the hard packed road. This is the map of my route. I went in a counter clockwise direction from the parking area. Notice the tent symbol at my campsite.

I didn't see another person on this hike until I was almost back to the jeep where I saw a couple of car campers. I think if one were to spend some time up in this area you would see some sheep. I didn't, but I did see lots of scat and tracks.

A good trip for starting Thanksgiving vacation.
link