HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Sombrero Peak Hike Report Messages in this topic - RSS

AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170


12/3/2012
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170
Come join me on a rewarding hike out to Sombrero Peak in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park!




"Cone-shaped Sombrero Peak rises head and shoulders above the east lip of the McCain Valley plateau, overlooking a hundred-square mile expanse of rock-strewn mountains and gorges, sun-baked valleys, and distant badlands. Conversely, the peak itself is a prominent and familiar landmark widely observed from the desert below.
Climbing Sombrero Peak is a feat attempted by relatively few people, but not because of its height (4229 feet above sea level), which is quite modest. Rather, the peak is remote from paved roads, and its boulder-guarded flanks discourage those who are not willing to put up with either a long march to its base (from the west) or a shorter but sweaty eastern approach up from the desert floor." -Jerry Schad


More photos and the whole story here: http://johnandautumnsadventures.blogspot.com/2012/12/sombrero-peak-hike.html?utm_source=BP_recent
edited by BorregoWrangler on 12/3/2012
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275


12/3/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275
Looks like a great hike.
I like the shot with Sombrero Peak in the background.

Views from up there are amazing.

Thanks for posting
Bob
BorregoWrangler wrote:
Come join me on a rewarding hike out to Sombrero Peak in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park!




"Cone-shaped Sombrero Peak rises head and shoulders above the east lip of the McCain Valley plateau, overlooking a hundred-square mile expanse of rock-strewn mountains and gorges, sun-baked valleys, and distant badlands. Conversely, the peak itself is a prominent and familiar landmark widely observed from the desert below.
Climbing Sombrero Peak is a feat attempted by relatively few people, but not because of its height (4229 feet above sea level), which is quite modest. Rather, the peak is remote from paved roads, and its boulder-guarded flanks discourage those who are not willing to put up with either a long march to its base (from the west) or a shorter but sweaty eastern approach up from the desert floor." -Jerry Schad


More photos and the whole story here: http://johnandautumnsadventures.blogspot.com/2012/12/sombrero-peak-hike.html?utm_source=BP_recent
edited by BorregoWrangler on 12/3/2012


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518


12/3/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518
Yeah...you made it! Who took the registry???? Was the chain there?
Geez, I still need to to post my Thanksgiving trip.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 890


12/3/2012
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 890
Looks like it was a great day! I've done the same west approach a few times and always forgot how deceptively close Sombrero looks as you are walking towards it. Any photos of the tracks you saw? Nice TR. - Jim
edited by ziphius on 12/3/2012

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275


12/3/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275
I agree Jim,
From his picture it looks like a quick jog over to Sombrero Peak

smile

ziphius wrote:
Looks like it was a great day! I've done the same west approach a few times and always forgot how deceptively close Sombrero looks as you are walking towards it. Any photos of the tracks you saw? Nice TR. - Jim


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
anutami
anutami
Posts: 491


12/3/2012
anutami
anutami
Posts: 491
Nice report! Love the campsite pic. Did you come across any hunters out there? How is the campground holding up?I haven't been out there in years.
link
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62


12/3/2012
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62
Here is a pic of the register from February when we hiked up from the desert floor.

My brother opening it up.






Post and Chain on one of the "flats" on the way up. What do you think it is/was for? Securing instruments of some sort? The concrete looked pretty new in february but the post and chain did not...
link
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170


12/3/2012
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170
Daren Sefcik wrote:
Yeah...you made it! Who took the registry???? Was the chain there?
Geez, I still need to to post my Thanksgiving trip.


No, there was only the anchor and one chain link left.


ziphius wrote:
Any photos of the tracks you saw?



Sorry, no pics of the tracks. There were so many, I should have.


anutami wrote:
Nice report! Love the campsite pic. Did you come across any hunters out there? How is the campground holding up?I haven't been out there in years.





Yeah, on the way back we passed a few guys out quail hunting. There were also some guys hanging out at the old homestead who were just shooting. The campground is very nice! Tree-shaded campsites, sppring water, and bathrooms.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518


12/3/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518
BorregoWrangler wrote:
Daren Sefcik wrote:
Yeah...you made it! Who took the registry???? Was the chain there?
Geez, I still need to to post my Thanksgiving trip.

No, there was only the anchor and one chain link left.



Guess we need to plan a trip out and hoof up a new registry...

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+1 link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275


12/4/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1275
Count me in.

Daren Sefcik wrote:
BorregoWrangler wrote:
Daren Sefcik wrote:
Yeah...you made it! Who took the registry???? Was the chain there?
Geez, I still need to to post my Thanksgiving trip.

No, there was only the anchor and one chain link left.



Guess we need to plan a trip out and hoof up a new registry...


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Posts: 423


12/4/2012
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Posts: 423
I wonder if there is a connection? Peak registers have been disappearing from Sierra peaks for a couple of years. Some of the ones taken have been old with some famous signatures in them.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518


12/4/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518
I know 2 years ago the register at Telescope peak had been replaced, not sure why, I was there 3 years ago and it was in good shape and not needing any swap out.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170


12/7/2012
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170
That's just weird that someone would take it. Could it be the Park Service? I know that they don't want GPS caches in the state park.

Here's a route through Pepperwood Canyon I would like to hike one day. Trail head is also at Cottonwood Campground. It eventually takes you out to the S2.

edited by BorregoWrangler on 12/7/2012
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518


12/9/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2518
I would be up for that, I have never been down Pepperwood but I know the rest of the route well. When you wanna go? 1 day or 2 day? Do you know anybody that could drop us off at Cottonwood so we wouldn't have to drive back there?

With a 2 day trip you could explore more of Inner Pasture and head out over Moonlight Canyon, maybe have someone drop us off at Cottonwood and meet us at Agua Caliente for a camp fire and camp out and cold beer.

A Border Patrol agent said the area around the spring on the way down Pepperwood looks like a clothing aisle at Walmart.

BorregoWrangler wrote:
Here's a route through Pepperwood Canyon I would like to hike one day. Trail head is also at Cottonwood Campground. It eventually takes you out to the S2.



--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170


12/10/2012
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170
Daren Sefcik wrote:
I would be up for that, I have never been down Pepperwood but I know the rest of the route well. When you wanna go? 1 day or 2 day? Do you know anybody that could drop us off at Cottonwood so we wouldn't have to drive back there?

With a 2 day trip you could explore more of Inner Pasture and head out over Moonlight Canyon, maybe have someone drop us off at Cottonwood and meet us at Agua Caliente for a camp fire and camp out and cold beer.

A Border Patrol agent said the area around the spring on the way down Pepperwood looks like a clothing aisle at Walmart.


That sure sounds interesting. It would probably be a few months until I could do this, when I'm not so busy. I was thinking about doing this as a day hike but an overnighter sounds good too. We'd probably have to leave a vehicle at each end of the route though.
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software