HomeAnza Borrego Environmental

Environmental issues regarding Anza Borrego

Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan-Article Messages in this topic - RSS

DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62


12/20/2012
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62
Saw this today. Haven't checked out too many of the details but it seems that there are big plans afoot to mess with many of the desert areas we all enjoy.
I'm all for renewable energy, but there has got to be a better way than many of these options. (Alternative 7 seems ok) smile

A Glimpse at What's Coming in the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan
http://www.kcet.org/news/rewire/government/drecp/a-glimpse-at-whats-coming-in-the-desert-renewable-energy-conservation-plan.html



---
Sent from Zite personalized magazine app.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551


12/21/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551
It is pretty much everywhere, Ocotillo should be the wake up call if anything. Here is more disaster for the Boulevard Community

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/11983

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1278


12/21/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1278
It is just insanity. Why aren't we focused on covering buildings and parking lots with PV instead of destroying wilderness.

Sucks that developers can get the land cheap.

Guess it is good for their bottom line and investors upset

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1278


12/21/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1278
I love seeing my employer (UCSD) installing more and more PV.
UCSD has covered the building I work in (pic) as well as the parking structures around campus with large photo-voltaic panels.


No nature was harmed in the making of this solar farm wink

--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551


12/21/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551
I know the school I work for has been installing rooftop solar for the last few years and recently a solar powered vehicle re-charging station. They claim a significant reduction in electricity bills.

Didn't come from the desert, came from our rooftop.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1278


12/21/2012
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1278
Hey that is a good idea for a bumper sticker of an electric car smile
That or maybe something like "No back-country was destroyed in powering this vehicle !"

dsefcik wrote:
I know the school I work for has been installing rooftop solar for the last few years and recently a solar powered vehicle re-charging station. They claim a significant reduction in electricity bills.

Didn't come from the desert, came from our rooftop.


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87


12/21/2012
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87
dsefcik wrote:
I know the school I work for has been installing rooftop solar for the last few years and recently a solar powered vehicle re-charging station. They claim a significant reduction in electricity bills.

Didn't come from the desert, came from our rooftop.


Those school rooftop solar projects are paid for with obama cash. They will never pay for themselves with money saved on electricity bills.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 898


12/21/2012
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 898
surfponto wrote:
I love seeing my employer (UCSD) installing more and more PV.
UCSD has covered the building I work in (pic) as well as the parking structures around campus with large photo-voltaic panels.


No nature was harmed in the making of this solar farm wink


I was happy to see those PV panels going up at UCSD. Always brings a smile to my face when I walk up there for lunch. smile

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551


12/21/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551
mrkmc wrote:
dsefcik wrote:
I know the school I work for has been installing rooftop solar for the last few years and recently a solar powered vehicle re-charging station. They claim a significant reduction in electricity bills.

Didn't come from the desert, came from our rooftop.


Those school rooftop solar projects are paid for with obama cash. They will never pay for themselves with money saved on electricity bills.
I am not sure how you determine that, we are not a public school and we negotiate contracts with our vendors. I suppose our vendors could be dealing some back end solar dollar funds (like all of the other desert projects). We (our school) decided to install solar, not Obama. If you want to make a political statement that is fine, I am not advocating for Obama or anyone else...except maybe Mother Nature.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551


12/21/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551
I should probably add that our first school solar installation was in 2007, before Obama was president.

dsefcik wrote:
mrkmc wrote:
dsefcik wrote:
I know the school I work for has been installing rooftop solar for the last few years and recently a solar powered vehicle re-charging station. They claim a significant reduction in electricity bills.

Didn't come from the desert, came from our rooftop.


Those school rooftop solar projects are paid for with obama cash. They will never pay for themselves with money saved on electricity bills.
I am not sure how you determine that, we are not a public school and we negotiate contracts with our vendors. I suppose our vendors could be dealing some back end solar dollar funds (like all of the other desert projects). We (our school) decided to install solar, not Obama. If you want to make a political statement that is fine, I am not advocating for Obama or anyone else...except maybe Mother Nature.


--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62


12/21/2012
DRT Lakeside
DRT Lakeside
Posts: 62
I still think this solar roadway idea is a pretty elegant solution. I know it is a huge paradigm shift and infrastructure undertaking, but even if they just did new parking lots or new roads it might be worth a try. Rooftops are probably much easier though smile

Link to earlier topic and TED Video

click here
link
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87


12/23/2012
mrkmc
mrkmc
Posts: 87
Darren, I am willing to bet it was some kind or federal grant or rebate. When I say Obama, I just mean federal government.

The solar and wind thing is a big joke. it takes up so much space and is so inefficient. San Onfore generates power for 1.5 million homes, Ocitillo wind farm, 125,000. WTF?
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551


12/23/2012
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2551
Agreed, there was/is probably gov subsidies somewhere in all of our solar installations but I do not know.

I think my point to the topic was that the solar power our schools are generating is on the rooftop, not in the desert. Whether it is cost effective or not is another discussion.

Mark, your points are well taken.

Thanks....

mrkmc wrote:
Darren, I am willing to bet it was some kind or federal grant or rebate. When I say Obama, I just mean federal government.

The solar and wind thing is a big joke. it takes up so much space and is so inefficient. San Onfore generates power for 1.5 million homes, Ocitillo wind farm, 125,000. WTF?


--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software