HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Subject: Grapevine Cyn Side Trip Messages in this topic - RSS

waning moon
waning moon

2/10/2013
waning moon
waning moon
Grapevine Canyon, Angelina Spring, the landmark Cottonwood now burned, I remember hearing about the fire in
San Felipe but did not know it jumped the ridge. Very start contrast to the lush creek bed it was. I did not see any
flowing water in the bed and understand it stopped some time ago. I would go gold panning in the creek probably
around 1972 or so, Northern end of canyon South of the WW ranch, small gold mine some ways up the canyon
as you climb out NW. Water ran from ranch to almost the mouth of Grapevine where it dived into the gravel. The
road led right down the creek then and was just a pleasent drive.

More of Angelina, very hot fire burned out the understory and the trees save a few. As sad as it looks it is a phase,
plant species never seen except after a fire will appear this spring, then grasses (most non-native), then seed crop,
low brush in the next two seasons

Here is a large milling site, indicative of permanent habitation, I have never read an Archeological survey of this site
so not sure what village, since there was a large Kamia village in San Felipe maybe the same here, but Grapevine
leads up to Warners so always wonder if it was Cupeno.

Closer to the mouth where Grapevine empties into San Felipe, felt eyes watching, and of course I did not have the
telephoto lens on and no time to change, a beautiful herd of Borrego or more properly Cimarron.Never saw the
Alpha Ram, other side of ridge, but 5-6 males and ewes, some looked pregnant, all healthy.

Spending time in many side canyons now, as long as we can drive in and out, Flu hit me hard, 3 days in the hospital
and a couple of weeks down and out, this when I was just starting to feel good and considering some short hikes.

Bob you must be proud of me, full size photos all by myself, I think I almost have it down

edited by waning moon on 2/10/2013
link