HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Subject: Inner Pasture. Not! Messages in this topic - RSS

TR
TR

3/5/2013
TR
TR
Well I went for a two day hike of the Inner Pasture. It was my first foray into the desert since I was hospitalized in the end of November / beginning of December. I chose the Inner Pasture purposely because it is such a gradual rise in elevation. I thought with my weight loss of 60 pounds, and my daily workout on the Total Gym, I was ready for it. That’s what I get for doing my own thinking.
I got out there Saturday morning, to a bright cloudless sky. I strapped on my 26 pound pack. That’s 16 pounds of equipment, and 10 pounds of water. Set my GPS, and activated my SPOT, so my wife can keep track of me, and set off.
I first came upon one of Daren’s water caches. Looks like this one is going to need refilled.

The desert is on the verge of blooming. A Chuperosa in bloom.

I have no idea what this is.

A cactus ready to bust out blooming all over.

Octillo

The openning of the canyon to the Inner Pasture.

I seemed to be hiking pretty slowly, even for me. I check my watch and the GPS, and I discovered that it had taken me an hour and a half to hike a little more than half a mile. I figured that I had two and a half miles to go to the Inner Pasture. I was exhausted, and more than a little disgusted with myself for being so out of condition. All that work on the Total Gym did nothing for my stamina and endurance. And I was planning on doing the Grand Canyon in April. I decided it would be prudent just to turn around and hike back to the LandCruiser. A lot of thing were going through my head on the way back. Not the least of which was, I was 60 years old and maybe it's time to give up the dream. I was even thinking that REI had the annual Used Gear Sale in a couple weeks, and I have a lot of really good, light weight equipment I could sell.

On the way back I ran into a couple of Border Patrol agents who were out looking for aliens in distress. They ask me if I had seen anybody. But I hadn't. By the time I got back to the LandCruiser, things looked brighter. I pledged to work on my endurance, and keep on hiking.

So the next day I went out towards the Salton Sea. I got off at Fonts Point because I always heard about it, but had never been there. There's a natural arch about in the center of this picture. Does any one know anything about this?

It was a really awsome view. I imagine I'm the last person to go up there, but if not it's worth it.
link