HomeGeneral Discussion

Topics not related specifically to Anza Borrego

Burial Grounds behind Jacumba? Messages in this topic - RSS

sddarkman619
sddarkman619

3/6/2013
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I lived in Jacumba for a while, and I've also toured around there and done some shooting out there. Behind Jacumba is a place we used to shoot that mysteriously looks like an old burial ground. I'm going to attach a picture and a link to this place on google maps. If anyone's been out there and knows what I am talking about, your thoughts?

The way out on this trail is by crossing the railroad tracks at the old Jacumba train station. However last time I was out there there was a fence and barb wire gate put up so I didn't go out there, especially since there was a border patrol right by there. I just passed on it that time. There are other trails off old highway 80 you can take to get back there, the trail from behind Jacumba isn't the only way.
Here's the link to the map:

and here's the picture of the area with the "graves" circled. The "graves" are rock piles that look to have been warn down a bit, but if you get out there you will see what I am talking about.

edited by sddarkman619 on 3/6/2013
edited by sddarkman619 on 3/6/2013
link
ziphius
ziphius

3/6/2013
ziphius
ziphius
Welcome to the forum. The aerial image you posted does show some suspicious geometric features. No matter what these might be, it's generally a safe policy to not broadcast their location to the general public, because there are folks out there who "loot" cultural sites. You will probably notice cryptic references (even photos) on this forum to pictographs, petroglyphs, and other things of cultural interest to us "desert rats". smile But generally, we won't divulge the locations of things on the forum itself to ensure that these kinds of sites remain protected. There are a lot of folks out there who lurk on forums such as these to pick up tips on where to do their pillaging. I don't even like to get too specific on where I find (and leave in place) arrowheads. upset Your site does look interesting though!

ps - a lot of cell phones and digital cameras these days have GPS-enabled features that add location tags into the metadata of photo files. Other users can get GPS location data from your photos if they know where / how to look.
edited by ziphius on 3/6/2013

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
sddarkman619
sddarkman619

3/6/2013
sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Thanks Jim, Yeah I typically don't or wouldn't do that, not sure why I included the link but I removed it. Many people have already been there to this place. you can tell when you go there by all the bullet casings. I'm pretty sure someones also tried looking into the mounds. Either way, I removed the link. I know about the GPS stuff in cellphones and have mine turned off. and those photo's on the site I've posted my trips to were taken with a dSLR so no data there either.
Thanks for the welcome!
link
ziphius
ziphius

3/7/2013
ziphius
ziphius
Larry, no problem... again welcome aboard. You will find this forum to be a great resource and social spot. Look forward to seeing your posts. - Jim

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link