HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Elephant Knees Messages in this topic - RSS

anutami
anutami

3/11/2013
anutami
anutami
I have been itching to get back out in the park and decided to take a short trip to Elephant Knees (thanks for the suggestion Daren) to search for some fossils and get a different perspecitve of the park.

On the way out we encoutered some snow

and rainbows

and sinking pits of clay

Beautiful Washes

Sleeping at a slant all night (stuck in the clay pit all night), I was up at the crack of dawn and got some morning photos smile

I called the ranger headquarters on Friday to see if there were any rangers in the area, and all were off for the day. I am greatful Ranger Steve got the message and headed out to help me on Saturday morning. He is a great guy for helping me. We both put our rigs in 4wd LOW and he backed up while I drove forward! Wheels spun for a bit, but then the rig started to move. He would not even accept a tip or a soda or anything. All I could do was give him a big man hug. I will just include his tip in my next donation to the Anza Borrego Foundation.

I learned my lesson not to drive on redish ground with salt crust anymore. It was like driving into the La Brea CLAY Pits. Now I know where all the Native Americans made all those ollas from. Every shovel full to try and dig the rig out was approx 15lbs! I was soooo sore the morning. It was a great work out.

After about 15 hours of being delayed we could set our sites on Elephant Knees

there are ancient reefs all over the place. The kids and I for that matter could not believe this was once a shallow ocean!!!

Millions and Millions of fossilized sea life all over

On another planet...Tatooine?

Any Sand People around here?

We took Direct route up

Views looking to the South/ southwest from the top

Kids had a blast on the way down.

And even more of blast when they found this. This really made then believe this actually was an Ocean!!!
link