HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Let the season begin Messages in this topic - RSS

ziphius
ziphius

10/8/2013
ziphius
ziphius
Finally got out to the desert for a couple of one-nighters. First trip was a nice night hike up into Oriflamme, where my girlfriend had hiked into earlier in the day after a meet-up hike near Granite Mtn. I managed to find her in the dark, a couple of hundred yards away from where I thought she might set camp. Woke her up too! I'd had stuff to do during the day, so couldn't get out there until around nightfall. I got a late afternoon one-word text message that simply said "Oriflamme" and was on my way. I started out in the dark, but the moon came up about 45 minutes into the hike. Still, there was enough starlight to walk the road out towards the cottonwoods. Next morning, we worked our way up Oriflamme for some distance until it became too vegetation-choked to remain fun. We were looking for the waterfall that Schad mentions in his book, but didn't get to it, figured we needed to go another 1/2 mile. Morning sunrise and light:

[

Cottonwood:

Scary beasts:

Fun in the sun:

Also camped one night in Blair Valley and walked out to the pictographs. Hundreds of thousands of California patch butterflies were everywhere in Blair Valley, amazingly, I managed to not take a photo of any! But I photographed this little grayish/green guy:

Looking forward to getting out there for a longer trip soon!
edited by ziphius on 10/8/2013

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link